Campsite Power Options..Portabe wind Generators

• HTML tutorial

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Everyone knows about solar power and the fragile panels you need to lug around. Being careful not to break the glass.
has anyone had any experience with a portable wind turbine or generator?
There are quite a few in developmental stages and a few on the market now. This Portable Generator technology could be a boon to our needs as Overlanders. Power solutions are a necessary part of going off the grid in this day and age. The charging, and powering, of Phones, Fridges, Ham Radios, camp lighting, and vehicle batteries.

I found this on You Tube and it looks very interesting... Id love to hear some input of the positives and negatives you guys see with this product. Im going to look into this more myself and possibly get one....

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

This is an interesting topic, and one I'll be sure to follow. Wind generators have been a mainstay (pun intended) on long distance sail boats for decades. I'd think that technology could easily be scaled for more portable use.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I too have considered adding a wind turbine to supplement my solar for portable power. While we have plenty of sun out here in the desert, a wind turbine is more of a set up and forget it without having to worry about keeping the solar panels oriented toward the sun.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I've (tried to) sleep belowdecks when that thing is spinning on my old man's boat. 22' up and it still sounds like a jet turbine. I wouldnt even consider it for an overland vehicle. Also, the wind has to be pretty steady and strong for them to provide decent charging voltage (13.6v) which is another reason they are mounted so high up. ALSO, they are extremely fragile, the blades crack easily and need to constantly be replaced, and the windings have had to be replaced three times now (salt air)

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I would think the storage one would need also to be a pain unless you had a large vehicle with loads of storage..

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I can't imagine that small unit in the OP can do much more than charge a cell phone over the coarse of a day. Let alone power a fridge or any other large piece of overland equipment.

Personally I think it's more cost efficient to add a dual battery system. That should handle 90% of anyone's needs with the right batteries and careful use for 3-6 days without starting the vehicle.

If you need to thump your stereo all day better get an array of solar panels or a gas generator.

Last edited: