Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Are you looking for established campgrounds, or boondocking?

For established campgrounds, my all time favorite spot is Los Coyotes indian reservation campground. It's not cheap, at $25 a night, but the views and location can't be beat. They also have the cleanest porto potties I've ever seen... Great place to camp, and if you like camping in groups, this place is great for that.

http://www.loscoyotestribe.com/generalinfocamp/

DaveL

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lowrance
Member #

I had no idea this place existed! Just went through Warner Springs going to Anza-Borrego last weekend. We much prefer non-campground camping, but this looks like a great rustic place to camp with our RV-type friends!

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I had no idea this place existed! Just went through Warner Springs going to Anza-Borrego last weekend. We much prefer non-campground camping, but this looks like a great rustic place to camp with our RV-type friends!
Its a hidden gem for sure. The lower campground has killer views of a huge open field and it's real quiet there. No assigned "campsites" per say... Pretty much just camp wherever you park. It definitely doesn't have that "campground" feel.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Thanks Raul.. This was pretty much just looking out from a spot one of our group was parked at. Breathtaking sunrise and sunset..

Reactions: DaveL

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
A few good campgrounds along HW 49 near Sierra City. Small town, one restaurant, one bar, one general store, that's about it. Hw 49 follows the beautiful North Yuba river and great for fishing and swimming. Try Wild Plum Campground: I haven't stayed there but drove by a few times both summer and winter and looked like a nice place to set up for day trips to explore the surrounding forest roads. We like to go up sierra buttes rd and go explore up that way.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Established Campgrounds:

Lake Bowman in Tahoe National Forest - 16 miles of rough dirt road to get there and not many established sites so it does not get to crowded

Yosemite Creek in Yosemite, the most remote campground within the park.

Humboldt Redwoods State Park

Boondocking

Brewer Lake - it is near Bald Mountain, about 5 miles off road driving to get there with the last .25 miles requiring some rock crawling.

Clavey River in Stanislaus National Forest - Near Hull Creek OHV

Big Meadow Area - Sequoia National Forest

Many more, but I did not want to go on forever.

kcsaysngo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orange County, CA
Member #

For established campgrounds, my all time favorite spot is Los Coyotes indian reservation campground. It's not cheap, at $25 a night, but the views and location can't be beat. They also have the cleanest porto potties I've ever seen... Great place to camp, and if you like camping in groups, this place is great for that.

whoa!! never heard of this place! looks sick!

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

Thanks! Actually looking for both. Ill have to check this one out!

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

A few good campgrounds along HW 49 near Sierra City. Small town, one restaurant, one bar, one general store, that's about it. Hw 49 follows the beautiful North Yuba river and great for fishing and swimming. Try Wild Plum Campground: I haven't stayed there but drove by a few times both summer and winter and looked like a nice place to set up for day trips to explore the surrounding forest roads. We like to go up sierra buttes rd and go explore up that way.
Nice. Thanks! Will def have to check it out

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

Established Campgrounds:

Lake Bowman in Tahoe National Forest - 16 miles of rough dirt road to get there and not many established sites so it does not get to crowded

Yosemite Creek in Yosemite, the most remote campground within the park.

Humboldt Redwoods State Park

Boondocking

Brewer Lake - it is near Bald Mountain, about 5 miles off road driving to get there with the last .25 miles requiring some rock crawling.

Clavey River in Stanislaus National Forest - Near Hull Creek OHV

Big Meadow Area - Sequoia National Forest

Many more, but I did not want to go on forever.
Great list! Been to Lake Bowman, nice area! I'll have to look into the others. Thanks!

Tom (Steel Industries)

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Vacaville, CA 95687, USA
Member #

IF your in Northern California near the Bay Area Samuel P. Taylor State Park is a nice little campground, good for RV or tent.

Attachments

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

IF your in Northern California near the Bay Area Samuel P. Taylor State Park is a nice little campground, good for RV or tent.
Samual P Taylor, I camped there several times when I was kid. I do not think I have been there in 35 years. I do have a funny story. My brother, a couple of friends and I caught a lizard. So we find this big jar and put the lizard in it. So we can take it back to camp to show our parents. One the friends was looking in the jar with his face over the opening and that dang lizard jumped up and latched on to my buddy's bottom lip. the other three of us were laughing so hard, because the lizard sort of hung there for a few seconds. Good times...

Reactions: macr88 and DaveL

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

If you like Wilderness camping with no services; may I recommend Inyo Craters/Mono Lake area. Some of the most fantastic views and the geology changes, mile after mile.
I really like this area, there are couple of spots near Bodie we like.

Reactions: Anders0nic

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
Reviving an old Thread, but heading up toward Bay Area in next couple days, from AZ. Looking at Samuel P Taylor, any recommendations what camp site to pick for Tacoma with a RTT. Unless someone has a better place to camp. Looking for somewhere green within about and hour of San Francisco that won't be too cold this time of year.