Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

I have no problem with used equipment if in good shape.

Tent - came from my sister and her husband when they upgraded. They knew I wanted a bigger tent as the family grew, and they got a new cabela's card and upgraded. I had to make 2 small repairs (leather needle and dental floss) and it has worked well.

Chairs - people move, upgrade, etc. I think only one of my camp chairs I bought, and that was on sale about 20 years ago.

I also build my own stuff if I can.
Chuck box was a sheet of plywood, 6 hinges, 2 clasps and a couple cans of paint/sealer. It's to be used, not be furniture. Built my own tool rack mounts and water/jerry can carriers for the bed of the truck as well. It ain't professionally welded and powdercoated all pretty, but I probably have 30 bucks and a handful of evenings invested.

Sales/Dollar stores
I keep my eyes open on amazon/ebay for really good deals if I am shopping for something, and am willing to wait a long time till i get the deal I want. Pots/pans outside of cast iron and cooking utensils came from dollar general (discount/dollar store). If they get dented/broken, I don't care and they are cheap to replace. Cast Iron was bought on sale (bed bath beyond 20% off coupons are great too)

I know people have great fortune at thrift stores, I've never been as fortunate. I think the internet has ruined a lot of garage/estate sales because too many people think their old stuff is ebay gold.... However good deals can still be found if you take your time. Patience is the key to saving money in my book....

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Facebook also has a buy/sell/trade page as well as groups. I just found a hi lift jack for $30. A quick coat of black paint and it'll be good as new.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Some places that I've had good luck:
Wilderness Exchange down in Denver ( www.wildernessx.com/ ) I just got the heads up that they are holding a gear swap meet on Sat May 20th 2017.

Your local Freecycle group ( www.freecycle.org ) Best to keep a close eye out at the beginning and end of season as folks upgrade.

Used Sporting Equip stores ( www.playitagainsports.com & 2ndtimesports.com ) these tend to be more team sports and fitness related but in Colorado they can also pick up a bunch of Camping gear.

Been years since I was involved with the Boy Scouts try your local boyscout store for DIY Ideas. They have plans for various chuck boxes, chairs, shade structures, hammocks etc...

Archives of Popular Mechanics from the 40's -60's have lots of DIY Camping plans including plans for a tear drop trailer IIRC.

Boort