Camping Around Bend, OR in April

• HTML tutorial

CO_Justin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Olivehurst, CA
Member #

Hey everyone. The GF and and I are heading up to Deschutes National Forest region by Bend at the beginning of April. I have a bed built in the back of my Tacoma for a sleeping platform so I don't need a tent area, just an area to park the truck and sleep/make food with a Jetboil. Any suggestions?

OCTaconoob

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
If you follow China Hat Road out of town, it'll take you to some great trails and fantastic camping spots. Tons to explore out there as well.

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

There may still be a fair amount of snow, so keep that in mind. Go prepared with communication equip. just in case you get stuck out there. Spot or deLorme both have satellite trackers that can send texts and in worse case SOS.

The metolius river has some camping options that should be outta the snow,so you might try that. About 25 miles west of Bend.

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

I'm sure that on day 1 in the area you will head SW out Cascade Lakes Hwy. toward Mt Bachelor and countless other recreational locations. You will know pretty quickly how significant a factor snow will be. You can find camping immediately out of town or 30 miles up into the mountains. China Hat will be drier and easier but you need to spend a night or two up as close as you can be to Broken Top, the Sisters and Bachelor. It's so sweet out there.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Seconding the Cascade Lakes recommendation. The snow can definitely be an issue, but there are so many great spots out there that you shouldn't miss it.

The Metolius is a good option too- lots to explore around Camp Sherman, relatively close to the town of Sisters

Have fun, you'll be in beautiful country wherever you end up!

CO_Justin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Olivehurst, CA
Member #

China Hat Road.... Got it.

Man this has been super helpful thanks everyone! Since it is National Forest do I need camping/fire permits? Growing up in Colorado it was never an issue but I am not sure how Oregon is. Thanks again for all of the info.

OCTaconoob

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
No permits, just outright fire bans in the summer. I think this time of year you should be fine. I've never had an issue.

As for camping, you can camp up to 14 days in National Forests (in Oregon) without a permit.