Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Like the idea of a blackstone or skottle (really like the I Kamper version of the skottle that @Bagallthethings has, even more expensive then Tembos version, but has so many more options for use such as hanging over a fire on its tripod, and using the burner separatly its work the extra coin I think) but those are so big and heavy for my already overloaded Jeep that they would be relagated to the Ram or motorhome basecamp in my case.
I like the “Skottle” that @dansun86 brought along to the 2022 Memorial Day Trip. It was about 14” diameter and used a MSR Pocket Rocket type burner with an adapter to 1lb bottle or could even adapt up to a big bottle. Like the one you mentioned @OTH Overland , it also had many different ways to set it up, but it packed small… the plate is a lot thinner than other “plow disk” coolers I have seen so it can be tucked in under a seat, or between totes, etc.

Reactions: OTH Overland

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Here is what you need.

Thanks but I need a way to connect to my butane stove that has a magnetic attachment point for a butane cartridge. I believe I found a site years ago where a guy cut the end off of a butane canister and connected it to a propane hose. Since I'm in an actual dwelling now I might take the time to attempt something similar.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Once I got my 17" Blackstone, my Partner Steel stove has been relegated to boiling water.
I mean...if youre not into it...id be inclined to buy that partner steel off ya, lol. Since im here Ill add that for a very long time (when I was thru hiking) I used the jetboil and its hard to beat. As for real overloading around multiple countries its hard to beat the Coleman dual fuel for both simplicity and usefulness in other countries.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I mean...if youre not into it...id be inclined to buy that partner steel off ya, lol. Since im here Ill add that for a very long time (when I was thru hiking) I used the jetboil and its hard to beat. As for real overloading around multiple countries its hard to beat the Coleman dual fuel for both simplicity and usefulness in other countries.
Thanks for the offer, but I will keep it as I make rice sometimes too! I seriously though of permanently mounting my Blackstone on that shelf, but it is too tall for the pull out kitchen drawer to close.... I have to tell you that if I did it all over again, I would see if Turtleback would customize a rig to incorporate a flat top instead of a stove. It makes cooking so effortless. I could just have a portable side burner, or even an electric teapot (I have a 2000w inverter) for boiling water.

Last edited:
Reactions: kunstmilch

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
For my travel it’s weekend trips and I also do a fair amount of over night travel for work, where I’m sleeping in my car and working through the night. I have been bringing my small bbq and throwing it in the back of my xj. I like to utilize both my 8 and 10” cast iron for the meals I make and also my flat iron lodge cast iron I have. So the two burner is ideal for me as I will constantly be utilizing both burners. Hope that helps give a little more insight. That’s why I’ve landed on the Everest 2X and Ignite plus.
First off I hope your job pays you well for this.

Secondly, hard to beat a jetboil for quick meal prep if your tired and dont want to deal with anything its really a fantastic little system for your case scenario. however with the idea of full cast iron sets and weekends (much like my partners style of cooking, she's a trained French chef on top of a bunch of other things so hard to convince her to gobble freeze dried food) if you need two burners, you might consider the jetboil for boiling water and keeping it for what its best at and using a robust single burner for other cooking so you can do both at the same time if needed (the jetboil really is quick at boiling water) anyway thats my 2 cents...

Blackclover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Roe
For my travel it’s weekend trips and I also do a fair amount of over night travel for work, where I’m sleeping in my car and working through the night. I have been bringing my small bbq and throwing it in the back of my xj. I like to utilize both my 8 and 10” cast iron for the meals I make and also my flat iron lodge cast iron I have. So the two burner is ideal for me as I will constantly be utilizing both burners. Hope that helps give a little more insight. That’s why I’ve landed on the Everest 2X and Ignite plus.
First off I hope your job pays you well for this.

Secondly, hard to beat a jetboil for quick meal prep if your tired and dont want to deal with anything its really a fantastic little system for your case scenario. however with the idea of full cast iron sets and weekends (much like my partners style of cooking, she's a trained French chef on top of a bunch of other things so hard to convince her to gobble freeze dried food) if you need two burners, you might consider the jetboil for boiling water and keeping it for what its best at and using a robust single burner for other cooking so you can do both at the same time if needed (the jetboil really is quick at boiling water) anyway thats my 2 cents...
I do have a jet boil that I use for making my coffee when I’m out and about. And I love it, little guys amazing. I would love to get there dual burner system but that price tag is holding me back for sure. Someday when my job pays a bit more maybe haha

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I do have a jet boil that I use for making my coffee when I’m out and about. And I love it, little guys amazing. I would love to get there dual burner system but that price tag is holding me back for sure. Someday when my job pays a bit more maybe haha
write it off as a business expense.

Reactions: Blackclover

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
We have a Coleman 2 burner also. The only down side is that it doesn't work well with any windy situation, even with the side wind blockers up. It also seems to burn through quite a bit of fuel quickly. With the wind blockers up, larger pots and pans don't fit as easily together either.

We have since bought into the MSR lineup.
We use the Windburner and the Windburner Duo. The windburner is similar to a jet boil, except instead of a flame it has a burner that has incredible windblocking technology. They make different tiers of these and if you camp in any sever wind situations, they made one that you can use on Mt. Everest, seriously.

The Duo is nice in the fact that you can opt for packages. We opted for the 4.5liter stock pot and the 2.5liter pot. They all nestle inside each other with the burner and fuel. It makes for an amazing compact cook set. You can also get a frying pan that the stock pot nestles in to as well, which gives you 3 cooking surfaces.

The Duo also has a butterfly valve that allows for lower settings. It does not advertise as "simmer" but it's darn close when cooking stews or chili.

Another perk is the MSR fuel can be used in freezing temperatures. Several videos can be found on YouTube comparing this with JetBoil brand.

We believe in multiple ways to cook so sometimes we'll take both the MSR and the Coleman. 2 is 1 and 1 is non mindset.

Best wishes in your search. Seems like a lot of very insightful input on this thread.

Happy Trails!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
We have a Coleman 2 burner also. The only down side is that it doesn't work well with any windy situation, even with the side wind blockers up. It also seems to burn through quite a bit of fuel quickly. With the wind blockers up, larger pots and pans don't fit as easily together either.

We have since bought into the MSR lineup.
We use the Windburner and the Windburner Duo. The windburner is similar to a jet boil, except instead of a flame it has a burner that has incredible windblocking technology. They make different tiers of these and if you camp in any sever wind situations, they made one that you can use on Mt. Everest, seriously.

The Duo is nice in the fact that you can opt for packages. We opted for the 4.5liter stock pot and the 2.5liter pot. They all nestle inside each other with the burner and fuel. It makes for an amazing compact cook set. You can also get a frying pan that the stock pot nestles in to as well, which gives you 3 cooking surfaces.

The Duo also has a butterfly valve that allows for lower settings. It does not advertise as "simmer" but it's darn close when cooking stews or chili.

Another perk is the MSR fuel can be used in freezing temperatures. Several videos can be found on YouTube comparing this with JetBoil brand.

We believe in multiple ways to cook so sometimes we'll take both the MSR and the Coleman. 2 is 1 and 1 is non mindset.

Best wishes in your search. Seems like a lot of very insightful input on this thread.

Happy Trails!
I use the Windburner and love it… the only downside I find is that I can only use the windburner pot and skillet… solo is ok… but when the whole family comes along, I need bigger.

Reactions: BigBlueOx_TRD

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Stansport 3 burner here. Great BTU output and I've abused the crap out of it. I gave away my Coleman stoves. Not enough output for my needs. I commonly use two of the burners and can lay my griddle across two and have the 3rd for something else.

Reactions: Ubiety

Blackclover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Roe
Stansport 3 burner here. Great BTU output and I've abused the crap out of it. I gave away my Coleman stoves. Not enough output for my needs. I commonly use two of the burners and can lay my griddle across two and have the 3rd for something else.
I briefly peeped those last night and wanted to look into them more. You have been happy with that burner over your Coleman burners huh? What downfalls, if any, can you point out about the stansport?

Blackclover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Roe
Also, how is the simmer/low heat control of the stansport?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Very good. The center burner is a lower btu and the control is fine enough on the big burners.

The Colemans were what I've used my whole life. When I went from gas to propane I noticed the drop in btu but it didn't bother me. The last few years it did. A higher max btu and a fine control is why most people end up with the Partner stoves. The btu output of mine is pretty close and the only flaw I have is its size.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Have you considered an OLD Colman dual burner? One of the things you need to determine is how much room you have for a stove and stove accessories. Some of the really nice units are waaaaaay to big for my need and storage capacity.

I have been using a Colman 425 I was given many, many years ago because it was missing the red liquid fuel tank. I use a propane converter and run the old stove off 1lb bottles or a larger tank with adapter hose. It works great for typical camp food. It will struggle if you are attempting to boil gallons of water and the temperature will probably fluctuate too much to make candy. I have no issues with wind thanks to the burners being deep into the case unlike the typical modern stove. The best part is, you can find a decent stove for $10 or less if it's missing the red fuel tank.
1655923055478.png

The green bottle and adapter also fit inside the stove for easy transportation, just like the red fuel tank would.
1655923093253.png

This old stove works well with the Colman camp oven. Crispy peach cobbler at 10,000' in Colorado is a nice treat. I got a little impatient on this one last year and turned the stove up quite high. You can see the scorched paint under the oven... oops.
1655923111561.png

Here is the propane converter I am using with the stove. STANSPORT PROPANE CONVERTER FOR LIQUID FUEL STOVES.

Blackclover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Roe
Have you considered an OLD Colman dual burner? One of the things you need to determine is how much room you have for a stove and stove accessories. Some of the really nice units are waaaaaay to big for my need and storage capacity.

I have been using a Colman 425 I was given many, many years ago because it was missing the red liquid fuel tank. I use a propane converter and run the old stove off 1lb bottles or a larger tank with adapter hose. It works great for typical camp food. It will struggle if you are attempting to boil gallons of water and the temperature will probably fluctuate too much to make candy. I have no issues with wind thanks to the burners being deep into the case unlike the typical modern stove. The best part is, you can find a decent stove for $10 or less if it's missing the red fuel tank.
View attachment 233807

The green bottle and adapter also fit inside the stove for easy transportation, just like the red fuel tank would.
View attachment 233808

This old stove works well with the Colman camp oven. Crispy peach cobbler at 10,000' in Colorado is a nice treat. I got a little impatient on this one last year and turned the stove up quite high. You can see the scorched paint under the oven... oops.
View attachment 233809

Here is the propane converter I am using with the stove. STANSPORT PROPANE CONVERTER FOR LIQUID FUEL STOVES.
Awesome thanks for tip! I have had my eyes in the old Coleman stoves. I grew up using one with my dad camping and he still uses the same one to this day. Simply a work horse. For space to store, I built a drawer system into the back of my xj that should fit most stoves no problem. Just weighing in on buying a new shiny stove or getting an old Coleman. Maybe I’ll get both as I do love the old stoves. I am starting to eye those stansport 3 burners now though.

Too many options now days

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I carry an 11 lb propane tank that will run my stove, heater, shower, a lantern, and recharge my 1-lb cylinder. I have a 1990s Coleman 2-burner I carry that runs off propane, but lately I've been swapping in an early 80s white gas single-burner. The propane model makes the most sense with my setup, but is overkill for most of my camp cooking.

Reactions: kunstmilch

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

View attachment 233807

View attachment 233808

View attachment 233809

If you are going to travel through countries and not just go camping and call it overlanding, this set up above it the way to go.