Cast Iron or No? (weight right now is not an issue for me)

• HTML tutorial

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Would really like to bring some cast iron and try my hand at cooking the old fashioned way with briquettes on it/under it.....
Anyone ever try this before? If so- can you tell me how you do it....Pros and Cons....etc...

I already understand that hauling briquettes and the weight would be an issue/cumbersome.....but some of us aren't quite into rockcrawling yet and into more of the camping aspect sometimes....

Would love thoughts/ideas from all! :)

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I think that you're talking about a Dutch oven. I use mine here and there depending on the trip, it's nice to cook something different once in awhile. There are a lot of Dutch oven specific cookbooks that explain techniques as well as the amount of briquettes to use on top and bottom of the oven for each recipe. The lid upside down also doubles a griddle which makes it pretty versatile. I use mine for pizza which is pretty quick and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I carry cast iron to use with my stoves. I just prefer cooking on it to anything else. That said, leave the briquttes at home and learn to use coals from your camp fire instead. You'll never have to worry about not having them and you'll save that weight of the get go. This is my opinion though.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I think that you're talking about a Dutch oven. I use mine here and there depending on the trip, it's nice to cook something different once in awhile. There are a lot of Dutch oven specific cookbooks that explain techniques as well as the amount of briquettes to use on top and bottom of the oven for each recipe. The lid upside down also doubles a griddle which makes it pretty versatile. I use mine for pizza which is pretty quick and easy.

I also forgot to mention that you'll want to buy quality used cast iron if possible. It will cost the same or more but is very worth it. The old ones are better made and have smoother surfaces. I have a 5yo lodge skillet that has been seasoned properly and I cook with regularly that is finally getting to be a pretty skillet but is garbage compared to my decades old and glass smooth griswald. I scored a well used 30yo 14" lodge Dutch oven a couple months ago on Craigslist for $20, so deals are out there.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Would really like to bring some cast iron and try my hand at cooking the old fashioned way with briquettes on it/under it.....
Anyone ever try this before? If so- can you tell me how you do it....Pros and Cons....etc...

I already understand that hauling briquettes and the weight would be an issue/cumbersome.....but some of us aren't quite into rockcrawling yet and into more of the camping aspect sometimes....

Would love thoughts/ideas from all! :)
Do it! If weight is not an issue, you can't beat the taste of food cooked on cast iron outdoors.
We use it 99% of the time on our cook stove. We do use the Dutch oven in the fire for making bread and pizza. We also have a 12" wide deep dish frying pan for everything else.....which also can be used to keep me inline or as a defensive tool....you get one of these in the head you'll be getting colouring books for Xmas for the rest of your life.
The Dutch oven we use on the stove for soups, spaghetti, casserole, roasts, and freeze dried meals. It's also good for keeping stuff warm as your cooking something else for the big feast.
When we use briquettes we purchase them last minute as we go into the wilderness away from everyone, that way we aren't hauling a big bag and we don't have to worry about the bag opening and being strewn about.
My lovely wife doesn't need it, but I use the Cowboy Cook Book, it's all cast iron trail cooking with old recipes from chuck wagon days....the original North American overlanders.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Summit435

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Utah county, Utah
First Name
Frankie
Last Name
Vega
Member #

If weight is not an issue or cargo room then take them. I only carry a cast iron pan for bacon lol, safe travels

Reactions: Chadlyb and Roxxie

OverlandGF8

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Arizona
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Sauber
Member #

I use cast iron and bring a few pieces from my collection while adventuring. I bring a small pot, pan and dual sided flat griddle and grated griddle. The quality is great on cooking anything. Only cons are longer clean up and longer heat up time depending on your fire source. Other than that, well worth it and makes less noise in storage while driving

Reactions: Roxxie and ob4838

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Go for it! But you have to learn how to use. Needs to be seasoned and then never washed. Best all round source is. Cowboy Kent Rollins..on YouTube. Real cowboy travelling cook. Iron is an addiction. If you don't care about weight,time the food is five star and another excuse for good company,good beer..have fun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using OB Talk mobile app
If you season it with fat (bacon, sausage, hamburger fats for example) washing is less of a concern. I usually use olive oil for an initial season but then after I fix a fatty meat in them, wipe them out with just a paper towel afterward to spread the fast and then heat til it smokes. My season improves every time I use them and I find that a light scrub with soap doesn't cause any issues or hurt the seasoning.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Do it! If weight is not an issue, you can't beat the taste of food cooked on cast iron outdoors.
We use it 99% of the time on our cook stove. We do use the Dutch oven in the fire for making bread and pizza. We also have a 12" wide deep dish frying pan for everything else.....which also can be used to keep me inline or as a defensive tool....you get one of these in the head you'll be getting colouring books for Xmas for the rest of your life.
The Dutch oven we use on the stove for soups, spaghetti, casserole, roasts, and freeze dried meals. It's also good for keeping stuff warm as your cooking something else for the big feast.
When we use briquettes we purchase them last minute as we go into the wilderness away from everyone, that way we aren't hauling a big bag and we don't have to worry about the bag opening and being strewn about.
My lovely wife doesn't need it, but I use the Cowboy Cook Book, it's all cast iron trail cooking with old recipes from chuck wagon days....the original North American overlanders.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Absolutely!!! Thanks Just_Us!!!! Great info! and I think I might have that cookbook too- gotta go find it!

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Go for it! But you have to learn how to use. Needs to be seasoned and then never washed. Best all round source is. Cowboy Kent Rollins..on YouTube. Real cowboy travelling cook. Iron is an addiction. If you don't care about weight,time the food is five star and another excuse for good company,good beer..have fun.

Hey W4P!!! Got me subscribed to Cowboy Kent already!! Thanks for the info!!!! Cant wait to watch more!!!

Reactions: Beee and TerryD

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

My cast flat iron skillet goes with me wherever I go. It's flat and stows easily. There are times when my dutch oven gets thrown in, but it's rare due to weight. My entire camp goes with me in three totes on my roof rack, and all components within must have dual purpose and be weight conscious. The flat iron skillet is great for cooking all sorts of food and spans both burners of a propane stove or nicely across two rocks on a fire ring but also doubles as a table cloth anchor, dirt mover in a pinch, and is a great sleeping bag warmer (after it has been cleaned of course) for those frigid nights. Get it toasty warm on the fire before bed, wrap it in an old towel and place it at the bottom of your sleeping bag. Feet stay warm and happy for hours.

Reactions: Roxxie

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I only use cast iron pans at home (with the exception of some stainless pots) and swear by them. Easier cleanup and they cook so much better than anything else. Once I venture into cooking more fresh meals, I plan on taking my skillets along and look into a dutch oven as well.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Carbon steel skillets

I second Cowboy Kent Rollins, great resource.

I've also found that carbon steel skillets can function as a good tradeoff between weight and cooking characteristics. They're seasoned like cast iron but much lower in weight. Cast iron holds a lot more heat but you can still get an excellent sear and crisp off of carbon. Food for thought if/when weight does become an issue. Only picture I could dig up of the carbon steel in action but they cook very similarly to cast iron, just thinner.

IMG_6414.JPG