Can I Overland in this Rig?

• HTML tutorial

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I would love to do the Pan American highway but my wife is unwilling to "live" in the Jeep....

While in Taos this summer, we passed a rig much like the one in the picture. She said, why can't we do the Pan American highway in a rig like that?

The plan would be to basecamp in the truck camper and then to explore in the Jeep. We would carry a tent and outfit the Jeep with a kitchen so we can do overnight (multi-night) stays while exploring remote areas.

Is this rig too big for Overlanding?

I already have a Jeep that looks very much like the one in the picture... I would just need the truck and camper to get going... Well, that and retire from my job.... LOL.

-B

Cirrus-Camper-with-towed-Jeep.jpg

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I would love to do the Pan American highway but my wife is unwilling to "live" in the Jeep....

While in Taos this summer, we passed a rig much like the one in the picture. She said, why can't we do the Pan American highway in a rig like that?

The plan would be to basecamp in the truck camper and then to explore in the Jeep. We would carry a tent and outfit the Jeep with a kitchen so we can do overnight (multi-night) stays while exploring remote areas.

Is this rig too big for Overlanding?

I already have a Jeep that looks very much like the one in the picture... I would just need the truck and camper to get going... Well, that and retire from my job.... LOL.

-B

View attachment 181199
I love this setup, now while I'm no expert when it comes the Pan-American Highway, I'm sure you will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum to tap into. I'm looking into two options - 1. Towing my CJ on a trailer for cross country trips, or I would like to pick up one of those HQ Black Series 15 or Opus 15 Camper/RV trailers. With the 2nd option I can park the RV at a set location and use my Truck to explore.

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

if you do go the camper route, i would suggest you get a fullsize 8ft box, they are more stable and better handling than a shortbox
'
That would be a great rig too. Truck for living and the wheeler for exploring.
Have you taken that rig on the Pan American in South America?
-B

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

nope...size is only as big as your mind makes it...
prob 1 of only half a doz or so here that wheels a fullsize T&C....(the few the proud...)
if you do go the camper route, i would suggest you get a fullsize 8ft box, they are more stable and better handling than a shortboxView attachment 181393View attachment 181395View attachment 181399
Kickass rig. Love the square bodies" and love that look of a camper, whether it's a slide in like this or a travel trailer.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Hmm - if it were us, we'd put a bed in the Jeep and go with that (only). Hauling two vehicles is going to use a ton of fuel, and will make travel more complex (narrow streets, tight tracks, etc., as well as being unable to go (for example) from Chachapoyas to Cajamarca since you'd end up with the big vehicle left behind and would need to 'bus back to bring it to Cajamarca the long way round...). If you really need more space than the Jeep gives you, then take the pick-up and a couple of bicycles. Assuming you want to come back then you'll have the cost of fuel for both if you drive, the cost of shipping both if you ship.

PS: if you do travel to Tierra del Fuego, stay off the Pan American as much as you can - it's relatively boring in much of the route, heavily used by trucks and 'buses, and has a lot of debris which will puncture tyres. The secondary roads give access to a lot more enjoyment.

runswithscissors

Rank III

Advocate I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
phillip
Last Name
bonds
i would say Yes... i have NO experience with the Pan American hwy. but i do have experience with truck / slide in camper. i use almost that set up only i'm towing a 14ft trailer with a side by side. one thing i would say is that looks to be a very heavy slide in. the more you get it off the beaten path the weight will be a factor. you want less not more. go with the long box on the truck. in remote places i have to find a pretty large camping area just to make sure i have room to get in and out. my camper is a pop up truck box camper. cuts down on the weight and low clearance places. on of the big down sides tho is keeping it warm when it gets cold. i am going to try to solve this by putting a china knoc off diesel heater in it this year. these are just some of the things i run into. hope some of this helps =)

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
No.

Go way bigger on the truck. DRW. If it's a tow pig, then set it up as a tow pig. Not some half arsed RV toter. SRW trucks are great compromises, but Overlanding+wheeling+towing= you need some redundancy with wheels and tires. An SRW truck can haul a camper nicely, or a big trailer nicely, but not both. But a DRW can. Get the largest axle ratios that you can. An f350 DRW, 7.3l gas, fx4, 4.30 would do nicely.

Then go a bit lighter on the camper. A Bundutec is likely much lighter than a Cirrus, and just as nice.

Then pick up a nice flatbed trailer with tandem axles. Reinforce the fenders so that they're ''run over fender'' if it's a nice low style trailer. Then put the smallest lightest TJ or YJ on the trailer. As light as possible. Flat towing a jeep eats tire cost, and if you break the jeep, you can't tow it home.

Even with Kids, you don't need a four door jeep for wheeling around town for short amounts of time. If the truck is optimized for comfort and the highway, then optimize the jeep for trails.

Cheaper option #2: Just get the truck and camper for now. Spend time on fullsize friendly dirt roads. Get the jeep and trailer later.

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

i would say Yes... i have NO experience with the Pan American hwy. but i do have experience with truck / slide in camper. i use almost that set up only i'm towing a 14ft trailer with a side by side. one thing i would say is that looks to be a very heavy slide in. the more you get it off the beaten path the weight will be a factor. you want less not more. go with the long box on the truck. in remote places i have to find a pretty large camping area just to make sure i have room to get in and out. my camper is a pop up truck box camper. cuts down on the weight and low clearance places. on of the big down sides tho is keeping it warm when it gets cold. i am going to try to solve this by putting a china knoc off diesel heater in it this year. these are just some of the things i run into. hope some of this helps =)
I like this. I've been looking at DRW F450s with a 7.3 diesel.
Small problem... I already own the Jeep and it is ready to go with all the options that I would add (2-inch lift, 33" tires, winch, etc.)
My main concern with the big rig (mostly because I am clueless on the subject) is getting around South America. Would a DRW truck with a trailer present a problem? My thoughts are, if I come to a tight spot, while flat towing, I can disconnect the jeep and drive both through the obstacle. With a trailer, that is not possible. Also, I flat town the jeep behind the motorhome so we are used to doing that.

Brokedown

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
In terms of access in South America, it depends where you want to go - no problem on Highway 5 in Chile and other freeway-type highways, however if you want to travel from Chachapoyas to Cajamarca (for example) it would be difficult (and if you encounter any problems would turn into a nightmare). If you just want to drive to TdF and back on main roads, no problem (except for the fuel consumption), if you want to explore the remoter areas then I think this is turning out to be too big/too heavy.

runswithscissors

Rank III

Advocate I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
phillip
Last Name
bonds
I like this. I've been looking at DRW F450s with a 7.3 diesel.
Small problem... I already own the Jeep and it is ready to go with all the options that I would add (2-inch lift, 33" tires, winch, etc.)
My main concern with the big rig (mostly because I am clueless on the subject) is getting around South America. Would a DRW truck with a trailer present a problem? My thoughts are, if I come to a tight spot, while flat towing, I can disconnect the jeep and drive both through the obstacle. With a trailer, that is not possible. Also, I flat town the jeep behind the motorhome so we are used to doing that.

Brokedown
for me the reality is 'if' you are towing the jeep.. how ever..trailer or flat tow. you will not be taking a heavy slide in camper anywhere where you might have problems. then go trail ridding in the jeep, where ever you set up. again.. if its something really light. its more do-able. but.. the truck can get you somewhere nice and a little of the path and more importantly gets the wife to go.. so. all in all you will be making compromises. just what one's you want to make =) just make sure to get a beast of a wench on it.. just in case =) and then GO! thats the most important part. attached pic is my set up.. 07 chevy gas burner heavy 3/4t. for me its the length of it all and then the weight that hinders me the most. but i still manage to get off into some place's you couldn't drive a car =)

Attachments

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Drawbacks are plenty, but if time and money are no issue, its doable.

Fuel. Making sure you have enough to get from A to B at a reduced mileage. Also, diesel would be the only way I would do it.
Spare tires. You will want 2 per rig. Thats a lot of weight and space.
Every country in SA will require each vehicle country registration. Double your spend there. Also, I'd work with an RV shop that has international travel experience to ensure your towing apparatus meets all requirements for all countries.
Insurance acceptable for both rigs may take some research with a toad.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Eh, not to spill the beans here but in my experience driving in Brazil...keep a $20 in with your drivers license and another in with your registration. When you get pulled over, they usually just ask for your license. Keep that $20 under it as you pass the license over. Maybe keep the 20 between the license and some business card you dont care about, and hand all 3 over. Plausible deniability if they dont want the 20. "Opps it was stuck in there. Anyway, when they get your license they usually look at the license and flip it over. If they are happy with what they $ee there, you go on your merry way. If they could use a little extra cash that day, they ask for your registration and the same thing happens

If they aren't happy THEN, well, your day just got interesting. As me how I know.

Reactions: MidOH

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
We have driven up to Prudoe Bay from VA last summer. 10 weeks and almost 15,000 miles in our F-350 with a Hallmark Expedition Camper. All the comforts of home for an extended trip and very capable..We’ll be doing Atlantic Canada this summer hopefully...

68789890-8038-4EA2-ACF9-28833DE72319.jpeg68789890-8038-4EA2-ACF9-28833DE72319.jpegB1B6099C-61FE-4853-BC81-7B1C596BF0AF.jpegC44A7ECF-FF20-42A6-903B-17B047CC73F0.jpeg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Eh, not to spill the beans here but in my experience driving in Brazil...keep a $20 in with your drivers license and another in with your registration. When you get pulled over, they usually just ask for your license. Keep that $20 under it as you pass the license over. Maybe keep the 20 between the license and some business card you dont care about, and hand all 3 over. Plausible deniability if they dont want the 20. "Opps it was stuck in there. Anyway, when they get your license they usually look at the license and flip it over. If they are happy with what they $ee there, you go on your merry way. If they could use a little extra cash that day, they ask for your registration and the same thing happens

If they aren't happy THEN, well, your day just got interesting. As me how I know.
Generally, if I have to bribe cops somewhere, that's somewhere that I don't want to go.

Doesn't Mexico have issues with people towing across the border? Something about that it's better for your passenger to drive the jeep across? I can see hauling a camper and flat towing a jeep to Moab...........but to S. America? Nope. Not for me.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Drawbacks are plenty, but if time and money are no issue, its doable.

Fuel. Making sure you have enough to get from A to B at a reduced mileage. Also, diesel would be the only way I would do it.
Spare tires. You will want 2 per rig. Thats a lot of weight and space.
Every country in SA will require each vehicle country registration. Double your spend there. Also, I'd work with an RV shop that has international travel experience to ensure your towing apparatus meets all requirements for all countries.
Insurance acceptable for both rigs may take some research with a toad.
I recommend petrol/gas not diesel. Your consumption will be huge with what you seem to be ending up with.
I don’t understand the reference to country registration- you’ll presumably be on a carnet (my recommendation) or TIPs.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia

We’ve never paid a bribe anywhere in South America (or elsewhere come to that).

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

We’ve never paid a bribe anywhere in South America (or elsewhere come to that).
That's great news. The last time I was in Mexico and Brazil was probably 15 years ago, and that was what the locals advised me to do. That way, if they are the bribing kind, they just take it and leave you alone. If they are not, then it's just a mistake that there was 20 bucks tucked in where I got my license out of