Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

We loved Gold Lakes 4x4 campgrounds. Located in the Sierra Buttes along Gold Lake Hwy off Hwy 49. You definitely need high clearance and obviously 4 wheel drive. Campsites are free and first come first serve. Camp spot was feet from the lake. View attachment 88897
This place looks amazing, do you have the coordinates for this place?

Reactions: bvanaski

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
It’s a great place. I’ll be there the end of August. There are also some good roads to explore in the area. And if you Mountain-bike, there is awesome riding around there too.

Reactions: 1derer and Dseck63

Dseck63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Daly City, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Seck
Member #

It’s a great place. I’ll be there the end of August. There are also some good roads to explore in the area. And if you Mountain-bike, there is awesome riding around there too.
Do they indicate how difficult the trails are? I seen a few videos on youtube and one was a somewhat tame road up to the campsites. Another was some Jeeps doing some pretty crazy rock crawling.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
You can get to campsites on any high clearance stock vehicle. The other roads I’ve been on I would say were easy/moderate. I only have a stock 1st gen Tacoma 4x4, and never had a problem. What you see in my profile pic is what I got.

91B/91S

I have fished that lKe but never camped. It sounds like my stock 4x4 chevy can make it to the campsites. I will have to check out the campgrounds now. Woohoo!

DannyLLama

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tustin, CA, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
H
Member #

Are you looking for established campgrounds, or boondocking?

For established campgrounds, my all time favorite spot is Los Coyotes indian reservation campground. It's not cheap, at $25 a night, but the views and location can't be beat. They also have the cleanest porto potties I've ever seen... Great place to camp, and if you like camping in groups, this place is great for that.

loscoyotestribe.com -&nbsploscoyotestribe Resources and Information.

Is it just me or is the link broken? I can't get to see any pics or description of the campground.

Established Campgrounds:

Lake Bowman in Tahoe National Forest - 16 miles of rough dirt road to get there and not many established sites so it does not get to crowded

Yosemite Creek in Yosemite, the most remote campground within the park.

Humboldt Redwoods State Park

Boondocking

Brewer Lake - it is near Bald Mountain, about 5 miles off road driving to get there with the last .25 miles requiring some rock crawling.

Clavey River in Stanislaus National Forest - Near Hull Creek OHV

Big Meadow Area - Sequoia National Forest

Many more, but I did not want to go on forever.

Any chance of coordinates to some of these spots?

looking to go somewhere labor day weekend and trying to find a nice spot up north.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I am planning a trip there Sat 8-24 will monitor GMRS:15 when in the truck if anyone else is around

C00lby

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA
First Name
C
Last Name
I
Member #

Hello All,

What are your favorite campgrounds to camp at California? Trying to check out some new spots.

Thanks,

Tom
Sourgrass trail has great undeveloped campsites. It is about 10 mils past Arnold on highway 4 to the trail head. It is a 4 wheel drive trail with some mild rock crawling involved. Its a in and back trail, about 2 miles long. There are spots to camp right next to the north fork of the Stanislaus river.

Camp.SG.jpg

Reactions: bvanaski