CB Antenna mount option with rooftop tent

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

So I am looking to purchase a permanent CB antenna and trying to figure the best options for mounting location, given the rooftop tent. I would like to get a Firestik style antenna, maybe with the added spring which seems to be recommended a lot, and would like to mount it at the rear if at all possible.
I have a stock bumper (for now) so a rear bumper mount is out). I have seen mounting brackets that bolt/screw on inside the rear hatch ledge, which I imagine would work for me.

Any thoughts that might help me decide. I am also trying to figure out how high above the rooftop tent the antenna should reach? Once installed I will search out somewhere local to get it tuned.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dmn-k400?seid=dxese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-dxese1-_-diamond-antenna&gclid=Cj0KEQjwt-G8BRDktsvwpPTn1PkBEiQA-MRsBRUy6kl5-WWoLQwVr5_-CsY-Nx80JHNxMNJtB3rOv-AaAvxy8P8HAQ
I installed one of these on a buddy's @Mirek 2015 4 runner. Quality is nice and very adjustible. I most recently relocated the mount to his roof rack from the back door.
Good luck!!!
Mirek showed me all the fun stuff you guys did that mount is sweet.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Its nice quality, @Mirek was over the other day and we finished up some lite wiring and moved the antenna mount to the roof rack and it came out great.
No more fun than working on rigs with friends!!!!!

Reactions: tom and Luis Merlo

norseman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kearney, NE
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lundell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0WWQ
Anybody interested in mounting a CB antenna or a Ham Radio antenna needs to read article in the link below. Concerning mounting an antenna on a roof rack: It is not a great idea. Read paragraph 7 to understand why. Good luck and have fun. This is a subject that is not as easy as one would think or wish but it is well worth doing it right.
http://www.olypen.com/craigh/antennab.htm

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
Interesting post @norseman, thanks. I have my CB antenna on the spare tire mount on my Land Rover as it is used only for occasional trial comms in a convoy - which is rare these days. Better I'm towards the front because it radiates to the rear much better than forward - haha

For a while I had my HAM antenna in that location and what I learned from the guys that do radio work for emergency vehicles is that the size (30" -/+) of my HAM antenna was actually driving it's energy INTO the rack, thus not allowing it to dissipate adequately. Needless to say was bad for performance but also bad for the radio itself. Thus I swapped the CB back to that location and went with a No Ground Plane (NGP) version of a Firestik. For the HAM, I use either a Comet SB-1 (18" rubber duck type, better for trail and still works great) or the Diamond 770. Both are rated NGP and I made a small bracket off the side of the rack forward of the leading edge of my RTT for the NMO mount.

Antenna theory is it's own beautiful category which causes me to better understand my needs and solve for those because chasing max performance is an unending challenge for me :-)

Best, Tom

Reactions: norseman

Airmapper

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Here is what I used on my Xterra for the same problem. It's the only thing I could think of on short notice at the time. This is not optimal / ideal...

I bent up a piece of stainless to mount on the fender bolt, it's drilled for an NMO, the antenna is a base loaded whip.

I don't necessarily recommend it. You must remove the stock (broadcast FM) antenna to get the SWR into acceptable range. I do not like that at all.

I'm not sure how well it works. It was acceptable for a trail convoy, but we rarely spread out enough to challenge it. Base loaded antennas don't like to be below the roofline.

I will say this, it took limbs like a champ, even what were really Razer paths I was driving on. Bad thing about it being so flexible is it curves back when driving highway speeds.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Thanks for all the help. I've bitten the bullet and ordered a 4' Firestik with spring, quick release adapter and a rear hatch adjustable mount. I figure this can give me mounting options. I'm going to mount it at the rear to start, see how that works. It is realistically for convoys anyways. I will update once it is installed and I can get it tuned.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I believe their are better spots to locate the antenna than other spots. I was sort of limited to where I could ( or want to) mount mine.