Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

I am planning my first boarder crossing for this summer. I have researched it and found that there might be an issue crossing into Canada due to Covid restrictions. Has anyone come into this situation or found it close to impossible to cross. Any foreseen issues for Summer?
Help for planning.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Chad C

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Countiss
Member #

Hopefully by summer the border will be somewhat back to normal. Likely tests wont be required if you've got the vaccine, but who knows at this point. You can see what the rules are now here.

Reactions: Road

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We plan on crossing a the end of the Continental Divide trail mid August, but have been told that you will probably need a vaccine.

Some in our group wont have been vaccinated so they plan on just going to the boarder then turning around.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

We plan on crossing a the end of the Continental Divide trail mid August, but have been told that you will probably need a vaccine.

Some in our group wont have been vaccinated so they plan on just going to the boarder then turning around.
That is going to be interesting.

Reactions: Kent R

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Border crossing prohibition and rules around it could change dramatically as winter, spring, and summer passes.

A lot depends on how well--or how poorly, actually--America continues to get the pandemic under control or not.

I'm in Maine for the Big Pause of '20-'21, still making masks and taking names while I can't get out and explore in the way I like. We're surrounded by more Canada than we are by the US (in fact Maine is the only state that shares a border with only one other state).

I am seriously itchy to get back up into the Maritimes of Canada again, and explore New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, and perhaps back up into northern Quebec again too, around the north side of the St Lawrence Seaway.

Rambler

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ontario
First Name
Calvin
Last Name
C
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BEE
Plan-a-way. And while your at it, make a plan B. Like @Road indicated, things are always changing. Generally speaking, you can currently only cross for essential travel (health care workers, commercial trucks, etc.). Ottawa has taken measures not to outright 'ban' non-essential travel, but attempted to make it inconvenient and expensive instead. Some believe Canadians may all be vaccinated by fall 2021, and while local (interior) restrictions may be lifted first, the international border will likely take more time for things to relax. Stay tuned to the Government of Canada's website and the CBC News outlet for up to date information. I'm hoping to scoot across this summer too!

Reactions: Road and rgallant

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Definitely have a plan b ready for summer. I'm here in N ID near the Canadian border and the closure keeps getting extended.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Plan-a-way. And while your at it, make a plan B. Like @Road indicated, things are always changing. Generally speaking, you can currently only cross for essential travel (health care workers, commercial trucks, etc.). Ottawa has taken measures not to outright 'ban' non-essential travel, but attempted to make it inconvenient and expensive instead. Some believe Canadians may all be vaccinated by fall 2021, and while local (interior) restrictions may be lifted first, the international border will likely take more time for things to relax. Stay tuned to the Government of Canada's website and the CBC News outlet for up to date information. I'm hoping to scoot across this summer too!
hey , thank you very much!

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Border crossing prohibition and rules around it could change dramatically as winter, spring, and summer passes........
I am seriously itchy to get back up into the Maritimes of Canada again, and explore New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, and perhaps back up into northern Quebec again too, around the north side of the St Lawrence Seaway.
Like you we’re hoping to get back to Maritime Canada. We were originally set to go in June but have pushed it back to August hoping that the restrictions get lifted. However, I recently found out that the ferry from Maine to NS has been cancelled for the entire 2021 season...

We went to AK last summer as I was able to get a short consulting gig in Alaska that gave us the authority to drive through Canada. Would love to go back and spend time in Canada but they were very paranoid about Covid, particularly the Yukon Territory..

Last edited:
Reactions: Pith Dude and Road

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm 65 and they think I will see the vaccine in July, youger adults might not get a first dose until September. With the variations showing up if anything Canada is planning tighter restrictions, not looser. And until everyone up here is vaccinated if you do travel with USA plates, I doubt you will feel welcome. We have more people pissed with lax border standards than we do people pissed about wearing a mask. No one will care that you have had a shot.

I think this is still the normal.

89927740_10158016572074932_2024004227298230272_n.png

That said, my wife has booked a trip to Africa in December but she also bought all the cancellation insurance.

Pith Dude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Lueker
Member #

I try to think of all the money I'm saving by not being able to travel anywhere. Newfoundland/Labrador is on my road trip Wish List.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Trudeau hates common sense, that border won't be opening... Never missed a year at our cabin in 32 years and wasn't able to get there last summer and likely not this summer either....Pandemic my ass. Thanks leftists.

Reactions: Neuvik