Canopy camper or trailer

• HTML tutorial

Emslie

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Canada
Prices for everything are crazy so im going the DIY route. I have a friend whos a welder and starting his own company so this project is right up his alley to add to his portfolio. Anyways im trying to decide if i want to do the canopy camper style (access to tent from the inside) or trailer (teardrop style). Build will be aluminum throughout. Both systems present their own unique challenges for build and use. I love both designs but am looking for opinions and discussions on which route to go..a pros and cons and a share of experiences if you have it. The current vehicle will be a 2020 tacoma offroad premium. If there is a source already allocated to the following question, please let me know and ill close this.

Thanks again all! Still amazed to see such a wealth of knowledge.

Mike

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
To me the advantage of having a trailer is that you can store more things, have room to walk around, and can easily be detached from the rig. A canopy camper trailer I think would require more suspension upgrades to handle weight and performance. Not sure if mpg would be much different between the two. I'd think the canopy trailer would have more impact on mpg because it's taller instead of longer as such with a trailer. However, the canopy trailer is cool because it's integrated with the truck and would probably be better for off-road use. I only have experience of owning two different travel trailers. I went this route because there was/is 5 of us in the family.