Can a 2 x 4 make it to the Northern Rim of Grand Canyon?

• HTML tutorial

Cody Bundura

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Moreno Valley CA 92555
Member #

I have a Tacoma with a 3" Lift, no lockers, 2x4 is it possible for me to make it to the Northern Rim of Grand Canyon on trails and if so what trails and camp sites? Any advice or help appreciate thank you. [emoji4]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: JUSTIN DELAND

Cody Bundura

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Moreno Valley CA 92555
Member #

I use to live at the north rim. Where were you trying to go and see?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Maybe "Point Sublime" or "Toroweap" I'm not positive just wanted to see the Grand Canyon and possibly do some camping and overlanding, With my wife for our anniversary. But not looking to be in the tourist traps.

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

You can usually make it out to Point Sublime in 2x4. I would call the ranger station to check the road condition. Sometimes it's gets pretty bad over the winters. If its dry and not washed out it should be doable for you. Toroweap is the same story sort of. The road to the ranger station at Toroweap is graded. The last little bit is the rough part. They ranger comes out and tells you the road conditions. There is a
Spot where you could drive close and hike the last bit.
I haven't been to Toroweap in 2 years. The roads can wash out pretty quick out there.

The North Rim Lodge area isn't as much of a tourist trap as you would think. Its much smaller than the southrim. The North Rim only has one Lodge complex at the end of highway 67 and then a campground. Taking the drive to cape royal and Point imperial on the paved roads would be worth it if you had the extra time.
Also if you are driving to the north rim from the west, when you get just passed the "lotto guns ammo beer" gas station. On the right will be a sign for Forest road 22 that road is a graded dirt road that going into the national forest and eventually meets hwy 67. If you pick up a map or have a good gps app you can take some side roads to get to Point Sublime as well. Once you are in the forest you can camp you will see spots where people have pulled off and made camp. The side roads that branch off are sometimes more secluded but can be rougher. Over all I have rarely needed 4wd out there on the main dirt roads. Its the dirt roads inside the park boundary that are poor and sometimes tricky.

I have a friend that still lives there, I'm going to see if he can find out the road conditions for Point Sublime.

Cody Bundura

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Moreno Valley CA 92555
Member #

Wow thank you so much this was just the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you for your help I will definitely be doing this trip in about two week from now. I will let you know how it goes. [emoji5]️

Rogue Beardsman

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rotonda West, Florida
Member #

My friend says the road to Point Sublime might be closed still. She said she was gonna find out and get back to me but I haven't heard yet. So I looked up the alert page online

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/weather-condition.htm

If you scroll to the north rim section it seems like some unpacked roads are closed.
There is a number you can call for more exact details and trip planning. Since maybe they will have some roads open before your trip.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Cody Bundura

Cody Bundura

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Moreno Valley CA 92555
Member #

My friend says the road to Point Sublime might be closed still. She said she was gonna find out and get back to me but I haven't heard yet. So I looked up the alert page online

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/weather-condition.htm

If you scroll to the north rim section it seems like some unpacked roads are closed.
There is a number you can call for more exact details and trip planning. Since maybe they will have some roads open before your trip.
Hope this helps.

This is a great little site I will be checking it for updates every day until we leave and I give them a call when we leave to get a report on the condition.

You really have done a lot and have been a great help thanks again I owe you one.