Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Out of Colorado of all places, the High West Distillery. Their Rendezvous Rye is legit with high yield rye, not the low requirements to call it rye (Greater than 51%). A very big Rye in every way. Definitely not for beginners. Their Double Rye is less expensive, clean and smooth. An excellent entry into the realm of Ryes.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Out of Colorado of all places, the High West Distillery. Their Rendezvous Rye is legit with high yield rye, not the low requirements to call it rye (Greater than 51%). A very big Rye in every way. Definitely not for beginners. Their Double Rye is less expensive, clean and smooth. An excellent entry into the realm of Ryes.
I like High West.

But out of Colorado?

Last I checked, even less likely than Colorado, they were out of Utah, near Salt Lake City.

I have their double rye on hand. I have been told I need to find their Yippee Ki-Yay. I will have to add Rendezvous to the list.

Reactions: AutomaticBluez

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I enjoy my bourbon. Right now I'd say my favorite is definitely the Woodford Reserve. A local liquor store also recommended I try the Glenalough Irish Whisky and I find it very good (and quite inexpensive).
Forty Creek cream liquor is mandatory for camping , and a bottle lives in the camper full time. Without question the single best cream liquor I've ever tried. Be warned, once you give it a shot you will never, ever drink that Baileys type garbage again.
i really like baileys so definitely going to try forty creek cream...thanks for the recommendation!

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tigard, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
I enjoy my bourbon. Right now I'd say my favorite is definitely the Woodford Reserve. A local liquor store also recommended I try the Glenalough Irish Whisky and I find it very good (and quite inexpensive).
Forty Creek cream liquor is mandatory for camping , and a bottle lives in the camper full time. Without question the single best cream liquor I've ever tried. Be warned, once you give it a shot you will never, ever drink that Baileys type garbage again.
Nice! I'm pretty oblivious regarding Irish Whiskey.

Gary

Reactions: trikebubble

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
I like High West.

But out of Colorado?

Last I checked, even less likely than Colorado, they were out of Utah, near Salt Lake City.

I have their double rye on hand. I have been told I need to find their Yippee Ki-Yay. I will have to add Rendezvous to the list.
It looks like High West Distillery is out of Utah. A roads trip is in order.

Cheers!
Gary

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
A great time I had many years ago was when I got invited to a Johnny Walker scotch tasting. It started with a steak dinner which was obviously a smart idea given what was to come....ha.

Our placemats were maps of Scotland. On the map were marked the 8 (IIRC it was 8), single malts that go into Johnny Walker blended scotch. A line went from the location of the distillery to a small circle which had a half shot on that single malts whiskey. At the top of the map were two circles with 2 small snifters of Johnny Walker red and black.

The talk was given by one of 3 "master blenders" of Johnny Walker. He wore a kilt obviously and had a little stove cooking peat that permeated the room. Throuought dinner soft highland music was playing in the background.

After dinner he gave a slide show with pictures of each single malts distillery and would describe what their whisky's were known for. Some were lighter, some heavier, one I remember distinctly was an almost overpowering taste of peat, literally like drinking smoke. When he described the distillery he would point out the flavors and smells to look for with that one.

He explained that the challenge for any blended scotch maker is that each year the single malts would all be different in flavor and aroma based on the weather, the crop used for the scotch etc. But the blended whiskey had to taste the same year in and year out. We finished with the Johnny Walker samples. It was so cool.

That part i found really amazing is that the blending of the various single malts is all done by smell, not by taste. It was a very cool evening. I definitely recommend it to anyone should you get a chance to go to one (if they are even doing them still).

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
A great time I had many years ago was when I got invited to a Johnny Walker scotch tasting. It started with a steak dinner which was obviously a smart idea given what was to come....ha.

Our placemats were maps of Scotland. On the map were marked the 8 (IIRC it was 8), single malts that go into Johnny Walker blended scotch. A line went from the location of the distillery to a small circle which had a half shot on that single malts whiskey. At the top of the map were two circles with 2 small snifters of Johnny Walker red and black.

The talk was given by one of 3 "master blenders" of Johnny Walker. He wore a kilt obviously and had a little stove cooking peat that permeated the room. Throuought dinner soft highland music was playing in the background.

After dinner he gave a slide show with pictures of each single malts distillery and would describe what their whisky's were known for. Some were lighter, some heavier, one I remember distinctly was an almost overpowering taste of peat, literally like drinking smoke. When he described the distillery he would point out the flavors and smells to look for with that one.

He explained that the challenge for any blended scotch maker is that each year the single malts would all be different in flavor and aroma based on the weather, the crop used for the scotch etc. But the blended whiskey had to taste the same year in and year out. We finished with the Johnny Walker samples. It was so cool.

That part i found really amazing is that the blending of the various single malts is all done by smell, not by taste. It was a very cool evening. I definitely recommend it to anyone should you get a chance to go to one (if they are even doing them still).
Nice! That is a great experience. Check out the documentary on Amazon Prime called "Scotch: A Golden Dream".

Cheers!
Gary

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
Nice! That is a great experience. Check out the documentary on Amazon Prime called "Scotch: A Golden Dream".

Cheers!
Gary
Oh cool thanks! I would love to think I could be a small batch distiller for friends and family kind of thing (not that I could or would....dont need to go blind! Ha) but I appreciate the chemistry coupled with art behind distilling. I will check it out!

There is something magical about that drink after dinner in some remote wild place....you've had a busy, long, but good day- maybe it's a long day fishing streams, maybe just seeing incredible territory, or a hunt that took you over mountains and ridges. The light is fading, dishes are washed, the fire is crackling and wood is stacked next to it. You sit down and take that sip. The warmth spreads through you. You're talking with friends about what you saw, plans for tomorrow, politics, high school, whatever. Its magic for sure.

Reactions: Travelinjohnnie

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Oh cool thanks! I would love to think I could be a small batch distiller for friends and family kind of thing (not that I could or would....dont need to go blind! Ha) but I appreciate the chemistry coupled with art behind distilling. I will check it out!

There is something magical about that drink after dinner in some remote wild place....you've had a busy, long, but good day- maybe it's a long day fishing streams, maybe just seeing incredible territory, or a hunt that took you over mountains and ridges. The light is fading, dishes are washed, the fire is crackling and wood is stacked next to it. You sit down and take that sip. The warmth spreads through you. You're talking with friends about what you saw, plans for tomorrow, politics, high school, whatever. Its magic for sure.
I agree 100%. I work too hard with not enough of this. This year I intend to get out more.

Cheers!

Reactions: Wilbah

BigRedDog

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Clifford
Member #

I'm generally a bourbon over rye kind of guy. The few more affordable bottles I generally like to keep stocked in my bar are:

- Four Roses Small Batch
- Breckenridge Bourbon
- Basil Hayden
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Woodford Reserve

If I'm feeling fancier I'll generally have:

- Breckenridge Distillers Reserve Barrel Select
- Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
- Old Forester 1920

Some great suggestions in the thread!

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
I'm generally a bourbon over rye kind of guy. The few more affordable bottles I generally like to keep stocked in my bar are:

- Four Roses Small Batch
- Breckenridge Bourbon
- Basil Hayden
- Bulleit Bourbon
- Woodford Reserve

If I'm feeling fancier I'll generally have:

- Breckenridge Distillers Reserve Barrel Select
- Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
- Old Forester 1920

Some great suggestions in the thread!
Nice. More to add to my list. Will definitely check out the Breckenridge.

Cheers!
Gary

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M

Cheers!
Gary
I watched it this AM. What a GREAT show! Thank you for the recommendation! So great to see all the places and the people. It really tells a great history of scotch and where it has come. I truly wish I had the palate to discern all the varieties of smells and flavors. My wife is (my term) a "super taster". She can taste any meal and tell you every ingredient that was used. If you have ever seen the movie Sideways (if you haven't its a great movie) I am like Thomas Hayden Church's character when Paul Giamatti asks him "do you have GUM in your mouth?" at a wine tasting. Haha. But I do appreciate it. I definitely need to do more "discerning" with the various flavors and aromas. Thanks again for recommending it!!

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
I watched it this AM. What a GREAT show! Thank you for the recommendation! So great to see all the places and the people. It really tells a great history of scotch and where it has come. I truly wish I had the palate to discern all the varieties of smells and flavors. My wife is (my term) a "super taster". She can taste any meal and tell you every ingredient that was used. If you have ever seen the movie Sideways (if you haven't its a great movie) I am like Thomas Hayden Church's character when Paul Giamatti asks him "do you have GUM in your mouth?" at a wine tasting. Haha. But I do appreciate it. I definitely need to do more "discerning" with the various flavors and aromas. Thanks again for recommending it!!
I learned a lot also. I think you need to train the nose. They say having a good niff helps to discern. My sense of smell isn't the greatest though.

LOL

Gary

Reactions: Wilbah