Camping on budget

• HTML tutorial

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

I like to waterproof all cloth material. It may not sound like money saving up front but preventing water damage to things inside the tent or under an awning could potentially save thousands. I have used the 303 products and currently use star brite with ptfe. I spray my tents, awnings, chairs, jackets, pants and hats. May seem like a lot but really it's not.

Sent from my SM-N900V using OB Talk mobile app

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Not exactly DIY, but I'm a big fan of military surplus stores for a variety of gear. It's usually not lightweight or high-tech, but it's tried and tested.

Also, look for second-hand sporting goods stores and check Craigslist. I've found that lots of people buy high-end gear only to realize they don't actually need it/use it. So, you can find some good stuff that's lightly used for big discounts.

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Free places to camp try FreeCampsites.net . Use tyvek, velcro, and carpet tape to make shelters. Bivvy, tent, ect. 2nd hand gear is great. We used Yoga/gym mats to sleep on for a long time. Most places will have a fire pit. If they don't, a hardware store will have a grill grate that's all you need. I posted this elsewhere but there is a post on ADVPulse; 8 camping essentials under 10lbs under $300. It's what I take on motorcycle trips. It also has where to get it!!

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Free places to camp try FreeCampsites.net . Use tyvek, velcro, and carpet tape to make shelters. Bivvy, tent, ect. 2nd hand gear is great. We used Yoga/gym mats to sleep on for a long time. Most places will have a fire pit. If they don't, a hardware store will have a grill grate that's all you need. I posted this elsewhere but there is a post on ADVPulse; 8 camping essentials under 10lbs under $300. It's what I take on motorcycle trips. It also has where to get it!!
Thats a great suggestion. I tend to find DIY for camping can be hard to do but very possible. You just need to figure out a list of gear that you would need and then see what you can make yourself. If you live in a warm climate and are willing to sleep on the ground (not with a tent) then you dont need much and can customize from there.

If your looking to go more budget based then definitely look into some ultralight setups and tweak from there. The specialized ultralight items can get very expensive but make the setup your own. Get a small, lightweight backpack from a thift store. Get a tarp and sleeping pad. Figure some food that will last and can be made easily (ramen, etc). Its all doable depending on what your willing to sacrafice on the trip.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

If you dont have dogs, and are camping around trees, sleep in a hammock with a good bag and a tarp strung over / around you. You will be surprisingly warm up off the ground, and a hammock and camping tarp are smaller and usually lighter than most cheaper one-man tents.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I look for things on sale or second hand. Are you solo camping? There are lots of videos and instructions that show how to setup a tarp as a tent and I also have a hammock setup. There's also always sleeping in your car.

I never had any complaints about my $30 Igloo cooler from Walmart for the ten years we had it before it was stolen last year. Food can be simple and cheap as well, just take sandwich type things with you. We did that for years.

Learn to cook on the camp fire with cast iron. You can get decent second hand stuff from thrift stores that you won't mind losing.

There's also an entire genre of camping involving little more than a surplus military wool blanket.

Most improved camp sites have picnic tables so you don't HAVE to have camp furniture either.

I built one of the little alcohol stoves and it worked ok. Would be a neat thing to have backpacking but if you ate car camping, trade weight for performance. I have three different size Coleman stoves and didn't pay over $30 for any of them. In fact, I gave $15 for the larger "Powerhouse" model that I found recently and only needed blown out with an air hose!

When it comes to "budget", you've got to decide what you want to do and what you can live without.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I went through my kitchen and started gathering old kitchen stuff to build my camp kitchen. That helped to save a lot of money on gear. The sleeping arrangements are that we use the Jeep so we gathered old bedding to use when camping so we did not have to buy much there either. Some of our purchased gear came from Walmart or even Goodwill. My recovery gear box was only $2 at Goodwill and is very heavy duty. I would imagine that you could find gear in the same way we did to save some cash. End of season sales at Walmart would save you some cash as well if you wanted to hold off until things go on sale.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I was at my local LIDL the other week and they had a "Beach tent" for £13.99 which was a nice bargin - keep you in the shade or if your daring put a fly net on and use it over night as a quick pop up

Also have some other shades which ive had for years (Basically 2 poles, some guy and a sheet)

That would work out well, find a tree - grab a line between vehicle (or another tree) and then put a tarp over the top, not much for those bits if you are wanting to be adventurous in the summer time :wink:

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Depends more on your area, but I found a complete REI Half Dome 2 person tent at the Goodwill for $2.99! Ground sheet, rainfly, stakes and even the little loft were all in the bag.
DUDE! That is a WICKED good deal. I am going to have to start hitting my local Goodwill stores again looking for gear.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I also got a camp chair at the same time for $1.99 that tuned out to be one of my favorite chairs. The end of the arm rest was worn through a little from the pole behind it, so I just used a large safety pin and it worked great for many years.

Reactions: Veggie Man

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I also got a camp chair at the same time for $1.99 that tuned out to be one of my favorite chairs. The end of the arm rest was worn through a little from the pole behind it, so I just used a large safety pin and it worked great for many years.
I like your style bro.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Depends more on your area, but I found a complete REI Half Dome 2 person tent at the Goodwill for $2.99! Ground sheet, rainfly, stakes and even the little loft were all in the bag.
I second the Thrift Store recommendation as well. I've scored everything from barely used camping gear to rare collectibles. And whatever we decide that we don't need or want... eventually ends up for sale on Ebay or local classifieds.