Modesto
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Maston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZE
Thinking of the pros and cons of a camper shell...
PROs:
1) ready to go shelter for sleeping, rain
2) easily store and secure gear from theft

CONs:
1) limited to size of objects that can be placed on the pick up bed
2) roof top tent sits above roof line a produces significant drag when driving at high speeds.

I’m debating on getting rid of the shell. Has anyone found the shell useful for overlanding or not useful? Thoughts and ideas for rig setup?

Reactions: Eric Neal

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Have a metal one with rtt, it has side doors with a shelf on one side and access on the other. I can take it off and put it on by use my winch. Fiberglass is pretty not functional.

Reactions: Eric Neal

DocTaco

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Modesto
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Maston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZE
Excellent point. I had a fiberglass shell and not designed to do much else other than cover the bed. I think your set up sounds great!

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I think camper shells are very useful and were more useful for keeping my stuff dry and providing me with a safe place to sleep compared to hindering my ability to store large items in the bed of my truck.

If youre planning to mount a RTT go the extra mile off the start and get a 'Pro' version or contractor cap that is rated for more weight, built with tougher materials and some might even have built in roof rails which would save you from trying to get racks after the fact.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

We run a pair of 4Runners, but IMO a RTT and a camper shell fill a lot of the same roles. The only ways a shell would be worth it, again IMO, are if you need the interior cab space to haul people, or you have a short-cab truck with only a single bench.