Launch Member

Enthusiast I

PA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

Hey it’s a great way to get ur RTT out there for base camp etc. this is my modular build. we overland off grid and high clearance. Used my old utility trailer as a base.

Attachments

Reactions: El-Dracho

pa10spro

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

PA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

I picked up a good condition used 4x6 utility trailer for $100 and turned it into a camping trailer to put my RTT on. Started with cutting off factory fenders, flipping the axle, and building the rack.
Hey. I am doing a similar build. Did u swap to a different axle? I am looking at timberlen axle less set up. Any advise after your project?
Yes. Put on a timberlen set up. ALS an articulating hitch. Did great on the Tat and high clearance trails.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Nice trailers fellas!! Just finished up a build like this myself. Only have 2 trips 3 nights on it. Extends up about 28" from the travelling position. Only 13" tires on mine, might do bigger tires to match the Taco some day.
KIMG0026.JPG
KIMG0030.JPG

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Wow, you guys have given me some great ideas on how to do my own utility trailer build. I currently have a pretty nice 5' x 8' utility trailer I use for various chores and hauling my ATVs. I'm going to look at using Superstruts to build a frame I can mount my RTT on and still have the ability to use the trailer for hauling chores if need be. Question, what are you guys doing to get more clearance with your current axle? My trailer has 15" wheels and I've seen you guys talk about "flipping the axle", what exactly does that involve?

Reactions: El-Dracho

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Wow, you guys have given me some great ideas on how to do my own utility trailer build. I currently have a pretty nice 5' x 8' utility trailer I use for various chores and hauling my ATVs. I'm going to look at using Superstruts to build a frame I can mount my RTT on and still have the ability to use the trailer for hauling chores if need be. Question, what are you guys doing to get more clearance with your current axle? My trailer has 15" wheels and I've seen you guys talk about "flipping the axle", what exactly does that involve?
It isn't a recommended technique for those who carry higher loads since the axles are meant to be loaded in only one direction. If you look down the line of the axle, it has a bend to it to account for load (you can reweld the porches to maintain orientation).

That being said, I did it and others do it since it can gain you ~3-4-inches of clearance easily and for free. The axle sits on top of the leaf springs normally. By unbolting the leafs and unbolting the 'U'- bolts holding the axle against the leaf spring, you just move the axle underneath the leaf springs and remount the 'U' bolts upside down. Very simple YouTube-able DIY process.

I'm never going to max out the 2000-lb capacity of the axle. Instead, I may use 25% of the capacity at ~500-lbs. So, I'm not worried about compromising the design. Plus, the added camber should help the trailer with stability.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
But make sure you keep the bend of the axle pointed up. If you want to do it right you will need to buy new spring mounts and weld them on the other side of the axle. You can't simply just flip the axle.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I'm pretty sure my trailer has a 3500 lb axle, it was a custom trailer done at a local trailer dealer with 15" wheels. I'll take a look at it and see what you guys are referring too, might not need to do anything as the trailer has pretty good clearance already. Might just upgrade the tires to a larger size and be done with it.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

You can literally flip a flat axle but most trailers have tensioned axles. To do it right, weld on new mounts to maintain original load bearing angles. It’ll also chew up tires on pavement if you don’t.

Here’s some before, after and process pics to illustrate.

Attachments

Reactions: OcoeeG