Chuck box build.

• HTML tutorial

Bairleafarm

Rank 0

Traveler I

I love to cook. Sometimes my son and I just go to to woods to make lunch. I'm tired of digging for stuff. I dont carry a lot but it's still a pain with my current box (pictured). I also want to build something that can house my stove and stove hose. 20181014_124512.jpeg20181014_125251.jpeg

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Oh man...I love your current box! I kinda sorta collect vintage wooden crates/boxes, especially military ones.

I know what you mean though about diggin' for stuff. It really gets old when you need something in the box quickly. I have a similar box in the back of my Rover, it's about twice the size though width wise. I keep tools, jumper cables, recovery gear and such in it. It can take awhile for me to find anything in it.

I feel your pain in re "can't even start a project without something going wrong"; that's the story of my life.

As to your build.... if you are interested in some additional design and build ideas you might want to check out the "Expedition Portal" forum. There is an entire section devoted to ideas, tips-n-tricks and such for kitchen chuck boxes.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sauerkraut088

Bairleafarm

Rank 0

Traveler I

That's not an old box or a military box. I'm just good at making stuff look old.

Dont forget the butter for the popcorn Jim

A few quick measurements have told me I am looking at about 22" tall, 33" wide, and 18" deep. Thar would be enough to hold big stuff. Pots, pans, stove, untinsels, etc. I think the spices will also stay in this. The actual food I bring can go in the old box.20181014_140248.jpegCollageMaker_20181014_141113588.jpeg

Bairleafarm

Rank 0

Traveler I

Dimensionally speaking I dont think this wood will work. Off to lowes I go. I plan on this having a front that folds down. Everything will slide in from the front. Nothing better than a couple hundred pounds dogs to help. 20181014_141807.jpeg20181014_141602.jpeg

Bairleafarm

Rank 0

Traveler I

Got the wood and even had a little time to work on it. I used one of the old boards for the back. I am not going for perfection and I like the look of old and new together. Notice the different in 100yo 3/4" vs today's 3/4". I got the first shelf in. The stove looks so happy. 25" tall, 32" wide and about 18" deep is what it ended up being. More to come later this week. 20181014_151202.jpeg20181014_145754.jpeg20181014_153020.jpeg20181014_154551.jpeg20181014_160051.jpeg

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

"Notice the different in 100yo 3/4" vs today's 3/4"."

That's why I save every scrap of old wood I can. We are restoring a house that's about 125 years old, you just can buy modern lumber and expect it to fit with the new - especially studs. I have bought larger pieces and cut it down to fit the originals though.

Bairleafarm

Rank 0

Traveler I

We have a old lumber yard locally that still cuts to size. I had several studs made when I redid my last house. Maybe you've got someone local who could cut some fir your projects.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

We have a old lumber yard locally that still cuts to size. I had several studs made when I redid my last house. Maybe you've got someone local who could cut some fir your projects.
Yes and no. There is a guy who owns his own sawmill that will do it - if you can catch him. He is retired and travels a lot so it's hit or miss. You can place an order yet it could be a month or two before you get it done.

So far I haven't had any issues cutting some down myself.

I've heard there are some lumber companies that are actually starting to carry the old, true dimensional lumber. One of them is about 30 miles away, but so far they haven't got any in.

Bairleafarm

Rank 0

Traveler I

The old chuck box has gotten buried but I plan on digging it out and finishing next week. I planned on staining the whole thing but the more I think about it I think I may go with a hunter green paint.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Bairleafarm

Rank 0

Traveler I

First coat of paint it on. I planned on staining this but with the different woods I decided on almond for the interior and hinter green for the exterior. I will dull them down before I put this into use. 20181118_105328.jpeg20181118_105333.jpeg20181118_105339.jpeg

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Years ago I was a scout leader and we usually had 5 or 6 chuck boxes. No 2 were alike. Some were well made ... others not so much. They all took a pretty good beating. The one thing they did have in common was that they were all Hunter Green and the interiors were plain wood. Good choice on the colour!

greydog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexcio
First Name
Hugh
Last Name
Bryce
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA5KLX
I was a assistant scout and we had one patrol that painted theirs purple, I know kinda strange but they liked it!

Reactions: PCO6