grantwilson

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. augustine, Fl
Member #

Dewalt 20v sawzall count?

Three batteries on board!

Disclaimer: I also have a large-toothed hand saw (think bow saw) and a smaller handsaw for brush as well.

Between all that, and as OP suggested, a winch and a lift, I think I could move a dead tree. Take me awhile, but if it's in my trail I got nothin' but time, baby!
You say that, until its 6pm and you clear one tree, then find 3 more behind it. I was so glad i had a gas saw that day

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
Well I was given a Craftsman 2.5 CI gas chain saw with an 18" bar and two new in the bag chains. Supposedly used twice, I helped a buddy move.....

Reactions: IronPercheron

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I've a Stihl MS 250 and love the thing. I harvest my own frewood and the thing just keeps going on and on...... What I need though is a good case for it so I can carry it up on my rack... still looking..
I have a friend i served with in the Army that has had his forever. Drug it from WA to NC and back lol toughest damn stihl i have ever seen was that MS250

Evan

Rank 0

Traveler I

For fuel, when I bought my Stihl 184 (I believe that's the model) the guy upsold me on the premixed two cycle tin. When you buy your Stihl new if you get a tin of this pre mixed fuel, It automatically doubles your warranty. Also it is mixed with 92 octane ethanol free gas, so the storage life in the saws tank is much longer. It's all I've run in my chainsaw so far and it's been great. I also don't have to mix it out in the field and carry multiple containers.

Reactions: LandPirate

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

For fuel, when I bought my Stihl 184 (I believe that's the model) the guy upsold me on the premixed two cycle tin. When you buy your Stihl new if you get a tin of this pre mixed fuel, It automatically doubles your warranty. Also it is mixed with 92 octane ethanol free gas, so the storage life in the saws tank is much longer. It's all I've run in my chainsaw so far and it's been great. I also don't have to mix it out in the field and carry multiple containers.
I don't feel that having one of those little things of oil for mixing in gas is a bit issue for me...
For me it's the chain oil... that's messy as hell.
I have the gerry can that has 2 sides to it... one for gas and one for the chain oil.

Does anyone else have something different for the chain oil?

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

I don't feel that having one of those little things of oil for mixing in gas is a bit issue for me...
I have the gerry can that has 2 sides to it... one for gas and one for the chain oil.

I just keep my oil in the original jug. Probably a bit of overkill to drag around that much.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I just keep my oil in the original jug. Probably a bit of overkill to drag around that much.
Hell, I just wish I could wash chain oil off things, lol. I ruined a good pair of cargo pants this past year.... didn't realize the oil cap wasn't secure on the saw... luckily I stopped after a few cuts and looked at the saw and saw the cap swinging and the oil all over my pants... lol.
The wife cut my 5.11's and I now have a pair of excellent cargo shorts, lol.

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

i use an old WWII canteen. it seals off good, it was cheap, and a hot muffler wont melt it when im slinging things around in the back of the truck

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I have a little Husqvarna 435 that tucks away nicely in back. Haven't had to use it much but very useful when needed.

Hell, I just wish I could wash chain oil off things, lol.
A couple years ago I opened a plastic bottle of chain oil while being lazy. I had it tucked between my knees while sitting down and looking over it… had to squeeze for grip and it basically exploded all over my head and chest. Thankfully no one was around to laugh. All clothes ruined.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

As a qualified Tree Surgeon here in the UK I have 4 chainsaws altogether. I make my own chain from a 50 foot roll of chain. I am able to make them at different lengths for the different size bars I have on my saws. as for climbing trees here in the UK we are required to have passed the relevant climbing qualifications with the proper equipment. I read earlier about using a Fall Arrest System as used by scaffolds. I believe this is ridiculous as if you have decided to use this system as a decent height then have a fall it would be near impossible for anyone to rescue you. My training has also included Aerial Rescue allowing me to rescue anyone who has gotten themselves into a position where they are unable to make their way out of the tree.

I have watched many You tube vids of idiots around the world doing what they think is the best way to remove tree limbs or take down the whole tree with disastrous results. I think there is a common level of intelligence amongst them all.

When climbing a tree I always carry a hand held pruning saw, which is used probably more than the chainsaw, unless of course there are big limbs to remove.
here is pic of the type I use.
silky-zubat-270-75-saw.jpg

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I generally carry a fuel can similar to that in the picture below. the large canister has the mixed fuel and the small cannister holds the chain oilh410-0640.png

Last edited:

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I have a craftsman electric, I power it with a 2000W pure sinewave inverter, has good power, don't have to deal with the noise, smoke, and gas storage

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: IronPercheron

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

So, this is a good thread, since I am thinking of getting a Stihl real soon. So, I would like to know what size saw does everyone think would be the perfect size for the overlander?

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

So, this is a good thread, since I am thinking of getting a Stihl real soon. So, I would like to know what size saw does everyone think would be the perfect size for the overlander?
I have the MS170. It's the smallest Stihl that I've used and I'm not overly impressed with it's power. I was having a bit of an issue with it bogging down the first year too... until I realized it REALLY liked a clean air filter. Once I changed that out on a more regular basis and always had a spare or two it worked better. It is still the smallest saw I've ever used and I just have to be patient using it I guess.
No problems with it.... because it's a Stihl of course ;)