Contributor III

Lewistown, MT, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Green
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6IAI
I am loading her up for an overnighter at the shooting range with my buddy's this weekend, first trip out so we will see what all this Overlanding talk is about. Let us know how you like the 2" lift, I put a 4" lift on my Jeep years ago and I hated the way it drove so. A lift and bigger tires looks cool and helps with the ruff stuff but so far the dirt to icy pavement ratio favors the leave it alone side.

Reactions: mface7

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Strapped my traction boards on the back of the rack to see if that's where I want them. It's either there or in front of the axe and shovel on the driver side. Not sure what I'll do permanently yet.

1628807325523.png

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Pulled all the plastic trim off the stock running boards. I'll probably hit them with bed liner so they have some sort of grip. Little dirty under the plastic.
IMG_20210813_203542649.jpg

Reactions: Sparksalot

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Tuff Country torsion keys in front, add-a-leafs on back and new shocks all around. Added about 2" to Chuck's height.

Front brakes will get done this weekend - needs new rotors and pads. And I've decided to do a disc brake conversion on the rear as soon as I can, because drums suck.

Reactions: Sparksalot

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

K so brakes were delayed so I worked wheels and tires. Nixed the black paint on the wheels, maybe later. But now Chuck is beast mode...IMG_20210906_174149211_HDR.jpg
Some trimming needed, started with bumper...little cut Top and bottom, remove the plastic, whack with BFH, hit it with truck bed liner, adds 2" of clearance.
IMG_20210906_190648148.jpg

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Picked up a pair of USB plugs to replace two of the triple 12 volt sockets up front. Since these are always hot, I found these with power switch on Amazon:

Limited-time deal: iMESTOU Automobile USB Charger with Switch 36W Car Dual USB Quick Charge Adapter 2.1A &2.1A Fully Sealed Waterproof with Voltmeter for 12V/24V Motorcycle ATV Boat Marine RV etc
Pulled the panel holding all 3 sockets (PS the "clips" that keep this in place break off easily so be careful or you'll need to find a new way to put the panel back). Removed the doors that cover the lower two and the little black bumpers.

The sockets have sleeves on the back that unscrew and the pop right out. The holes were too small so I used a small hole saw on my drill press to ream them out to about 1 3/16".

Butt-connectors from the stock wires to the new ones, and heat shrink over top for good measure. Insert the new sockets (small ring screws on to hold them tight) and connected the wires. Boom! Working USB. Power switches work as advertised, seems fine sitting out front. We'll have to see how they hold up.

Oh, and if you happen to break off most or all of the clips that hold the panel back on, I suggest cutting them all the way off and strategically applying double sided foam tape to put it back in place. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Picked up a pair of USB plugs to replace two of the triple 12 volt sockets up front. Since these are always hot, I found these with power switch on Amazon:

Pulled the panel holding all 3 sockets (PS the "clips" that keep this in place break off easily so be careful or you'll need to find a new way to put the panel back). Removed the doors that cover the lower two and the little black bumpers.

The sockets have sleeves on the back that unscrew and the pop right out. The holes were too small so I used a small hole saw on my drill press to ream them out to about 1 3/16".

Butt-connectors from the stock wires to the new ones, and heat shrink over top for good measure. Insert the new sockets (small ring screws on to hold them tight) and connected the wires. Boom! Working USB. Power switches work as advertised, seems fine sitting out front. We'll have to see how they hold up.

Oh, and if you happen to break off most or all of the clips that hold the panel back on, I suggest cutting them all the way off and strategically applying double sided foam tape to put it back in place. Hypothetically speaking of course.
Link is giving me trouble, I'll have to get it done on the computer rather than phone later on...

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Picked up another set of 4 wheels last night so I can run a spare. 18" fuel throttle in silver. one of them has some wallowing in the lug holes, but since I only need 1 right now I can deal with that later. $120 for the set of 4, which brings the total for 8 wheels and 8 tires to $440 in all.

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Heading out this weekend into the north slope of the Uintahs (posted this campsite on the map). Elk season opens up on Saturday, heading up to be support for my dad (I missed the window to get a tag myself) and a family friend, and get my boys out of the day-to-day for a little bit. Oh, and let Chuck stretch his legs. In preparation I am putting my light bar up on the roof finally; built brackets over the weekend and hit them with self-etching primer. wanting to finish it off with bed liner, but having trouble tracking down rustoleum spray cans...everyone seems to be out of stock. Pics will be coming.

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Just while I'm thinking of it figured I'd put down the rest of the wish list:

Rear tire carrier
Rear locker
K&N intake
Snorkel
Raptor liner all around
Rear drawer storage
Some sort of storage in the rear side windows
Awning
12k lb winch
Touch screen radio and back up camera
Solar

There might be more that I am not considering right now.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Just while I'm thinking of it figured I'd put down the rest of the wish list:

Rear tire carrier
Rear locker
K&N intake
Snorkel
Raptor liner all around
Rear drawer storage
Some sort of storage in the rear side windows
Awning
12k lb winch
Touch screen radio and back up camera
Solar

There might be more that I am not considering right now.
Good list going there!

In regards to K&N intake, not sure what model fit your rig, but mine came with the K&N model that was an open design, not enclosed. I switched that out with an S&B Intake and like the enclosed style better, as far as keeping heat and debrid out of the filter, etc.

Reactions: mface7

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Good list going there!

In regards to K&N intake, not sure what model fit your rig, but mine came with the K&N model that was an open design, not enclosed. I switched that out with an S&B Intake and like the enclosed style better, as far as keeping heat and debrid out of the filter, etc.
from what I've looked at, the K&N is not an enclosed option for mine. I'll check out S&B; not familiar off the top of my head.

I'm open to other suggestions for stuff as well, particularly the storage in the rear side windows...I've seen the LRs with the exterior hatches in place of the windows, and the MOLLE panels in some. None of it is going to be readily available on the market, so I'll be going custom/DIY (which I don't mind) but not sure how I want to go about it. I think a MOLLE style setup would be good...it would give me the option to hang things like first aid kits, fishing poles and all that...

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

from what I've looked at, the K&N is not an enclosed option for mine. I'll check out S&B; not familiar off the top of my head.

I'm open to other suggestions for stuff as well, particularly the storage in the rear side windows...I've seen the LRs with the exterior hatches in place of the windows, and the MOLLE panels in some. None of it is going to be readily available on the market, so I'll be going custom/DIY (which I don't mind) but not sure how I want to go about it. I think a MOLLE style setup would be good...it would give me the option to hang things like first aid kits, fishing poles and all that...
Looks like S&B doesn't make one for the gas options from this timeframe, just the old 6.5L diesel.