Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

I've got an 04 Prerunner that is stock with highway tires... for now. I don't try any crazy mudding or rock crawling and choose my trails carefully. I do plan on a leveling kit to squeeze one size larger all terrains and way down the line will eventually put an ARB front bumper with a winch for self recovery so I can get a little deeper in the woods. These trucks are pretty good off road as they are, so mainly its just selecting the proper lines, not trying to hang with the 4x4's with 20 foot lift kits and 72 inch mud tires.

Go down a few trails when you have an opportunity with a few friends that can help pull you out, this will allow you to test your ability, let you know what your truck's limits are with you as the operator and hopefully allow you to learn a few tricks.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Coming in kinda late on this one, but there are plenty of places to go and things to do without 4wd, and there are certainly things you can do to offset that. The rear locker idea is good, but even a limited slip would be adequate / help, as will the ability to air down. I actually followed an older square body blazer through the entire Top of the World trail in Moab, and he did it all with just a rear locker. He technically had 4wd but had just put in a new rear end and had not yet re-geared the front to match, so couldn't use it without damage. Granted, he was also a very experienced driver and had done that trail plenty of times, but really had no issues.

Heck, I did 95% of the Medium 2 trail at the Ozarks in 2wd, and probably could have done it all, but just didn't want to tear it up for those behind me.

Second, have recovery gear.. Even a winch! In many cases when you get stuck, it won't take much to get you through it. Alternatively you may get by with a come-along or high-lift, just make sure you practice using them and know what you're doing. Shovel, traction boards, tow straps will all help, and at a minimum have what you need to allow someone else to pull you out (recovery points and a strap). Your biggest challenge will probably be when it's wet..

But really, most of the trails we use to get to a camping spot, although unpaved and a little bumpy, are generally accessible with 2wd as long as you have some clearance. Even some of those very remote spots..

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Remember those family trips when we(some of us!) were kids in the wood-sided station wagons? No 4x4 there! Like others said, just go where you're comfortable exploring, and don't get into any situations that you'll end up regretting. It's definitely not necessary. More of a luxury than anything else, at least for most of us who don't do any real hard wheeling.
Good advice............ A short shovel, a recovery strap and a shackle are the minimum basics if dirt roads, regress into fire roads that seem to be neglected. If you have a hitch...so much the better. Watch You-tube recovery videos and peruse the recovery threads within OB. That way your familiar on what you can do, and can't when you leave the tarmac.
The only other thing i can think off......for a few dollars more.....movie tie in :blush: is a set of recovery boards, but in your case don't go overboard, a cheap set is probably all you will ever need. check Amazon or E-Bay if this interests you. I just bought a set on E-Bay and at least 1 other member here bought a set for himself ($69) after alerting him. It's possible others have also. Caveat: As others have mentioned, you should be fine, don't stress, enjoy your time with the family. My parents took me and my sister camping all over. I still have all those memories, and would not trade them for anything.

Our members OB 'recovery thread' and 'what you bought and plan to buy' have some ideas!.....check them out, if you haven't already. I grew up helping my dad dig his 2 wheel drive dodge out a few times, when we went too deep into the backwoods in sketchy traction situations. No modern devices,.......... a shovel and chain at most. ENJOY

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

We have a 2003 Tacoma prerunner. Love it. Does not have 4 wd.
2WD is not a problem. Be sure you know how to back up, turn around. The 1960s, 1970s, the baby boomers years were all about camping. NO one had 4WD back then. Only nice option is some kind of limited slip. It is amazing how much farther you can go with some kind of traction control.

With 2WD you need a brain, ... oh wait you need a brain with 4WD too. 4WD just gets you stuck real good.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
In the 80's we didn't camp where we do now. Didn't even consider ''snow wheeling''. Yeah there's stuff 2wd's can't do, so what.

Skip the locker. When I lock my trucks rear axle in 2wd, it usually gets worse to drive in mud, or wet anything. In 4wd it's grand. In 2wd it's useless most of the time. Avoiding wheel spin going up steep dry gravel, is about the only time it's useful in 2wd.

Your truck is a 2003. I doubt it'll be your last truck. Get 4wd on your next truck. Do 2wd friendly trips now. Get a set of TireClaws.

I've done most of my favorite tight, paint ruining, camper ripping, trails with my olde Jeep YJ. Now that the YJ is dust (literally), I'm just doing more open roads and trails only. With a big full size truck. And I'm doing the long distance, and winter trips now, that the YJ couldn't do.

I'm keeping a list of tight spots that I couldn't do. I'll go back with my bike, or maybe a smaller vehicle later on in life. Maybe even Mk1 hiking boot it.

You don't ever need a vehicle that can do all the trails. We have all of the rest of our lives to do this. Do what you can with your current ride, save some stuff for your next one.

Reactions: sabjku