Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
OK, so I have gone through a cell phone holder every six months for the last two years. Corrie brought home what appears to be a great heavy duty solution and after three days, I'm sold, BUT I have to admit it doesn't have the test of time YET! Still, this is the most stout non-permanent mount I have seen, and it even comes with a rubber strap to lock your phone in when you are running on rough terrain. If it fails, I will update this post, but so far so good!

I think @mmnorthdirections might have this one?

61oOJwxLy6L._SL1061_.jpg 58685XL__86905.1447451530.500.659.jpg

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Been considering one of these for an iPad. A lot more expensive but if the cheaper one drops the iPad just once... Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Rattlesnake44

Rattlesnake44

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hawthorne, CA
Member #

I've been using that one for a couple years. Never had it fail yet. I haven't ever needed the rubber strap part, the pinchy crossbar thingies (sorry for the technical speak) do a pretty good job on their own holding the phone in, and I've spent some time on washboard roads in Baja with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Corrie and Narbob

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

My wife and I have both had ProClip holders in our vehicles for the past 7 or 8 years without fail.
The drawback is that they are vehicle specific and some vehicles have great mounting options - others don't.
Case and point: We both own Toyota and the mounts are solid. In fact, mine is dialed in so well that I didn't need to use the inluded double-sided tape to hold it in place.
My mother-in-law owns a Honda Accord and the mount for her vehicle is horrible.

Anyway - it's an option - and my phone never moves from it's home in the cradle on the trail.
http://www.proclipusa.com/

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael I do use the RAM mount x-grip attached to a
http://www.panavise.com/index.html?pageid=1&id1=30&--wosectionsdatarq=30&indashaction=--
Custom bracket (hard mount) made vehicle specific (no suction cup). The combo works amazing with zero issues on or off road.
They make many custom hard mount brackets that you add the adapter ball/plate to use with the RAM mount.
Ya the "no suction cup is going to improve the durability and stick-to-it-ness by like 600%.

Thanks

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ya the "no suction cup is going to improve the durability and stick-to-it-ness by like 600%.

Thanks
I have a mount from Iottie for my truck, which uses a semi sticky suction cup. I've bounced it all around and it never let go of my phone or lost its suction. and they're not really expensive. On my motorcycles I use something closer to the ram mount, where the drop is far more costly.

Reactions: Michael

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Very nice. I love ram mount stuff. I use a mob armor mount for my phone and I love it...

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Suction cups are fine for phones. I would never trust them for an iPad. Even the double suction ones fail and down goes your iPad. My iPad is on a RAM mount that is bolted into my dash. Yes, I had to make some holes. I have one smaller X-grip for my phone that is a suction mount. It holds great. For weeks at a time but unless every once and a while you proactively check it, it will fall. Just my personal experience after having one for years.

Reactions: Tim

BuBBaBO

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Dunrobin, Ontario Canada
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Stillman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3MIK
I've used this mount for about a year now with no complaints. Even in the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter, it stays attached to the windshield. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I've been using the Ram mounts for iPhone, GPS, and iPad for awhile and never needed the rubber strap. They grip is incredible.

OK, so I have gone through a cell phone holder every six months for the last two years. Corrie brought home what appears to be a great heavy duty solution and after three days, I'm sold, BUT I have to admit it doesn't have the test of time YET! Still, this is the most stout non-permanent mount I have seen, and it even comes with a rubber strap to lock your phone in when you are running on rough terrain. If it fails, I will update this post, but so far so good!

I think @mmnorthdirections might have this one?

View attachment 12138 View attachment 12139

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I found a company through my visit to GenRight Offroad while I was on business in California. A local CA company called Mob Armor. They are new to me at least. I bought the Mobmagnet one and it has held my cell phone even on some really bad rock hits. You attach a very thin piece of mental to the back of your Phone case and it makes it easy to pick it up if you need to. The other ones you need to have two hands to take the phone off the holder.
http://mobarmor.com/products/smart-phone/

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS