CB Radio (merged thread)

• HTML tutorial

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Glad my kids didn't happen to be around!
I keep my radio on scan in the truck and the vol turned low - I've never heard a Ham Operator on an amateur channel be anything but perfectly behaved - but truckers and the other road channels can get pretty bad.. I don't need the kids in the backseat hearing a full and enthusiastic description of the lady working the desk at the scales..

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have never heard anything like that. I have heard a few abuses from non-licensed folks. I would be curious as to what frequency you were listening to.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I have never heard anything like that. I have heard a few abuses from non-licensed folks. I would be curious as to what frequency you were listening to.
I don't have my radio with me, I'd have to check to see what frequency I was on but all the parties involved were giving call signs, whether they were legitimate or not I'm not sure.

Overland 505

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

Not exactly on topic, but I fired up my 2M Baofeng handheld that I purchased on sale at Amazon awhile back just to see what I could hear, and to further inspire me to study for the test. I've heard very little at our home near Los Angeles, so I thought I would have better luck at our cabin in the mountains above LA. Sure enough, picked up some conversations immediately and man was I disappointed! It was just as bad as some of the conversations on CB radio, F-bombs being dropped left and right, arguing over use of some repeater, goofy mic sound effects, etc. I guess I had it in my head that because it's regulated and licensed that the decorum would be better. Granted this is my first experience listening in on Ham, and I know there are bad apples everywhere, but seriously?? Glad my kids didn't happen to be around!
That's sad. And illegal too. I don't use the repeaters often. I just use it on a set frequency with friends. Sorry for the bad first impression. It's not like that everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
That's sad. And illegal too. I don't use the repeaters often. I just use it on a set frequency with friends. Sorry for the bad first impression. It's not like that everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, no worries, just found it surprising, and agreed, it's a sad sign of the times. My main interest would be for trail comms and backup for the Delorme Inreach SE in the case of an emergency. The likely hood of me sitting around chatting with random folks is pretty slim so doubt I would be on the repeaters much as well.

Reactions: Overland 505

adam1752

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Corona, Riverside County, California, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Robert
Member #

Does OB have a CB channel that is used by all OB members?
if not i vote that we should, and here is why. I was driving North on the 101 in central CA and I saw a OB rig that I have seen on instagraim and that it would be a cool idea if there was a set channel say 4 so that way if we Id'ed it as an OB rig we could say hi or have a Q answered if we needed help.

What are y'alls thats and options?

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Does OB have a CB channel that is used by all OB members?
if not i vote that we should, and here is why. I was driving North on the 101 in central CA and I saw a OB rig that I have seen on instagraim and that it would be a cool idea if there was a set channel say 4 so that way if we Id'ed it as an OB rig we could say hi or have a Q answered if we needed help.

What are y'alls thats and options?
I've normally just pulled up alongside, waved, held up my mike and used hand gestures to confirm channel. Most folks ride around on channel 19, but usually easy enough to figure it out.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
You can be on 19, hail the person and then go to another channel to talk.

Chad
I've often used 19 like that. More of a directory that you can then use to move off to a quieter channel and have useful conversation. I usually sit or scan on 19 myself.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

On every unofficially official trail run I've been on we shoot for channel 16 (4x4, duh!) and will change it up from there dependent on chatter and whatnot.

That's also what I monitor, just for situations like you described. Granted, I keep my squelch and noise filters cranked, you'd have to be within 200' to hit me most often. But I listen!

It wasn't this rig was it??

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have a Uniden BearCat 505XL. 30 bucks and does as well as anything. Just doesn't have the extra bells and whistles. 5' firestick on the rear mounted so I have 2.5' above roof line.

Mvan49

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

I have a Uniden BearCat 505XL. 30 bucks and does as well as anything. Just doesn't have the extra bells and whistles. 5' firestick on the rear mounted so I have 2.5' above roof line.
Excellent thanks...I don't want to spend a pile of cash, just want practical and that it works.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Excellent thanks...I don't want to spend a pile of cash, just want practical and that it works.
My build thread has more details on the actual stuff and install. The firestick came with a run of coax and a flexible spring mount so the antenna doesn't shatter everytime it hits a low limb. Pretty much any cb radio unit will have the same range capability (they almost all produce 4 watts). The antenna, antenna placement and antenna tuning are where range is gained or lost.

Reactions: TerryD

Mvan49

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Edmonton, Alberta
Member #

My build thread has more details on the actual stuff and install. The firestick came with a run of coax and a flexible spring mount so the antenna doesn't shatter everytime it hits a low limb. Pretty much any cb radio unit will have the same range capability (they almost all produce 4 watts). The antenna, antenna placement and antenna tuning are where range is gained or lost.
Good to know. I will have to educate myself a bit. Never owned a CB before always used fsr radios.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Good to know. I will have to educate myself a bit. Never owned a CB before always used fsr radios.
Seems these days cb is losing interest in favor of Ham. But a lot of off road clubs still require cb so I went with that for now. I have a handheld 2m I can use when we are using that instead. lol.