Which do you prefer?

• Boondock

Votes: 74 91.4%
  • Campground

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters
E

expeditionnorth

Out in the PNW aka Washington state we camped either on Weyerhaeuser or state land, never camped much in parks that I remember

back east finding primitive sites gets harder each year, they exist & I prefer them

state parks are easier for families, but feel awkward

Reactions: John~SWNM and Kelly

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

No one answer for me. Depends on the mood and who else might be along. Sometimes rolling in to a state park, pulling in to your numbered spot and pulling out a lawn chair is good. Other times, yea, I want to be out on an adventure. My wife and I like to hike and many of the state parks in MN have wonderful trails to explore.

TheMcCalls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Auburn, WA
Member #

Previously, campground. Now that I have a rig and live in Washington, boondocks ftw!

We live and work in the hustle and bustle of the city.

When it's time to get away, it's time to get away... just sayin'!

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Boondock all day (and night) long. I have so many stories of staying in "Designated" campgrounds and being the victim of parties, yelling, shouting, trash and noise. I am done with that!

No offense to any SoCal group here, as it is obvious the OB group is the responsible type, but many of the campers in the Fresno County designated spots are out of towners who don't understand camp etiquette. I can stand this anymore and in my older salty age, I am only afraid that I may lose my ever present cool on these groups anymore.

I prefer to boondock and plan accordingly. I have so many secret spots in the Sierras that I can always find a good hiding spot. Some are very secluded, some, I can still get Verizon Service if I need it. Even if I am taking my family and the tent trailer, I would rather Boondock and let the kids have free reign of an entire section of wilderness.

A word of advice for parents: If you do Boondock, buy yourself and all your kids whistles to wear around camp. Then, teach your kids to always listen for your whistle and return a call back if you are safe. I have taught my kids that I do a specific whistle call and then my 10yo daughter does 1 "toot" for herself and my 7yo son does 2 "toots" to signify he is OK. I even have extra whistles for other families kids who may be traveling with us. The kids think it is a fun toy, however, on a higher level, it is a safe way to signal danger and proximity of the young'ns. Also if you do this without your wife knowing, you will get brownie points for being a responsible Father/Parent! Trust me!

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I mostly boondock it, growing up we never used a camp group unless it was some big group get together. I prefer to boondock as much as possible, it's usually more peaceful. This year I have stayed in a bunch of camp grounds mosly out of necessity, and they have all been really nice but lacked they all lacked the same thing, the feeling of remoteness. Nothing better than camping with no one around for miles.

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

In England we cannot boondock as it is illegal unless you have the permission of the land owner. In Scotland it is allowed but then they do not have green lanes. They do have dirt tracks but you need the land owners permission to drive them. On my recent trip to Spain, we had to stay on camp sites as it is also illegal to wild camp in the Pyrenees.

My preference would be to wild camp, but options are very limited or I accept the risk of being caught.

Reactions: Road and ArmyofMike

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Lately, I've been mostly stuck w/ campgrounds, which isn't ideal, but I find it's much easier to get friends w/ kids to commit if they know basic facilities are available. That said, if it's entirely up to me, I prefer to be alone in the woods.

Reactions: expeditionnorth
E

expeditionnorth

In England we cannot boondock as it is illegal unless you have the permission of the land owner. In Scotland it is allowed but then they do not have green lanes. They do have dirt tracks but you need the land owners permission to drive them. On my recent trip to Spain, we had to stay on camp sites as it is also illegal to wild camp in the Pyrenees.

My preference would be to wild camp, but options are very limited or I accept the risk of being caught.
Come to the US, I'm sure a bunch of us would show you around the various states & the prime campsites too

look me up if you ever make it over

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

Come to the US, I'm sure a bunch of us would show you around the various states & the prime campsites too

look me up if you ever make it over
Cheers @expeditionnorth - I would love to take you up on the offer in the future. The US trails look awesome. Likewise, if you ever fancy coming to the UK then I would be happy to show you around, offer accommodation etc.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Boondocks or campsites? Yes to both! If I'm going to an area I am not familiar with, campsite and recon the area for future visits.

And sometimes I go to campsites that are indeed in the boondocks, too. This one place I go to I stayed at an unimproved campground for 14 days and saw only four others during the entire time. And they were in/out in a day or two. Ultimately I was alone for about 10, 11 days out of 14, which included a July 4 long weekend! Not too shabby.

Another campground I've been to requires maybe 8 miles driving along a dirt road. Get to the campground and it's blacktop road and pull-ins. No one goes there. So few that now the campground is almost completely taken over by trees and tall grasses. Enough room to toss up a tent, tables are still there, fire pits and pit toilets, but clearly no evidence of use in decades, really.

If you look you can find campsites that are rarely visited, so that's nice.

Though now I am completely able to be self contained, I know of enough campsites rarely visited that I can get to when I need to get away from people, maybe a half-dozen such places. And I know there are a lot more out there, too!:-)

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Boondocks or campsites? Yes to both! If I'm going to an area I am not familiar with, campsite and recon the area for future visits.

And sometimes I go to campsites that are indeed in the boondocks, too. This one place I go to I stayed at an unimproved campground for 14 days and saw only four others during the entire time. And they were in/out in a day or two. Ultimately I was alone for about 10, 11 days out of 14, which included a July 4 long weekend! Not too shabby.

Another campground I've been to requires maybe 8 miles driving along a dirt road. Get to the campground and it's blacktop road and pull-ins. No one goes there. So few that now the campground is almost completely taken over by trees and tall grasses. Enough room to toss up a tent, tables are still there, fire pits and pit toilets, but clearly no evidence of use in decades, really.

If you look you can find campsites that are rarely visited, so that's nice.

Though now I am completely able to be self contained, I know of enough campsites rarely visited that I can get to when I need to get away from people, maybe a half-dozen such places. And I know there are a lot more out there, too!:-)
Remote "developed" campgrounds are great, if you make the effort. I also like more accessible developed spots in the off season, since they tend to be empty as well. And, around here, a lot of places that charge during the summer are free the rest of the year, for those willing to brave the elements.

Reactions: Flipper

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I generally like to boondock, but there is one particular campground on an indian reservation that charges $25 per night to camp on, that I'll glady pay every time. The views can't be beat and the bathrooms are some of the cleanest ones I've ever seen.

Reactions: John~SWNM

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
Boondocks, hands down. Campgrounds just aren't away from it for me. I'd almost rather put my money towards a motel at that point, because at least the walls give me some distance from the noise and parties.

That said, if the group is large enough, I don't mind a campground for an overnight get-together. But I wouldn't call it "camping"

B Wild

Rank VII
Supporter
Investor

Creator I

Issaquah, Washington
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hall
Member #

I'll take what I can get to be outdoors, but if it were up to me I prefer boondocking, the more remote the better!

T4RZAKK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Worth Tx
Member #

Wish we had more areas to boondock in Texas. Everything here is private land or stateparks. To many parties and riff raff in the state parks.