Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

So I have a 2017 Crew Cab Silverado. I've looked at steel or aluminum bumpers for awhile but figured it would be a purchase far down the road...until this weekend when someone decided to hit my truck while I was parked and put a pretty good dent and scrapes in my bumper, and of course not leave a note.

So now instead of paying to get it fixed...and then eventually buying a bumper, I'm moving up the timeline for a bumper.

I've looked at Westin Automotive, and ICI. Are there any others I should look into as well. I'm really hoping to spend less than $1,000 on a front bumper preferably. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Sad
Reactions: RoarinRow

Crowley34

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Selma, NC, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Crowley
Member #

So I have a 2017 Crew Cab Silverado. I've looked at steel or aluminum bumpers for awhile but figured it would be a purchase far down the road...until this weekend when someone decided to hit my truck while I was parked and put a pretty good dent and scrapes in my bumper, and of course not leave a note.

So now instead of paying to get it fixed...and then eventually buying a bumper, I'm moving up the timeline for a bumper.

I've looked at Westin Automotive, and ICI. Are there any others I should look into as well. I'm really hoping to spend less than $1,000 on a front bumper preferably. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I have a 2017 also and have been looking into bumpers. Do you want a winch mount? If that’s not important to you then there are a good amount for under 1k but if you want the winch mount(I do) they seem to be more like $1200.00

Reactions: JButtress

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I'm enjoying my DV8 Off-Road bumpers. They are worth looking at. Chevy Bumpers

I was rear ended a few days after install and the only damage was a bent mounting bracket and paint rub on the powder coating.

The other car
I really like those bumpers...seems though for the Silverado, there's only one option at about $1200 for the front bumper...still may do it. We'll see

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I really like those bumpers...seems though for the Silverado, there's only one option at about $1200 for the front bumper...still may do it. We'll see
It might be worth calling and asking for Cole and see if they have back stock on that bumper. He might discount it a little for you. Tell him Justin with the white Canyon sent you.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
DV8 makes good stuff. A front bumper that has a winch mount may be a good idea, even if you don't plan on a winch right now. If you solo a winch is a excellent insurance policy.

Hartski

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Iowa
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Been looking for good bumpers for a while now. not much in that price point

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Solo wheeling without a winch is dangerous IMO. :)
No winch..................

straps
chains
shackles
2-4 ton come along
Hi-Lift jack with some accessories
4-6 ton bottle jack-wood base plate, small 2x4 pieces
Recovery boards.

This assumes your alone, and no help is forseen in the near future. Slow and steady will be your companion, but will work in almost all scenarios. As mentioned above, a winch opens a lot more recovery option's with the above list.

Reactions: RickLB and JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

straps
chains
shackles
2-4 ton come along
Recovery boards.

This assumes your alone, and no help is forseen in the near future. Slow and steady will be your companion, but will work in almost all scenarios. As mentioned above, a winch opens a lot more recovery option's with the above list.
100% agree! :)

A winch by itself is useless if you need to be pulled from the rear or there are no trees or large boulders to act as an anchor. The list above is essential for solo wheeling even if you have a winch IMO.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Ive got a 2018 and ive been looking at bumpers also but everything with a winch is just so pricey
agreed...i've decided to go without a winch. I dont ever plan to get in over my head on any trails so I feel I won't need it. Now i know there are always people who say "well you never know" and thats true...but for me...the price is just too high for what I want to spend.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

agreed...i've decided to go without a winch. I dont ever plan to get in over my head on any trails so I feel I won't need it. Now i know there are always people who say "well you never know" and thats true...but for me...the price is just too high for what I want to spend.
well earlier this year in feb we were out on a easy trail but then rain and mud didn't help and that day a winch would have made a difference of a truck going home or not. So im looking for one with a winch simply because ide rather have it and not need it instead of need it and not having it.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
100% agree! :)

A winch by itself is useless if you need to be pulled from the rear or there are no trees or large boulders to act as an anchor. The list above is essential for solo wheeling even if you have a winch IMO.
Something I forgot to mention and put on the list I did above, and should have included. POST # 10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original list:

straps
chains
shackles
2-4 ton come along
Recovery boards.*********

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
********** And that is,..... you need anchor points on your vehicle, front and back. If you don't have them, think about adding them. The easiest to add is a STINGER for your rear hitch, assuming you have one. Basically a 2" hitch receiver insert with a D-Ring attachment. This gives you a stout extraction point, and minimizes under-body potential damage, or cut straps from sharp edges on your recovery strap. If your front does not have recovery hooks already, see about adding at least one, 2 are better. With the FULL-CHANNEL chassis frames on GM trucks, mounting options are limited, outside of the OEM ones..

********** If you have been following other threads, one of the themes have been Recovery boards and their use/price. Amazon and E-Bay have some great prices right now on Chinese brands, for under $80, but prices fluctuate weekly. Discussion is either under recovery or the X-Bull threads. This should be a considered thought, as a winch is not in your immediate future. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Last edited:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Bumpers for fullsize trucks is kind of tricky. We're looking at stuff for our Sierra and well, not many options out there.. There are more for the newer body styles at least. We'll most likely have to fab something...

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Bumpers for full size trucks is kind of tricky. We're looking at stuff for our Sierra and well, not many options out there..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your looking for a winch bumper with a full grill guard, the ARB is probably your best bet (2003-2006.5). Around $1500, a Buckstop is around $ 1900( +) with a list of options , a Road Armour is upward of $2800 . My avatar has the ARB for my 2003 Chevy HD. The GMC model of it, ran about $100 extra for our classic series of trucks. Check Amazon to see if it is still offered. If a full light/grill guard is not wanted or desired, the Smittybilt is available for a far cheaper price, with just a small lower radiator protection bar or not.

Another option is Ranch Hand, but their products are more farm/ranch orientated, and are not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but are very HD, and are designed for a rough life. It's offered in various models.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army

straps
chains
shackles
2-4 ton come along
Recovery boards.

Nice recovery gear. I was told by an off road instructor that if an winch isn't in budget the above is what he recommended. He said you can do more with the hi lift than the winch because of it being mounted somewhat permanent on the vehicle!

Reactions: Desert Runner