Campground or Boondock?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Which do you prefer?

• Boondock

Votes: 54 91.5%
  • Campground

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

John~SWNM

Rank IV

Advocate II

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

My wife is just like me when it comes to public campgrounds, ONLY as a last resort. We enjoy the outdoors to get away from people, not be around more of them, lol. Fortunately where we live & the areas we travel to most often there is no issue with backcountry/dispersed camping.

CSG

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

I far prefer dispersed camping and generally avoid areas where it's not available. My son and I are heading to the Oregon and Washington coast this week after not visiting for a good 10 years. I suspect we will have to pay for camping at least a couple times or more but we're also taking the camping van and not the big RV so little in the way of onboard amenities (read private toilet and shower). There are times and places where you have to suffer through paid camping but I go out to get away and mostly stick to Idaho and Utah. Lots of free dispersed camping.

Reactions: John~SWNM

Billiebob

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Nakusp, BC V0G 1R0, Canada
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Tobey
Member #

Boondock for me.... although "backwoods camping" is a bit more descriptive of where/how I camp. Remote enough that I can teach my kids to shoot without bothering anyone else.

View attachment 31352
This ^^ I agree "boondocking" was a term I used to like then I joined a few "boondocking" forums. The main topics were where can I park for a few months. What do I say when someone tells me to move on. Boondockers are homeless aquatters which has nothing to do with overlanding, camping or dispersed camping.

I was really surprised but I've run into those squatters often. Some of them live like pigs. Most of them break every rule & regulation which make overlanding a clean, green activity.

• Love

MidOH

Rank V

Traveler III

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham Callsign
YourHighness
I'll take either one this fall. You guys are lucky to have the choice.

I've turn each into the other, plenty of times. If the campground gets too noisy, I'll grab my tent and run off to the woods to find a spot. Tear down before anyone notices in the morning. And I've boon docked on one side of a lake, then paddled over to the campground on the other side to mooch off of the showerhouse.

• Haha
Reactions: Billiebob

Cpol

Rank VI

Influencer II

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
Member #

Electricity and water access you get at camp ground.. boondocking is when you don’t have those amenities and for the most part no neighbors.. it all depend on a choice and a necessity.

adventure_is_necessary

Rank VI

Influencer II

Emporia, KS
Member #

While I prefer boondocks/dispersed camping, we do not have the public land in Kansas for that. State, county, and city ran campgrounds are all we have. Thankfully my experience with them has not been too terrible. I still opt for the primitive sites based on cost and the chance that I won't have neighbors. Water usually isn't an issue and we do just fine without power since our electrical needs are low. Showers sometimes are a must but we've managed to figure things out.

natematos

Rank IV

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

It entirely depends on the intent. Going solo/cheap over the summer? Dispersed. Going in winter? No one is going to be there so may as well hit up a campground. We usually plan 1 or 2 big trips each year with friends traveling from 3 separate states to be there. With that many people coming, showing up at different times, and lack of cell service (despite my protests no one seems to want to get their ham license) it's often easier to book a large group site at a campground.

HB Maverick

Rank I

Traveler I

San Diego, California
First Name
David
Last Name
Partridge
Member #

I like both - the National Parks and State Parks have great sights and hiking trails. Electricity and showers are a nice addition on occasion as well. On our longer trips we will do both to mix it up. Thankfully there are lots of National Forests and BLM lands within driving distance of SoCal!