Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Dry Fly is s good local to Spokane. Also love pendelton, knob creek. Angels envy is what got us started on the whiskey kick 6 years ago.
Im also a fan of Dry Fly, Don and Kent the owners are good people too. Another Washington Whisky that I have come to enjoy is Heritage Distilling BSB (formerly Elk Rider). At work one of our customers has a pipe and drum band that is sponsored by Heritage Distilling and as we were working on his truck he started putting bottles on everyones tool boxes. It was like Irish Santa Clause was running around in the shop, lol. I really dont drink much whisky (really dont drink much at all anymore) but those two are my favorites. Pendelton also holds a special place in my heart. That was what I drank with a guy who would become a great friend after we both found ourselves back in Spokane after the military, and all of our previous friends had either moved on or were dead. That whisky was the catalyst for one hell of a friendship.
Oh and I gotta throw out Canadian Club. Its more of a joke, a good buddy of mine that I used to ride vintage bikes with and I founded an anti club called the Baby Seals. The motto is "clubs are for baby seals" and the official drink is Canadian Club. Its all quite hilarious and in bad taste, lol.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
For a Scotsman you need more recommendations without the "e".

Campbell Town has some great whiskies. Kilkerran 8 yr cask strength is a winner you should be able to find. Awesome, but unobtanium, is Longrow Red port finish (note they use a different finish each year--port was several years back and is next to impossible to get).

Reactions: AutomaticBluez

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tigard, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
I’ve found myself slowly drifting to rye these days but I still try to keep up with the standards. New Riff is a pretty solid newer label and I love that Sycamore Whiskey has started making a traditional Apple Jack again. The best bourbon for the money right now is Henry McKenna which is a single barrel release and is still bottled in bond. Absolutely fantastic for 1/4 the price of Whistle Pig or Rip Van Winkle.

That being said, Woodford Reserve is still my go-to drink. Something about that limestone water just makes it better. Honorable mentions to Blanton’s and Basil Hayden’s.

(I tried to post some links for where to find some of these but the forum settings won’t allow those links.)

View attachment 131091

Not bourbon, but still Whisk(e)y related, I found a bottle of Jack Daniels Barrel Proof single barrel earlier today when I was driving through Kentucky. Looking forward to giving this one a try.

View attachment 131092

Cheers!
Nice! Will definitely look into that Henry McKenna. I've never tried Whistle Pig or Rip Van Winkle. Each time I'm tempted I go for Scotch. LOL

My cousin back home in Glasgow loves herself some Jack Daniels. Drank my fair share of it while younger. Looks like I may have to revisit.

Cheers!
Gary

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Are they hiring??? Sounds like a great place to work...
I loved the people at that gig. The work life balance not so much. 80+ hour weeks for over six months meant no time to play. But hey, next time you visit U.S. Soccer Official Website | USWNT & USMNT visualize those empty bottles. That's what helped get us through the crunch.

My new gig offers a much better balance and more time to play. Hence, why I'm here.

Cheers!
Gary

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Dry Fly is s good local to Spokane. Also love pendelton, knob creek. Angels envy is what got us started on the whiskey kick 6 years ago.
Dry Fly will be on the list next time I get up that way. I love the idea of tasting something local while exploring. Viva Cascadia!

Cheers!
Gary

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Total newbie about Whiskey. I worked with a guy that I think the only reason he camped was because he and his wife loved sitting around a campfire with a cigar and whiskey. The way he would talk about it, I felt like I was missing out on something.

My whisky buying has been for cooking so I would buy by price, ie cheap. A few time I would take a sip but thought it didn’t do anything for me. I’m not a big drinker, don’t care for beer, tend to like sweeter cocktails. What would you suggest to try? And how? Ice? No ice? Splash of water?

Todd
We once had a great conversation with a sommelier who said: "If you like it, you like it." So it's Pinot Noir with everything now. LOL

I would recommend a tasting room. We have one in Portland called the Multnomah Whiskey Library (Multnomah Whiskey Library – Portland, Oregon). I prefer mine neat (without ice).

Cheers!
Gary

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
Good to see some recommendations....I'm always leery of trying something new on my own. Have had some single malts that just were not my thing so prefer to have something others have recommended.

I am more of a whiskey/bourbon guy anyway so stick more to them. I did get some Rye for my last fishing trip that was well received. But like wine theres so many choices!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I loved the people at that gig. The work life balance not so much. 80+ hour weeks for over six months meant no time to play. But hey, next time you visit U.S. Soccer Official Website | USWNT & USMNT visualize those empty bottles. That's what helped get us through the crunch.

My new gig offers a much better balance and more time to play. Hence, why I'm here.

Cheers!
Gary
nice!

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
For a Scotsman you need more recommendations without the "e".

Campbell Town has some great whiskies. Kilkerran 8 yr cask strength is a winner you should be able to find. Awesome, but unobtanium, is Longrow Red port finish (note they use a different finish each year--port was several years back and is next to impossible to get).
Very cool. I never actually made it down to Campbeltown. I prefer Scotch and know less about bourbon and American whiskeys so this thread has been great. It also feels appropriate to imbibe frontier whiskey out on the trail.

Also... avoid duty free store when traveling.

Cheers!
Gary

Attachments

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
If I'm drinking to drink, I prefer Maker's Mark. Decent neat, or mixed. Good value.

If I am just having a nip or two to enjoy, Blanton's with three drops of water, or, if its Winter-time, Lagavulin 16.
Nice. Whisky was created to keep us warm.

Cheers!
Gary

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Total newbie about Whiskey. I worked with a guy that I think the only reason he camped was because he and his wife loved sitting around a campfire with a cigar and whiskey. The way he would talk about it, I felt like I was missing out on something.

My whisky buying has been for cooking so I would buy by price, ie cheap. A few time I would take a sip but thought it didn’t do anything for me. I’m not a big drinker, don’t care for beer, tend to like sweeter cocktails. What would you suggest to try? And how? Ice? No ice? Splash of water?

Todd
My advice is by something good and drink it. I never was a liquor person. I much prefer beer. However a friend gave me a bottle of pretty good scotch for my wedding.

I sipped on it for a few months and realized I liked it. Then I started trying new things. A tasting room is a good idea. Whiskey bars are becoming more common.

I've recently taken a fancy to rye. The Bulliet has been my favorite so far.

Something else to keep in mind it's that after opening, most liquors will mellow. I like the Flor de Cana 7yr rum but don't drink much of it till the bottle has been open at least a month. Open it and drink a pour then just keep opening the bottle every couple days. Give it a light shake too. Really changes the flavor and smooths it out.

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
My advice is by something good and drink it. I never was a liquor person. I much prefer beer. However a friend gave me a bottle of pretty good scotch for my wedding.

I sipped on it for a few months and realized I liked it. Then I started trying new things. A tasting room is a good idea. Whiskey bars are becoming more common.

I've recently taken a fancy to rye. The Bulliet has been my favorite so far.

Something else to keep in mind it's that after opening, most liquors will mellow. I like the Flor de Cana 7yr rum but don't drink much of it till the bottle has been open at least a month. Open it and drink a pour then just keep opening the bottle every couple days. Give it a light shake too. Really changes the flavor and smooths it out.
I remember being shown the difference in a single malted by itself and with a drop or two of water. Crazy how that little bit of water changes the flavor. That being said I'm a novice with scotch and prefer bourbons as I mentioned previously. :) but it's fun trying different things!

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I enjoy my bourbon. Right now I'd say my favorite is definitely the Woodford Reserve. A local liquor store also recommended I try the Glenalough Irish Whisky and I find it very good (and quite inexpensive).
Forty Creek cream liquor is mandatory for camping , and a bottle lives in the camper full time. Without question the single best cream liquor I've ever tried. Be warned, once you give it a shot you will never, ever drink that Baileys type garbage again.

Attachments