Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Does anyone in the Vacaville area know of a place to get a CB radio antenna tuned? I'm not in need asap but most likely by the middle of June (will be on vacation until than)

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

I have an SWR meter you're welcome to come down to San Martin for a training session...

That said, www.rightchannelradios.com is my go to place for radio gear, and they have a small SWR meter and extension coax for $20. It's really easy to do.

Edit: looks like the price went up
If I'm ever down that way I will take you up on your offer if I don't get it tuned before than. How often do you have to tune antennas? Or is it something like get it set and it's all good? I'm going to do some research about it all thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Generally set and forget. Depends on the tuning method. Some whips get trimmed, Firestik has a set screw, etc

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I got a swr meter too. Lol I already passed you once. If need it hollar

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Cool thanks! If I need help I'll let you know I just gave In and bought a swr meter should be here next week. You just use channel 1 and 40 right @stoney126

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I followed rightchannelradios guide. If your antenna is like mine, put the cap back on when checking out the meter. I couldn't get mine to go below 3. Then I put the cap on and Waalaa

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Yep I saw their guide and YouTube video and imma just do the same thing. Yea I got the forestik 4ft antenna with tunable tip. Would you suggest putting it about 5 inches above the roof or like 1 foot above it

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Ok so I got the CB radio all hooked up, I tuned it. Channel 1 is about 1.3 and channel 40 is about 1.1 than I went driving down the highway (interstate 80 eastbound) and all I could here is static on channel 17 any pointers? (I turned the squelch until all the static went away and every so often static would come on and go away) thanks guys

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Ok so I got the CB radio all hooked up, I tuned it. Channel 1 is about 1.3 and channel 40 is about 1.1 than I went driving down the highway (interstate 80 eastbound) and all I could here is static on channel 17 any pointers? (I turned the squelch until all the static went away and every so often static would come on and go away) thanks guys
This is normal. All it means is that the background interference broke over the squelch level you set. You could set it higher but risk not receiving signals you want if they are weaker.

Reactions: stoney126

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

Ok. So let me ask you if someone is close by say within a mile I can set the squelch level higher since they are closer to me?