Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

During our last Ambassador call there was some discussion about adding something to the forums to facilitate the discussion of land use issues. I wasn't on the call for long since I had a work call to get on but it did sound like we are moving (albeit slowly) to having a place for land use discussion to occur.

I can assure you that this thread isn't being ignored. I imagine it just hasn't been seen. I've brought it up and they are receptive.

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

Had a great conversation with @Corrie and @Michael today about this subject, they've got some great updates and changes in the works. so sit tight, they do hear us and are working hard on how to address these issues. cant wait to see it come to fruition!

Reactions: Road

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey everyone,

Please don't mistake my lack of response for lack of concern or agreement. We have had software development and plans to support this for quite a while - some I'll share below. What is important to the community is important to me. Many folks on this thread have my personal phone number. Please use it when a topic has this much momentum and concern. I'm not shirking any responsibility here, and glad to address it now.

Land Use section. I'll create a "Land Use - Leave it Better Than you Found It" section. We have multiple Members we've been talking to about coordinating this effort.
  • We'll tie this to our Trail Guardian Program: Trail Guardian Rally Points can now be created and have information about the program automatically added to the announcement. You do not need to be an Overland Bound Member to create a Trail Guardian Rally Point. Anyone may do so by accessing this link: Trail Guardian Rally Point
  • It will be a top level thread
  • We'll need to iterate on sub-threads, but the first I propose is "Local Land Uses Information and News"
  • Oh, just thought of second - "Local Trail Cleanup Events - Trail Guardian"
I like the rules that @slomatt proposed. This is not a political debate. Every land use issue has pros and cons, and our goal is to inform. I know @WCO_Ryan offered help, and others have offered to help. We would also like to begin adding local trails to our member resource map with credit to those that maintain them, and a donation link. We'll need help adding and identifying them.

The first rules will be:
  • All posts must include the state and trail/area name in the title to make it easy to scan the threads. For example, "[CA] Oceano Dunes risk of closure" or "[CA] Work party to fix the water crossing on the Deer Valley Trail".
  • No political discussions or chit chat, just facts on what is happening.
"No name calling or profanities goes for the entire site.

As always,

Thank you!

M

Reactions: Jeff Knoll and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thank you Michael, for responding and acknowledging what a number of members have brought up and would like to have as part of this site. Looking forward to seeing how it shapes up and gets people more involved in local land issues and events.

Reactions: Michael

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey all - in response to Overland Bound member requests, we have a wonderful new top level addition to the forums:

Land Use - Leave It Better Than You Found It

It is available to both members and public and currently has two primary sub-forums:

Local Trail Cleanup Events - Trail Guardian
Planning a cleanup event? Post it here!
Local Land Use Information and News
Please start one new thread for each local topic:
- Posts must include the state and trail/area name in the title to make it easy to scan the threads. For example, "[CA] Oceano Dunes risk of closure" or "[CA] Work party to fix the water crossing on the Deer Valley Trail".
- No political discussions or chit chat, just facts on what is happening.
LandUseForum-image3.png

More sub-forums may be added, like a place to post links to local, national, and worldwide workshops and organizations that promote low-impact use and responsible recreation.

The Core Principles of Overland Bound include that A Connection To Nature Is Paramount, that you should Leave It Better Than You Found It, that there be No Barriers To Information, and that we Help Each Other and Engage In the Smallest Of Interactions.

The Land Use - Leave It Better Than You Found It forum help us live and share these principles.

Help Overland Bound spread the word by posting in these forums about local trail improvement and clean-up efforts, land use issues, and opportunities to be involved.

Let others know what you are doing and how they can help!

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #