Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Generally, if I have to bribe cops somewhere, that's somewhere that I don't want to go.

Doesn't Mexico have issues with people towing across the border? Something about that it's better for your passenger to drive the jeep across? I can see hauling a camper and flat towing a jeep to Moab...........but to S. America? Nope. Not for me.
It was common at the time (I dont know about now) and people there were still deferential to men. If there was a car crash, the police sometimes wanted to speak to the man or would ask a lone female driver where her husband or father was.

Maybe its changed now, who knows. Beautiful country, for sure, though. The mountains, the rice paddies, the ocean and beaches. Second largest population of Germans in the world and they have a big Octoberfest in an area called Blumenal. Large Italian population in Nova Veneza. So really a lot of nice places to go

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
That's great news. The last time I was in Mexico and Brazil was probably 15 years ago, and that was what the locals advised me to do. That way, if they are the bribing kind, they just take it and leave you alone. If they are not, then it's just a mistake that there was 20 bucks tucked in where I got my license out of
I’ve been driving off and on in Mexico since 1979 and in Brazil since 2001. Never had a suggestion of bribery on the road. I’ve come across suggestions in Bolivia, Paraguay, and Venezuela but never given anything.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I cant speak to Bolivia, Paraguay or Veezuela. Only Brazil and Mexico of late 1990's to early 2000's. To be clear, I've never been asked by an official, but was told to be prepared in the way I mentioned. Sort of a "dont ask/ dont tell". It came in handy at least once.

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

how ever..trailer or flat tow. you will not be taking a heavy slide in camper anywhere where you might have problems. then go trail ridding in the jeep, where ever you set up. again..
That is exactly how I was thinking. The truck is a base and the Jeep is for exploring. The jeep would have a small kitchen and a tent for overnight stays... but most of the time, we would be in the truck/camper.