Cheaper substitute for Maxtraxx?

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I think the Maxtraxx are AWESOME! But, i'd prefer not to spend that much cash on a chunk of plastic. Any proven, quality options out there that are more cost effective?

Philbobagginz

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Brick, NJ
Member #

Treds are probably your best alternative. Some might say they are better than maxtrax. Smittybuilt also makes a traction pad.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I did a ton of research earlier this year. Based on what I found, avoid the Smittybilt entirely, they have a horrible reputation of essentially being one-time-use before they crack or break.

Tred does a bit better, there are mixed reports of cracking and breaking, but some people claim that was only in the early lot numbers. Supposedly Tred is working on an updated ramp that would be significantly less than Maxtrax, but they are a ways out.

I know that some people are using surplus aluminum Marston mats ( or the cheaper and more common Pierced Steel Planking).

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

There are Maxsa Innovations on Amazon. Look very similar to Maxtrax
So much so, that I bought two... thinking they were Maxtrax. I mean come on, Maxsa - Maxtrax copyright much? No occasion to use them yet, but I'd sell them cheap to replace with Maxtrax lol

Reactions: Lipek

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Fiberglass grating

As an alternative to maxtraxx. it works well!!!, not MAXTRAXX OMG thats amazing ...well....but it holds up, and holds up to the bronco being the pig that it is. 5,950 lbs (empty).. and when it is stuck..its bad... so all joking aside, they offer great traction even with my HMMWV 37" baja mt tires being the hard compound they are. They are a cool lookin green color too.

The drive on ramps i built are the red stuff, never had a traction issue there.... and before i reinforced them with an angle iron frame i loaded a powerstroke with them... but the green stuff has non skid style surface molded its, its pretty great! Thats what my 2'x4' (scraptraxx LOL) are made of.

Having said too much (as usual) i will leave you with this..... this stuff is pricey. So i recommend trying to score some from a construction project near you. i paid 100$ and they let me have what i needed. i am working on getting a whole sheet to use as a bottom to my roof rack rather than just bars :-/

it runs it 4x8? 4x10? sheets when new. fiberglass-grating.jpg

fiberglass-grating-4.jpg

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

TREDs are terrible, every time I used them they broke, cracked or melted. Their warranty and customer service is excellent.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

them fiberglass ones crack up bad and if you ever had fiberglass slivers you know that you dont want them...
why not a 2"x 12"x 3 or 4 foot with some bolts through or some kind of metal grating ?

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

them fiberglass ones crack up bad and if you ever had fiberglass slivers you know that you dont want them...
why not a 2"x 12"x 3 or 4 foot with some bolts through or some kind of metal grating ?
My ramps are 12 years old and in great shape, tractors, trucks, worse...

The ones i use for traction are good too, im sure there are different grades of it though.

I like mine, and for the price ill put on gloves if they ever do that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

The ones I used were originally used as replacements for steel walk ways in the early 80's they did not take long to splinter granted not their original use...
I was thinking along the lines of these wood planks with bolts through them...
DSCN4242.jpg

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

RUMOR has that the new wood alternative board used for decking (plastic wood) makes a decent low budget one.

I thought it was cool

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Seconded. When I was a kid I had to have hand surgery to remove some fiberglass that got in there and burrowed into my muscle.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

These have shown no amount of wear to date, but i will kep you guys updated on it.

Its an industrial contruction material designed to be an alternative for metal grating, i wear gloves for recovery work anyways.

Looking forward to getting maxtraxx one day regardless

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Was looking at other brands, and at half the price of maxtraxx they sounded tempting.
Then read reviews on others and bought a couple maxtraxx.
Will buy two more eventually.

Quite impressed to see them used on Expedition Overland series, where they recovered vehicles easily where winch recoveries would have been necessary without them.
The bridging capabilities are a plus too.

Reactions: Lipek