Rank II

Enthusiast II

Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Roe
Good morning,
I am currently in the market to get a portable two burner propane stove but I am having trouble figuring out which one to buy. There are so many on the market now. I have had my eye on the Camp Chef Everest 2X, the GSI 540, and the Eruika! Ignite plus. I also am a Coleman fan but unsure of the quality of the new models as I have had some issues in the more recent past. Anyone out there use any of the stoves I mentioned above? Your thoughts and real life use of these or others would be much appreciated.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Do you use both burners? I realized that we never used both burners simultaneously and that they are typically spaced really close together making using both simultaneously inconvenient. Anyway, I picked up a single burner dual fuel stove and have been happy with it. Uses about half the space stowed and works like a charm for us. Your mileage may vary of course.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
^^Great advice^^

We don't use any of those brands but we do have a 2 burner propane and a single burner butane stove. Doing over we'd buy two of the single burner butane/propane stoves that are available today. That being said, we rarely use both burners and we are big coffee drinkers so it's great to pull out the small single burner and make a pot of coffee when we pull over at a beautiful spot. While we can use the single burner inside the van, we usually just set it up on the front bumper to make coffee. It also makes for a great way to make new friends, especially when it's cold :wink:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
One thing that the single burner stoves typically lack, at least the ones that I have looked at, is any sort of wind screen. I use one of these, packs up small and lives in the plastic box with the stove. Convenient and I don't lose it - though I sometimes wonder where in the heck that I put it until I open up the stove box. Hahaha

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have a Coleman 2 burner propane stove and rarely use it. I use my Coleman single burner stove all the time.

Coleman Powerpack Propane Stove : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

If you can find one of these grab it! I have one and it allows you to connect directly to a larger propane cylinder (5 lb. in my case). Unfortunately Amazon has not offered them for over a year now.

MENSI 3 Feet Hose with 12PSI High Pressure Regulator Connect 1LB Bottle for Coleman Propane Classic Powepack Camping Stove : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

Reactions: Ubiety

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
If you have an old Coleman just use that unless its not working for you (which I imagine would be the case since you posted). Michael just dropped a video that includes a stove they like and it has some nice features, but its butane. If youre in this for the long haul and you like simple and sturdy theres always the Partner Stove and you can customize it to your liking, I particularly like two separate single burners that can be one unit and separated at will, but these are on the expensive side. If you give a bit more information regarding your style of travel and stay plus cooking style it could go a long way toward recommendations.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We are also looking for a new stove. seems like most manufactures are concentrating on how many btu's thier burners can produce. Michelle loves to use her Omnia oven and has problems with our current stoves not having enough control to reduce the flame to a simmer. Reading the online reviews it seems like so many stoves are suffering from poor quality and cheap construction, even the camp chefs. I love my old white gas coleman, and like the idea of the the cook partners, but both are very large form factors which play against the limited space in a JKU. and the cook partners are also a long lead time.

Current stove is a dual burner no name propane unit sourced from a garage sale, super thin and works well except for low heat flame control. we carry the green 1lb cylinders and also our Mr. Buddy hose that allows connection to the large bottles. For heating water for coffee or freeze dried meals we use the good old Jet boil as it is super fast and always in the rig.

We have a butane single burner that is only good for summer use as the output is horrible in winter temps and it has no wind shield.

At the NW Overland Rally this weekend the winds were so gusty, even though the two burner had wind screens we eneded up placing our folding solar panel on edge on the table to get enough protection to stop the flames from blowing out.

Blackclover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Roe
If you have an old Coleman just use that unless its not working for you (which I imagine would be the case since you posted). Michael just dropped a video that includes a stove they like and it has some nice features, but its butane. If youre in this for the long haul and you like simple and sturdy theres always the Partner Stove and you can customize it to your liking, I particularly like two separate single burners that can be one unit and separated at will, but these are on the expensive side. If you give a bit more information regarding your style of travel and stay plus cooking style it could go a long way toward recommendations.
For my travel it’s weekend trips and I also do a fair amount of over night travel for work, where I’m sleeping in my car and working through the night. I have been bringing my small bbq and throwing it in the back of my xj. I like to utilize both my 8 and 10” cast iron for the meals I make and also my flat iron lodge cast iron I have. So the two burner is ideal for me as I will constantly be utilizing both burners. Hope that helps give a little more insight. That’s why I’ve landed on the Everest 2X and Ignite plus.

Blackclover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Roe
I love this stove. Big enough for two burner cooking.

This is the one I’ve mainly been landing on. What things do you like about it and what things do you see as downfalls of this stove so far?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

My Camp Chief Everest broke after less than 5 trips, the line between the two burners broke at the joint. I have had Colemans, Primus, also. I purchased a Camp Partner stove and I love. They are not cheap, great flame control, hot enough to make coffee fairly quickly, best built most thought out stove on the market.

Blackclover

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Brian
Last Name
Roe
My Camp Chief Everest broke after less than 5 trips, the line between the two burners broke at the joint. I have had Colemans, Primus, also. I purchased a Camp Partner stove and I love. They are not cheap, great flame control, hot enough to make coffee fairly quickly, best built most thought out stove on the market.
Just checked those out. They look great but sadly the price point is a bit more than I’m looking to spend. Thanks for the tip though.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We are also looking for a new stove. seems like most manufactures are concentrating on how many btu's thier burners can produce. Michelle loves to use her Omnia oven and has problems with our current stoves not having enough control to reduce the flame to a simmer. Reading the online reviews it seems like so many stoves are suffering from poor quality and cheap construction, even the camp chefs. I love my old white gas coleman, and like the idea of the the cook partners, but both are very large form factors which play against the limited space in a JKU. and the cook partners are also a long lead time.

Current stove is a dual burner no name propane unit sourced from a garage sale, super thin and works well except for low heat flame control. we carry the green 1lb cylinders and also our Mr. Buddy hose that allows connection to the large bottles. For heating water for coffee or freeze dried meals we use the good old Jet boil as it is super fast and always in the rig.

We have a butane single burner that is only good for summer use as the output is horrible in winter temps and it has no wind shield.

At the NW Overland Rally this weekend the winds were so gusty, even though the two burner had wind screens we eneded up placing our folding solar panel on edge on the table to get enough protection to stop the flames from blowing out.
Our current stoves are a 2 burner 18" Partner Steel cook partner and an Iwatani butane single burner. Fortunately those were both much cheaper in 2015 when we bought them. Our single requirement was our stoves had to simmer, which both of those do. Long ago I tried to figure out how to make an adapter to run our Iwatani off of our refillable propane tank, it's easy to run the propane stoves off of the butane cartridges with an off the shelf adapter. Maybe I'll start looking into it again. Our Iwatani is a trooper and we used it over 14,000ft continuously during the South American winter. I worry the new ones aren't as good as I've been wanting to pick up a spare because we love it so much. If it was dual fuel our Partner Steel would have been sold long ago. The Cook Partner is a great stove but that little single burner has earned a place of infamy.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

I second the “JetBoil”… I have switched over to a similar stove system and am not looking back… ok I’m looking back and thinking about getting a multi-fuel stove like the MSR WhisperLight Universal Muliti-Fuel Stove because it runs on propane, white gas, kerosene, diesel, and even unleaded fuel. It also features very easy to adjust flame control to bring liquids down to just under a simmer.

If a larger system is a must… check out the Blackstone Grills or Skottle.

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
This is the same thing without the gauge from Mr. Heater, we use it with both the buddy heater and our propane stoves, they say the mr heater one does not leach oils that the generic ones do that can clog a mr buddy heater. have used it for three years and had no isuse with either the heater or stoves. allways carry a spare 1# green tank just in case I get carried away and use all the large tank propane in the fire pit.. not that that has happened (recently) lol

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Just checked those out. They look great but sadly the price point is a bit more than I’m looking to spend. Thanks for the tip though.
I wish camp partners were available 40 years ago, I would have need to replace my others.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This is the same thing without the gauge from Mr. Heater, we use it with both the buddy heater and our propane stoves, they say the mr heater one does not leach oils that the generic ones do that can clog a mr buddy heater. have used it for three years and had no isuse with either the heater or stoves. allways carry a spare 1# green tank just in case I get carried away and use all the large tank propane in the fire pit.. not that that has happened (recently) lol

I have been using the same hose (or similar) since about 1998 without any issues.. bought two more of the exact hose last year for my second buddy heater and for my lantern.

Reactions: OTH Overland

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I second the “JetBoil”… I have switched over to a similar stove system and am not looking back… ok I’m looking back and thinking about getting a multi-fuel stove like the MSR WhisperLight Universal Muliti-Fuel Stove because it runs on propane, white gas, kerosene, diesel, and even unleaded fuel. It also features very easy to adjust flame control to bring liquids down to just under a simmer.

If a larger system is a must… check out the Blackstone Grills or Skottle.
Like the idea of a blackstone or skottle (really like the I Kamper version of the skottle that @Bagallthethings has, even more expensive then Tembos version, but has so many more options for use such as hanging over a fire on its tripod, and using the burner separatly its work the extra coin I think) but those are so big and heavy for my already overloaded Jeep that they would be relagated to the Ram or motorhome basecamp in my case.