Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
I have not been in that neck of the woods, I would like to sometime.

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
Indeed! Hopefully getting my brakes in the mail on Friday, than swap out the snows (yeah, still running studless) and i'll be as good to go as i can be for now!
I have Thurs and Fridays off maybe we can just get together and BS

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

I am technically Central Oregon but live pretty far out of town. I am at the Young Life camp near Antelope where I live and work.
Most of my shopping, appointments, recreating is done in Redmond and Bend, so I consider myself a local!

Reactions: Sam Wedzinga

Sam Wedzinga

Rank III

Advocate II

We are from bc Canada and love the central Oregon area . We just got home from a few day in sisters, is there any good winter camping spots around there?? We are supposed to pick up our rtt in October or November in bend. We would like to to try it out

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

We are from bc Canada and love the central Oregon area . We just got home from a few day in sisters, is there any good winter camping spots around there?? We are supposed to pick up our rtt in October or November in bend. We would like to to try it out
When I lived in Bend, I used to winter camp and snowshoe on the Metolius River, around Camp Sherman (just west of Sisters). Beautiful area, pretty easy to get to... There's great camping on the Cascade Lakes, past Bachelor, but they usually close the road at some point. Also try Paulina, not sure about winter access there. Further east, there's lots of stuff as well, plus fewer people.

Reactions: Sam Wedzinga

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

I think if you head almost any direction you could find good spots to test it out in the winter. West toward Sisters/ the mountains and you will be in snow pretty quickly, and I think they really only clear highways (not even all of those) and snow parks for Nordic Skiers and Snowmobiling. Head east out of Bend however and it stays dry pretty much year round. There is cool country out there but it is more desert-like. I have not explored it as much as I wish, but have heard good things about driving around the Forest Roads towards Pine Mountain Observatory. At the high elevation it may be snowed over, but it is very open and scenic country around the area.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I think if you head almost any direction you could find good spots to test it out in the winter. West toward Sisters/ the mountains and you will be in snow pretty quickly, and I think they really only clear highways (not even all of those) and snow parks for Nordic Skiers and Snowmobiling. Head east out of Bend however and it stays dry pretty much year round. There is cool country out there but it is more desert-like. I have not explored it as much as I wish, but have heard good things about driving around the Forest Roads towards Pine Mountain Observatory. At the high elevation it may be snowed over, but it is very open and scenic country around the area.
The roads west of Sisters can be pretty snowy, but in my younger (read: more foolish) days, I'd actually head out there in an 85 Honda Accord hatchback. Somehow, I never got stuck!

Reactions: raundhaus

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

I am putting together a ghost town trip through Eastern Oregon for Memorial Day 17. 6 days and 10 ghost towns. Starting in Shaniko and going East ending in Cornicopia.

Maybe we could meet along the way??
We are starting out in Alameda California, so local friends would be awesome resource for us.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I am at the Young Life camp near Antelope where I live and work.
I might contact you on our way through the area. (see this post for our possible route #1) Our daughter is a budding Young Life leader with the hope of working for them full-time after graduation. She was on the staff at the Pennsylvania YL camp during the July session, and will be taking some kids to the one up in British Columbia in the spring. I'm sure she'd like to take a small detour to see your camp.

Sam Wedzinga

Rank III

Advocate II

I am putting together a ghost town trip through Eastern Oregon for Memorial Day 17. 6 days and 10 ghost towns. Starting in Shaniko and going East ending in Cornicopia.

Maybe we could meet along the way??
We are starting out in Alameda California, so local friends would be awesome resource for us.
This sounds great but unfortunately we will not have that much time we have 5 day and about 2.5 will be just driving to bend and back home . But if you could map it up the wife and I would love to do a trip like that

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

Any Bend/ Central Oregon dwellers have experience on the NF roads west of Bend? I just drove the NF-370/380 from Todd Lake to Broken Top Trailhead (only about 5.5mi) and had a blast. They don't maintain it so it is rather rutted and rocky, but I made it no problem without 4wd. Even a couple Subarus made it to the trailhead! I would have been scared of destroying my bumper covers or exhaust if I were in a Subaru, but more power to them.
Anyway, it looks like 370 can get you from Todd Lake all the way back to town in NW Bend. Anyone ran this? Im wondering when it gets snowed in (can't be too far off now) and if there are any suggested routes. If I dont hear anything, I will run it eventually and figure out how to upload my tracks (Im a nav. newb.).