Mod Team

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Boyce
Member #

Greetings all, my name is Blake Boyce. For a number of years I've "lived in the shadows" on this platform. While I was reading and learning like mad, I've yet to contribute so much as a character. That said, the information I learned from these forms provided a "how to" manual of sorts. I read it thoroughly, outfitted our rig (Jeep TJ), loaded up my wife and our two Basset Hounds and hit the road 2 1/2 years ago, overland as a way of life and never looked back.

We learned a great deal throughout the last 100,000 miles, trekking about the back country of this nation. I genuinely look forward to sharing the nuance details that made our adventure successful and memorable.

My question to the members, what are some of your challenges, reservations, fears, or concerns around adventure travel? We may be able to help!

With love,
Blake Boyce
CB Overland

jeep fam.jpg

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Greetings all, my name is Blake Boyce. For a number of years I've "lived in the shadows" on this platform. While I was reading and learning like mad, I've yet to contribute so much as a character. That said, the information I learned from these forms provided a "how to" manual of sorts. I read it thoroughly, outfitted our rig (Jeep TJ), loaded up my wife and our two Basset Hounds and hit the road 2 1/2 years ago, overland as a way of life and never looked back.

We learned a great deal throughout the last 100,000 miles, trekking about the back country of this nation. I genuinely look forward to sharing the nuance details that made our adventure successful and memorable.

My question to the members, what are some of your challenges, reservations, fears, or concerns around adventure travel? We may be able to help!

With love,
Blake Boyce
CB Overland

View attachment 242075
Great to see you guys on the forum.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

With love,
Blake Boyce
CB Overland

View attachment 242075
One of my biggest reservations or concerns is heading to an area I've never been with limited data solo. Generally I'm able to find trail guides, old maps, and these days Youtube videos that give me a lot of insights into the areas I'm heading so that takes a lot of the trepidation out of it. But when resources like that are unavailable it's definitely a different story, especially with a 10k+ lbs rig solo. I see you're out of Vegas, and it sounds like you have a YT channel (BTW, I appreciate you didn't just post your YT channel or a vid with no context like so many others do) so I'll to give that a look. I moved to Vegas about a year ago from Northern CA, though I still spend a lot of time in the Bay Area for work. Right now my primary Overland rig is at my home in Vegas "for the winter" and I'm looking for some good trips. Depending on some upcoming work changes I may bring the rig back to the Bay for the late-Spring, Summer and early Fall - or if I have my way and can greatly reduce my work trips to CA I'll keep the rig in Vegas and will need to figure out destinations to camp out of the heat within a reasonable distance of Vegas. I'm sure you have some suggestions, and welcome any info you can provide!

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

@CB Overland any suggestions for a 2-3 night trip near Vegas this time of year? I'm looking at doing something the Mon-Wed or even Mon-Thurs before Thanksgiving (11/21-23 or 24). It needs to be something that can accommodate a pretty large, but very capable (37"s and locked front/rear) rig:

1668111178843.png

I was kind of thinking of heading over to Mesquite, then running a bit of Lime Kiln Canyon, perhaps even running it to the end and doing the first night there. Then coming back up and getting onto Bunkerville Ridge and stopping somewhere for the 2nd night. Then taking Bunkerville to the Gold Butte Backcountry Byway and running about half of it (stopping somewhere on the South end of the loop) and camping for the 3rd night. The last day (Thanksgiving Day) I'd finish the trail and head back to Vegas.

Is that a reasonable plan, especially this time of year and with my rig? No rain forecasted right now but obv Vegas and the surrounding areas got pounded pretty hard a few times over the last few months, so IDK how rutted out and tore up those trails will be.

Thanks,
TJ

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

With love,
Blake Boyce
CB Overland

View attachment 242075
Welcome to the Overland Bound Community. Glad to have you join us.

Reactions: CB Overland

Kajun Sparkle

Rank V

Advocate III

Japton, Madison County, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Leger
Member #

With love,
Blake Boyce
CB Overland

View attachment 242075
Welcome to OB! Newbie to off-road travel so looking forward to learning from yalls experience!

Reactions: CB Overland