Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I’ve found myself slowly drifting to rye these days but I still try to keep up with the standards. New Riff is a pretty solid newer label and I love that Sycamore Whiskey has started making a traditional Apple Jack again. The best bourbon for the money right now is Henry McKenna which is a single barrel release and is still bottled in bond. Absolutely fantastic for 1/4 the price of Whistle Pig or Rip Van Winkle.

That being said, Woodford Reserve is still my go-to drink. Something about that limestone water just makes it better. Honorable mentions to Blanton’s and Basil Hayden’s.

(I tried to post some links for where to find some of these but the forum settings won’t allow those links.)

3C4DDE57-6BCC-4357-8153-AD92E94E19F0.jpeg

Not bourbon, but still Whisk(e)y related, I found a bottle of Jack Daniels Barrel Proof single barrel earlier today when I was driving through Kentucky. Looking forward to giving this one a try.

A37BE1D0-999C-4FC5-A30B-2CFD5074E1B2.jpeg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: AutomaticBluez

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Bulliet Rye, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace are favorites.

I also like Tito's Vodka, 1800 Silver Tequila, Flor De Cana 7 Year rum, Appleton Estates rum.

BUT, a favoite camp drink that can be quite dangerous is Segram's Orange Gin and Orange Crush mixed.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Not much of a Rye guy, but I do like me some Bourbon camping or otherwise.
Bulliett, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses Small Batch, and Wild Turkey 101 Never disappoints.

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tigard, Washington County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Bulliet Rye, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace are favorites.

I also like Tito's Vodka, 1800 Silver Tequila, Flor De Cana 7 Year rum, Appleton Estates rum.

BUT, a favoite camp drink that can be quite dangerous is Segram's Orange Gin and Orange Crush mixed.
Ha! I guess Overlanding offers the ability to bring more on the trip. Cocktails and mixers means living the high life.

I'll personally stay away from Tequila though.

Cheers!
Gary

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Hehe. It's one of the perks of working at a creative agency.

Gary
I found a photo of the empties from my previous gig. Whiskey Wednesday's meant a new bottle to try each week. Although it got harder and harder to bring in something new when it was your turn to share!

IMG_3638.jpeg

Cheers!
Gary

Reactions: J.W.

Viking Justice

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Justice
Member #

Bulliet is my "go to" bourbon of choice. But, if you like something a bit more sweet and super smooth, try Black Eagle Honey. It's made with real honey, not artificial flavorings. Fell in love with it after a tasting my wife took me to. It's not expensive either.

AutomaticBluez

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Gary
Last Name
Foubister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUT
Bulliet is my "go to" bourbon of choice. But, if you like something a bit more sweet and super smooth, try Black Eagle Honey. It's made with real honey, not artificial flavorings. Fell in love with it after a tasting my wife took me to. It's not expensive either.
Nice! A friend of ours made a Vanilla Honey Whiskey that was outstanding so I'll have to check out that Black Eagle.

IMG_0984.jpeg

Cheers!
Gary

Reactions: Viking Justice

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Total newbie about Whiskey. I worked with a guy that I think the only reason he camped was because he and his wife loved sitting around a campfire with a cigar and whiskey. The way he would talk about it, I felt like I was missing out on something.

My whisky buying has been for cooking so I would buy by price, ie cheap. A few time I would take a sip but thought it didn’t do anything for me. I’m not a big drinker, don’t care for beer, tend to like sweeter cocktails. What would you suggest to try? And how? Ice? No ice? Splash of water?

Todd