mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I've used Free campsites and IOverlander with success. I like how one can filter out places in IOverland to eliminate rest-stops etc. Since these apps rely on users adding new places and rating existing places it is up to us to keep these apps updated and accurate.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Not all of us need the same type of space to park and sleep. Site in the mtns with a clear creek running by is the best, but when you need to go quickly from point A to B, there might not be such a spot and a Bass Pro Shop or a Walmart is most enjoyable given the circumstances.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Not all of us need the same type of space to park and sleep. Site in the mtns with a clear creek running by is the best, but when you need to go quickly from point A to B, there might not be such a spot and a Bass Pro Shop or a Walmart is most enjoyable given the circumstances.
Exactly...any port in a storm!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I've used Free campsites and IOverlander with success. I like how one can filter out places in IOverland to eliminate rest-stops etc. Since these apps rely on users adding new places and rating existing places it is up to us to keep these apps updated and accurate.
Just now realizing you are in El Paso Tx. Are you in the Army there ? I was born there and moved away in late 1996. I'm just up the road from you, so if you come my way let me know and maybe we can ride a trail or two up here in what I call God's country.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I see a lot of Over landers and permanent Bob Well's tribe people here at Walmart all the time. We have a lot of BLM land here in Mimbres Valley NM if any of you come this way. I haven't found even a fraction of the trails to venture yet, but I'm working on it. Come my way we'll do it together.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
I gotta get to NM..........again :-)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sounds like a cool app to utilize … I'll have my kids figure out first they are electronically smarter than I am.
Ditto, double ditto !
There's also this database.

Thank you for the info.. I'm not familiar with what equipment you all are using to find these app's. Can you clue me in some. I have a good truckers GPS to find things as long as I know something about the location but that's it. I don't have a smart phone, never wanted something smarter than me. I haven't figured out yet how all you good people get internet yet. Is there anything that I can buy that is low cost and usable for a Dumbo ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I gotta get to NM..........again :-)
Bring your LRD and I'll take mine, we'll check out a few hills and dales you might like.
I use them separately but together. :)
So if I’m out of service range iOverlander won’t display a map, however it will still give me a blue dot for my location and campsites nearby. The info is already preloaded for description and coordinates independent of service. Then I use Gaia to map out the coordinates to locate the site. If you have service iOverlander can handle all that for you.

No can’t complain, I used it to find these spots as well.

The ocean is just over the berm
View attachment 80875View attachment 80876
Boy, does that forest remind me of my youth !! You bet it does. Lived near Lake Tahoe in 1946 and 47. The forest were awesome then. I use to climb the mountains and look down into the valleys and see hundreds of deer grazing the pastures below me. I lived only a short walk from a tributary river to the Sacramento river. The water was pure and clean and running quickly through the high rocky gorge and calm water deep pools where we swam all day at times. I have to get back there one day if I can find it. I may not like it anymore because of population growth and deforestation that took place in the 70's.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
iPhone works for this dumbo :-)
It's a GPS and phone in one, plus holds lots of applications, which are toys to get you what you want.

It will involve learning something new, BUT it is NOT learning technical computer stuff AT ALL, that is a misconception. It is simply pushing buttons, just as with a typewriter, that do different things, just like pushing A to get an A typed on a piece of paper.

You can use a typewriter, right? You push "A" and an A appears in type, right? It's the same with a smart phone, you press Home to unlock, and it unlocks. Then you push what you want: Camera, Messages, Gmail, Google, etc., forever :-)

It does take time to learn, but it is SO worth it, handy as all hell. It will get you places, just like a GPS, BUT it will route you the best and shortest way, AROUND accidents, etc.
And find the best restaurants, museums, whatever you want.

Dive in the pool and be prepared to ASK for help, from everyone, even strangers, it WILL work.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I hear you but this app was created for people who are international travelers. So sometimes just finding a safe place to sleep is crucial.
Small town Wal-marts are pretty good places to overnight, not anything like the big city's. A lot of us don't travel the interstate either. I'm 60 miles from an interstate but close to a 2 lane highway that crosses the whole state almost in Limbo and traveled lightly. Wal-marts are about 100 miles apart here in NM., but BLM free sites are abundant everywhere in NM so Wal- mart is really a last choice. I like how if I get tired all I have to do is turn off on almost any dirt side road and park for whatever time I need. Of course I am armed and ready for anything anytime I am boondocking. Looters and bad guys beware !

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Small town Wal-marts are pretty good places to overnight, not anything like the big city's. A lot of us don't travel the interstate either. I'm 60 miles from an interstate but close to a 2 lane highway that crosses the whole state almost in Limbo and traveled lightly. Wal-marts are about 100 miles apart here in NM., but BLM free sites are abundant everywhere in NM so Wal- mart is really a last choice. I like how if I get tired all I have to do is turn off on almost any dirt side road and park for whatever time I need. Of course I am armed and ready for anything anytime I am boondocking. Looters and bad guys beware !
New Mexico is pretty good...we went to Calsbad Caverns last year and boondocked about 15 miles from there....not a soul around for many miles and the sky at night was incredible. Definitely going back and heading southwest of Truth or Consequences, drove thru there and saw some great free camp sites.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
iPhone works for this dumbo :-)
It's a GPS and phone in one, plus holds lots of applications, which are toys to get you what you want.

It will involve learning something new, BUT it is NOT learning technical computer stuff AT ALL, that is a misconception. It is simply pushing buttons, just as with a typewriter, that do different things, just like pushing A to get an A typed on a piece of paper.

You can use a typewriter, right? You push "A" and an A appears in type, right? It's the same with a smart phone, you press Home to unlock, and it unlocks. Then you push what you want: Camera, Messages, Gmail, Google, etc., forever :-)

It does take time to learn, but it is SO worth it, handy as all hell. It will get you places, just like a GPS, BUT it will route you the best and shortest way, AROUND accidents, etc.
And find the best restaurants, museums, whatever you want.

Dive in the pool and be prepared to ASK for help, from everyone, even strangers, it WILL work.
Thanks, every thing you said I understand. I don't own an iPhone, just a small simple Verizon phone that wont even let me hear my voice messages. It's pretty stupid and combined with me being Dumb, it's hardly usable except to use as a telephone. Between the walkie talkie and my land line tel. service combined with my internet I already pay out over $200 a month. I cant give up my land line because it is my Fax as well and I need it. How much will it cost to add a smart phone service ?? I'm told the phone alone is $6 or $7 hundred dollars. I'll probably leave the technical locating devices to you smarter guys and just use BLM maps or accidental discoveries to find my way. Much Obliged for your info, it just made me know how dumb I really am.

Reactions: grubworm

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
New Mexico is pretty good...we went to Calsbad Caverns last year and boondocked about 15 miles from there....not a soul around for many miles and the sky at night was incredible. Definitely going back and heading southwest of Truth or Consequences, drove thru there and saw some great free camp sites.
If you go that way again, go towards El Paso and stop at the camp grounds at Guadeloupe state park. Up around Alamogordo and Northward are many beautiful spots, then west over to Socorro NM, then west again to Datil and into the Lincoln National forest in any direction will blow your mind. It's hard to give a good route because if you go one way you'll miss this site, or if you go the other way you will miss something else. It's a state that you could wander around for a month and still want to see more. My mom was born in Shreveport La. and moved to Tx. when see was 6-7. I've only been through La. but I found it to be a very interesting state but I don't think I could live with the humidity there or any of the gulf coast states. I'm a lizard and gotta have the dryer sunnier states.

Reactions: grubworm

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Just now realizing you are in El Paso Tx. Are you in the Army there ? I was born there and moved away in late 1996. I'm just up the road from you, so if you come my way let me know and maybe we can ride a trail or two up here in what I call God's country.
Cool. I am not in the Military. I'm a retired Civil servant.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
There's also this database.
We also use this site. There is an inactive map and you can search by type of park, state, city or zip code. You can also adjust the price range from free and up.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Again, thanks guys, I am collecting a list of all these apps to investigate and possibly use, but I now have some 25 recommended apps! A lot of sorting to do!CAMPER, OCT 24, 2019.JPG

BTW, our new camper/Tacoma build is slowly coming along, it is designed to be VERY light, NOT over the GVW of the Tacoma, likely a first. Titanium tire irons for lightness, 2020 TRD Pro wheels save 4.88 pounds each, are examples of lightness, but mostly new to the industry cabin material and construction process, we are very excited to weigh it when finished. Maybe March, hoping hoping :-)
Pic is of a VERY preliminary, pre-production unit.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Again, thanks guys, I am collecting a list of all these apps to investigate and possibly use, but I now have some 25 recommended apps! A lot of sorting to do!View attachment 129444

BTW, our new camper/Tacoma build is slowly coming along, it is designed to be VERY light, NOT over the GVW of the Tacoma, likely a first. Titanium tire irons for lightness, 2020 TRD Pro wheels save 4.88 pounds each, are examples of lightness, but mostly new to the industry cabin material and construction process, we are very excited to weigh it when finished. Maybe March, hoping hoping :-)
Pic is of a VERY preliminary, pre-production unit.
Are you posting on the correct thread ? I don't see anything pertaining to your post here, but it looks like you are wanting to market a build product. Please explain !

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Nope, not marketing a build product as in selling it, but have considered starting kinda of a different thread, based on my build experience listing everything I am including in my camper/Tacoma build that is unconventional or very light, because that is my focus. So for instance I am not using MaxTrax and in lieu of conventional snatch blocks I am including recovery rings, I am using narrower tires, etc.
This is still coming together in every respect, so it is too early to start a separate thread.
One aspect of my build is collecting apps via this subject that may work. Also waiting for Michael's app to come together.

I also need to know what size tablet is best for all these apps, maps, etc. All advice appreciated.