Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
iOverlander is a new app for finding free campsites, worldwide, see
ioverlander.com
It’s all based on user input content and allows you to pull up places within about 100km of where you are.

If you look it up you will see there is not much posted about free camping in the US, YET, but with self help that problem will be resolved, again it is a new app!

SO, join up and add the places you know of that offer free camping.

And FIND places where you can camp for free!

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
nickburt, thanks for the clarification. What do you travel in, 4wheel wise, as in your picture?

We are looking for something else, we now have a Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser. Earthcruiser and Maltec camper are interesting for us, so far.

In my youth, I bought a "Cotswald" from my grandparents, they picked it up in the UK, that was a long time ago! I can barely find any pics of them using Google Images.
SO underpowered! But a joy nonetheless.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

nickburt, thanks for the clarification. What do you travel in, 4wheel wise, as in your picture?

We are looking for something else, we now have a Toyota FJ60 Land Cruiser. Earthcruiser and Maltec camper are interesting for us, so far.

In my youth, I bought a "Cotswald" from my grandparents, they picked it up in the UK, that was a long time ago! I can barely find any pics of them using Google Images.
SO underpowered! But a joy nonetheless.
We travel in either the Landrover Defender 130 or Mitsubishi L200.

It makes me groan to see Lowes and Walmart parking lots listed in it. I don't judge anyone for staying where they do. I myself have napped as needed along the road. It just lends an air of dubious quality to the app's entries.
Some friends of ours are touring the states and quite often use Walmart for Boondocking, so info about where it's available is of use to anyone who makes use of space available for free "camping".

TrippinStfflr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Rock Island, TN, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Stiffler
It makes me groan to see Lowes and Walmart parking lots listed in it. I don't judge anyone for staying where they do. I myself have napped as needed along the road. It just lends an air of dubious quality to the app's entries.
What about other boondocking places that might still be inside city limits? You think we should add those kinds of places to this app? I full time RV and have stayed at some pretty nice free spots. Power,water and sewer. Some are parking lot style but some are really nice wooded parks.
The reason I ask is cause theres a lot of free camping apps that include everything from Crackerbarrel parking lots to sites you can only get to with GPS coordinates. Maybe we need an app thats more specialized towards primitive/offroad places?

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Hey TrippinStfflr, not sure about you but I will camp anywhere I can. I've tented in on and off ramps, behind gas stations, etc. IMO being able to find places to camp in cities is VERY valuable.
I say go for it, add all the places you know about, that is what makes this app great, EVERYONE'S contributions are needed, otherwise it is useless.

I hope over time one of these apps will emerge as THE app to have as it will be heads and shoulders above the rest. I hope so, anyway :-)

Reactions: wndywandrs

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Different apps emerge all the time as THE app. The app that might be the bomb for you, though, might suck for someone else because their needs are quite different, even in the same endeavor like camping. It would entirely suck if there ended up being one camping app that was considered better than every other app out there, as then everyone would be doing the same thing in the same places with probably the same gear and the same vehicle. That's happening too much already, isn't it?

As for Walmarts and Lowes and convenient parking lot places being on an overlander app, hey, I can see why they might be listed. A lot of folk who travel long distances to rendezvous with camping friends, or to get to a meet or other gathering, need to drive all day then get fuel, minor supplies and ice, a decent night's rest, and then get going quick again the next morning. Parking lots that allow overnight and that are also 24hr can be perfect for that. There's no shame in that. A good traveler always avails themselves of good, logical opportunities when traveling.

Doesn't mean you have to be a Walmart shopper. That's when things get dubious - ha!

I've used big box store parking lots for years when on long road trips across the country and driving mainly interstates and highways before I get to the region I'm going to explore. I've never had a bit of problem with them, and was grateful for being able to find the location in an app. Hell of a lot easier than trying to find and driving way out to a campground, wilderness area, or national forest when you're driving through some urban area and all you want is sleep for several hours and to use a bathroom.

Good truck stops are often even better and you can grab a great shower. Truck stops have vastly improved in the last ten-fifteen years in their attitude and catering to road-weary travelers.

I've used iOverlander on and off, used the Ultimate Campgrounds apps, AllStays apps, USFS and BLM Campgrounds app, US Forest Services National Forest Explorer app, and All Trails and Peak Finder, etc. They all have their purposes. As long as there are platforms for app developers, there will be a ton of new apps to choose from for everything from Aardvark games to Zappos locations. Some will be great for some people, some will fall by the way.

Road

Last edited:

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Hey Road, thanks for the list of apps in your last paragraph! How do you remember and recall all of them?

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey Road, thanks for the list of apps in your last paragraph! How do you remember and recall all of them?
Seriously? Well, they're right there on my phone. I group my apps by type, so most of those mentioned above are in a group called Camping, some are in a group called Outdoors. I have another group for Local (like the apps Around Me, Gas Buddy, Wifi, Open Signal, Trip Advisor, Yelp, ParkIt, etc).

Those apps that get used get to stay. The apps that dont get used or are too cumbersome or limited to use, get dumped.

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
An app that seems to be directed towards the Land Rover community in Europe is "LR Freecamp". I'm sure if your travelling by yourself or in a very small group, you'll be successful with the users and locations found in the app.

Todd.

KevinsOffroad.com

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

I've had GREAT success using just two apps for finding camp for the night:

1) "Public Lands" shows you where private land stops and public lands begin, including BLM, Forest Service, County Lands, etc...and I use that about 99% of the time to find off-grid spots, which is my preference. I think it costs $3 or so.

2) "Camp & RV" by Allstays also shows all the Walmarts, Lowes, warnings/notes about each location and so on...including identifying places to fill your LP, dump your tanks, low overpasses, etc...and has detailed info when you 'tap' a location on the map, including addresses, phone numbers, GPS locations, how the campground is set up with power and such, how expensive it is, amenities, and so on...I think it cost me $8 or s0?

I've used the iOverlander app too...but as previously mentioned, it's severely lacking unless users add data. And, that said, it's come a LONG way in the last two or so years since I first downloaded it...there's WAY more info on there now!

This MAY be paranoia kicking in... but I wonder how long these spots will be available if there's people camping in them all the time, assuming they are NOT on public lands. Neighbors complaining to the city, etc...which is why I mostly use the Public Lands app...and find all the disbursed camping I need, far away from other humans, lol.

Your mileage may vary...

Kevin- KevinsOffroad

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I've had GREAT success using just two apps for finding camp for the night:

1) "Public Lands" shows you where private land stops and public lands begin, including BLM, Forest Service, County Lands, etc...and I use that about 99% of the time to find off-grid spots, which is my preference. I think it costs $3 or so.

2) "Camp & RV" by Allstays also shows all the Walmarts, Lowes, warnings/notes about each location and so on...including identifying places to fill your LP, dump your tanks, low overpasses, etc...and has detailed info when you 'tap' a location on the map, including addresses, phone numbers, GPS locations, how the campground is set up with power and such, how expensive it is, amenities, and so on...I think it cost me $8 or s0?

I've used the iOverlander app too...but as previously mentioned, it's severely lacking unless users add data. And, that said, it's come a LONG way in the last two or so years since I first downloaded it...there's WAY more info on there now!

This MAY be paranoia kicking in... but I wonder how long these spots will be available if there's people camping in them all the time, assuming they are NOT on public lands. Neighbors complaining to the city, etc...which is why I mostly use the Public Lands app...and find all the disbursed camping I need, far away from other humans, lol.

Your mileage may vary...

Kevin- KevinsOffroad
Kevin, the "Public Lands" app intrigues me. I tried to read up on it a bit, but I'm curious. I live in the DC area, and am wondering how much that app would potentially highlight for this area? As far as space that's not private that you could just pull up and camp on? I'm new to the community and I get out every weekend exploring VA, MD, West VA, and the PA area, so I'm learning slowly. I find it a bit challenging to come across space that's legal to camp on, besides campgrounds.

Reactions: Schake

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I've used iOverlander on and off, used the Ultimate Campgrounds apps, AllStays apps, USFS and BLM Campgrounds app, US Forest Services National Forest Explorer app, and All Trails and Peak Finder
Looking up all of these apps right now. I have iOverlander and Allstays. But the rest... thanks Road!

P.S. As a full-time traveler I've spent many a night in a WalMart parking lot. But yes, shopping there can definitely be a bit shady.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

FitzRoy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I have been using iOverlander in Africa as far north as Ethiopia. It's a good resource combined with Tracks4Africa. Anyone know of an offline app like T4A with that level of overland tracks and waypoint detail for North America?

Aussie571

Local Expert, Australia NSW

Builder II

Hillvue NSW, Australia
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Altona
Member #

There is Wikicamps USA and Canada...I use the Australian version and its easy to use...both online and offline content and maps!