Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Finally got my rig to get started, and he's a beast! Lovingly named after my wife's great uncle because he was an enormous (6'3", 370), rough-around-the-edges, outdoorsy lover of American horsepower, this boy's currently pretty much stock. Going to be using him to teach my 3 boys (14,12, 10) more about working on cars, and to get us out into the great outdoors without scratching up the wife's ride. Here's the current breakdown:

1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500
7.4L (454 ci) Vortec Engine
4L80E tranny
Stock suspension
Stock wheels, standard size tires
159,900 miles

Paint has no fading.
The lower right corner of the right barn door is tweaked a little.
3 rust spots and one dent on the passenger side.
Leather interior is worn, but not as bad as most I've seen this age.
Has the original stereo with cassette and optional CD player (HA!)
Stock running boards.
It will need a new windshield at some point

The only addition I can tell that's been done is a trailer brake control install.

First order of business is a good cleaning.

IMG_20200913_142024631_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200913_142038623_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200913_142052682_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200913_142107099_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

picked up set of 4 XD Badlands 18"x9" wheels for $100 for the set. Need to clean them up---chrome is a mess from road salt--then refinish before I mount and balance tires and figure out how much lift / body "work" I need for clearance.

Reactions: SuburbanSasquatch

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Following happening now:

- Ordered full set of replacement exterior lights (admitting I was wrong)
- Went to the pic-a- part to get a grill (mine is broken through at one of the attachment tabs) but didn't find anything but picked up:
- Plastic interior panel that was cracked.
- Bunch of interior screws that were missing
- Replacement for broken window switch
- Owner's manual since I didn't have one

Oh, and a Go Rhino grill guard with the headlight guards... for fifty-five bucks! Removed the rubber trim pieces and have run over it with sandpaper and wire wheel, and now applying the Rustoleum Rust Reformer, then I'll hit it with Rustoleum Pro Bed Liner

Also note the AWESOME personalized plates...this makes me happier than almost anything else.

Attachments

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

haven't made a lot of other progress, as i shifted to operation "park-the-wife's-car-in-the-garage-before-it-snows", which was successful. i had a 20' used shipping container dropped next to the house as a new shed/workshop, and that pretty much cleared her spot out.

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Removed the chrome trim from the fender flares as well as the plastic valance from under the bumper so I can prep to mount the grill guard. Lookin' good.

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

Last couple days I got a new used grille in a little better shape than my own. Used chunks of the old grille melted in acetone to fix some cracks and hit it with bed liner. Also dropped the front bumper (which involved one bolt that wouldn't budge so hit it with WD-40 then liquid wrench and finally the welds on the nut inside the frame broke off. Tried to get it to come loose anyway, still wouldn't budge, so I had to cut it off with the sawzall.) And hit it with bed liner as well. Put them back on and installed my new lights. Chuck's gettin'all gussied up...IMG_20201119_161201682_HDR.jpg

mface7

Rank V

Influencer II

Syracuse, Utah, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Facer
Member #

not much progress of late...kitchen remodel is the priority (I like not being strangled by my wife in my sleep). but now have light bar and fog lights that need install, second battery (need a few components to get this set up properly) and expecting to have a roof basket to go on top shortly. I'll put pics up as I move forward