Chuck box ideas

• HTML tutorial

Kait&Alex

Rank I

Contributor III

Rochester, NY
Member #

Found an old Military tote on Craigslist, my dad informed me it was what they would bring into the field with hot food in it. I was excited! A perfect base for our chuck box. So I went to work and did some simple modifications. Nothing crazy.
Modifications
Wood to level out the shelves
A trial shelf to add storage - to be fixed at later date
Non slip pads because no one likes everything spilling out
Hinges to make it one unit
Wheels with locks to level it out and make it easier to slide in and out of the trailer
Wire hanger with s hooks for our utensils
WALAH! A very sturdy, easy chuck box.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: ElDusto

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

Found an old Military tote on Craigslist, my dad informed me it was what they would bring into the field with hot food in it. I was excited! A perfect base for our chuck box. So I went to work and did some simple modifications. Nothing crazy.
Modifications
Wood to level out the shelves
A trial shelf to add storage - to be fixed at later date
Non slip pads because no one likes everything spilling out
Hinges to make it one unit
Wheels with locks to level it out and make it easier to slide in and out of the trailer
Wire hanger with s hooks for our utensils
WALAH! A very sturdy, easy chuck box.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
let's see this thing!

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I went down the chuck box build road - super fun project. I ended up abandoning it due to weight (wood is heavy) and efficiency in packing it for overland travel. Not trying to talk anyone out of it just be aware of it. Some great designs out there - I've always liked @Corey box but he also changed into something lighter weight. https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/show-me-your-chuckboxes-camp-kitchen-setups.9395/#post-184877

I really like that Drifta 200 setup! Too bad they can't ship it to the US. I guess I'll just have to build my own. ;)
I think they have an agent who ships to the USA - Kakadu Camping.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Good thread, has given me some great ideas for building my own Chuck Box! BTW, I had never heard of a Chuck Box until I clicked on this thread! My idea is to build a Chuck Box that is mostly open inside but fitted to store plastic totes or those plastic drawers, this will help keep the weight of the box down. I'll build a nice top to hold my portable grill and should be nice. Tell you what, I'm finding all kinds of things to keep me busy on this forum and loving every minute of it!

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

I'm in the works now of converting my grandfathers military foot locker in a Chuck Box. The idea is for it to slide out of the cargo area on it's side and the "top" will open downward and act as the shelf for our cookstove.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm in the works now of converting my grandfathers military foot locker in a Chuck Box. The idea is for it to slide out of the cargo area on it's side and the "top" will open downward and act as the shelf for our cookstove.
Post pictures when you are done, very interested in what you come up with.