Enthusiast II

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Kelyn
Last Name
Lampkin
Member #

Hey OB,

so I'm in the process of building my 2012 4Runner, and I'm looking at either doing a CBI or Shrockworks full bumper. With full grille protection and powder coating, they're both the about the same price, so I wanted to see if anyone in here had experience with one or the other and possible pictures. Shockworks has a ton of images, but I cant find any pictures of CBI bumpers that aren't the 2014 + models. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Hey OB,

so I'm in the process of building my 2012 4Runner, and I'm looking at either doing a CBI or Shrockworks full bumper. With full grille protection and powder coating, they're both the about the same price, so I wanted to see if anyone in here had experience with one or the other and possible pictures. Shockworks has a ton of images, but I cant find any pictures of CBI bumpers that aren't the 2014 + models. Thanks in advance!
I’ve got Shrockworks on the front and CBI on the back. Check out the pics on my build page. The CBI just went on the rear a little over a week ago. On its maiden voyage right now. Currently up in S. Lake Tahoe. Went up to Cerro Gordo mine/ghost town, then Alabama Hills, and then Silver Canyon from Bristlecone Pines to Bishop. No problems at all. The shrockworks up front always gets a lot of complements. No headlight protection, but great lines! 8CE0636C-BED4-4D00-B908-424ED0B09419.jpeg

whiskeyandwayfarers

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Kelyn
Last Name
Lampkin
Member #

Sweet build dude. I really like that front bumper. like you said, clean lines for sure. and I like the lightbar on top of it, not in the middle like most bumpers. any reason you didn't go for the full hoops for your headlights?

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Sweet build dude. I really like that front bumper. like you said, clean lines for sure. and I like the lightbar on top of it, not in the middle like most bumpers. any reason you didn't go for the full hoops for your headlights?
Thanks!
Style. It just looks better than the full hoops.

Haust

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
D
Last Name
W
Member #

I had heard that the Shrockworks lead time was incredibly long, with some people holding out for almost 12 months. Is that no longer the case?

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
Hard to say I've had mine for many years. Seems like everyone lead time is long, but 12 months seems a little crazy. Did you try sending them an e-mail and asking?

TroutRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Durango, Colorado
First Name
David
Last Name
@
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KY0TEQ
I am in the same quandary with my 2012 4Runner build. I definitely want full loop protection. The lead times are pretty long for the Shrockworks. I am also considering the ARB bumper but it’s way heavier and sticks out further then the others. The pictures I have seen for the 2010-2013 CBI front bumper are pretty nice. You are right in that there are not very many pictures of the CBI bumper out there. There used to be a video on their website of it but now it’s gone. I bet it is still floating around somewhere on the internet.
Side note - since I could not decide on a front bumper I just ordered a new rear bumper from Victory 4x4 called the Strike. It’s modular by design in that you can add swing outs and attachments to the swing outs as your build progresses or wallet progresses

MTN RNR

Rank VI

World Traveler III

San Diego 92130
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6TED
I am in the same quandary with my 2012 4Runner build. I definitely want full loop protection. The lead times are pretty long for the Shrockworks. I am also considering the ARB bumper but it’s way heavier and sticks out further then the others. The pictures I have seen for the 2010-2013 CBI front bumper are pretty nice. You are right in that there are not very many pictures of the CBI bumper out there. There used to be a video on their website of it but now it’s gone. I bet it is still floating around somewhere on the internet.
Side note - since I could not decide on a front bumper I just ordered a new rear bumper from Victory 4x4 called the Strike. It’s modular by design in that you can add swing outs and attachments to the swing outs as your build progresses or wallet progresses
Sounds like a nice way to do the rear bumper. I like modular. CBI has a lead time of about 5 months. Gobi racks - 6 months. Shrockworks - lengthy. It seems to be the norm in this current overlanding market. I'm heading out the door right now to do the Mojave Road this weekend. When I get back I'll tell you about my CBI rear bumper story....

TroutRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Durango, Colorado
First Name
David
Last Name
@
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KY0TEQ
Sounds like a nice way to do the rear bumper. I like modular. CBI has a lead time of about 5 months. Gobi racks - 6 months. Shrockworks - lengthy. It seems to be the norm in this current overlanding market. I'm heading out the door right now to do the Mojave Road this weekend. When I get back I'll tell you about my CBI rear bumper story....
Sounds good. I can’t wait to hear your story.

Tex.Proud

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, TX, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gills
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4TXN
Service Branch
Army Veteran
I had heard that the Shrockworks lead time was incredibly long, with some people holding out for almost 12 months. Is that no longer the case?
I picked up some sliders from Shrockworks about a month ago. Took them 6 weeks to make. Not sure what lead time is on anything else, but that was rather quick.