Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Its time to resurrect the Cheap Jeep Trailer. This has been a project for some time now and honestly, was a project that fell off my radar for a while. But now I think its time to bring it back. So, this time I build a spare tire carrier for the trailer project out of an old bent axle shaft. The idea was to use parts I had laying around to create a simple and affordable spare tire carrier. Keeping the budget low and creating a useful spot to store a spare tire. Using an old axle as the flange to mount the tire seemed logical because I do not have to create a hub surface for the tire to mount to, and the axle shaft itself is more than strong enough to carry the weight of a single tire. I also thought this was unique because the axle shaft that was used for the project came out of my jeep. Finally, the trailer itself is pretty light and the tongue did not have enough weight on it for my liking. So adding the spare tire to the nose of the trailer added some much-needed weight to aid in it towing well down the road. What do you think about the mounting location of the spare tire? What about the materials used? Is it even worth carrying a spare tire for a trailer? What would you have done differently?

Last edited:
Reactions: RickR

TIER 7

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
J
Last Name
T
Its time to resurrect the Cheap Jeep Trailer. This has been a project for some time now and honestly, was a project that fell off my radar for a while. But now I think its time to bring it back. So, this time I build a spare tire carrier for the trailer project out of an old bent axle shaft. The idea was to use parts I had laying around to create a simple and affordable spare tire carrier. Keeping the budget low and creating a useful spot to store a spare tire. Using an old axle as the flange to mount the tire seemed logical because I do not have to create a hub surface for the tire to mount to, and the axle shaft itself is more than strong enough to carry the weight of a single tire. I also thought this was unique because the axle shaft that was used for the project came out of my jeep. Finally, the trailer itself is pretty light and the tongue did not have enough weight on it for my liking. So adding the spare tire to the nose of the trailer added some much-needed weight to aid in it towing well down the road. What do you think about the mounting location of the spare tire? What about the materials used? Is it even worth carrying a spare tire for a trailer? What would you have done differently?

Nice work Mark, looks great.

The DIY stuff (if you know what you’re doing and you clearly do) is not only usually cheaper, it’s quite satisfying to do and better quality.

I enjoy building/fabbing my overland rig and trailer as much as I enjoy using them for that reason.

Great video, thanks for sharing!

James

Reactions: Embark With Mark