Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

boondocking...but with water and electric hook up. :grinning:
the wife and i camped at cloudland state park in GA in the off season and had one entire section of the campground to ourselves with water, elec and a heated rest room without anyone else around. now THAT'S camping!

generally we take the camp trailer as a base camp at a state park and spend all day exploring and hiking and usually get back at dark, so hit the shower and go to sleep and it doesnt matter if folk are around us because we are either not there or asleep.

we'll gladly go off grid and boondock if there are good sights to see. doesnt make sense to go out in the middle of the desert and go without elec and running water if there isnt anything to see or do.
Amen, Grubworm - I pretty much do the same thing. It’s all about enjoying yourself, not adhering to someone’s made up “overlanding” rules.
I’m currently in North Sterling State Park in Colorado, laying just inside the door of my teardrop trailer with feet propped up and jammin’ to Vincent Neil Emerson and Colter Wall. The campground is only sparsely populated. Watched the sunset and stars are beginning to appear in the night sky while coyotes yip and howl in the distance. One of those perfect moments…

• Love
Reactions: grubworm

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

This ^^ I agree "boondocking" was a term I used to like then I joined a few "boondocking" forums. The main topics were where can I park for a few months. What do I say when someone tells me to move on. Boondockers are homeless aquatters which has nothing to do with overlanding, camping or dispersed camping.

I was really surprised but I've run into those squatters often. Some of them live like pigs. Most of them break every rule & regulation which make overlanding a clean, green activity.
Just reposting...... boondockers have nothing in common with overlanding...... boondockers are modern gypsys, libertarians, parasites......
the only boondockers deserving our support are those honestly homeless trying to survive.

Boondocking has nothing to do with overlnding.

Visit a few boondocking forums before commenting.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Here on the eastern seaboard there are very few places to “ boondock” ( a term that does not adequately describe what we do ) and they all require a free permit to do so. So, sometimes we do use state campsites, but are very particular with our choices. A couple of camps we enjoy are primitive. Camps with showers, flushing toilets, and electrical hookups attract a lot of riff raff no accounts that bring all of their entrapments with them. When we travel west we use, almost exclusively, primitive backcountry campsites, either “ boondocking”, or sites in Big Bend, or Canyonlands.

Reactions: Downs