Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have four of those gutter lights and not been out to see how they work. I see you have six and looks like I need a couple more for my sides. From your pic I think two more on the rear would knock out that dark spot back there. Thanks for the pic, glad to see people out again in the boonies.

probablytheguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

I have four of those gutter lights and not been out to see how they work. I see you have six and looks like I need a couple more for my sides. From your pic I think two more on the rear would knock out that dark spot back there. Thanks for the pic, glad to see people out again in the boonies.
We have plans to do both the rear as well as add some to my hatch when it is open.

We are in development of the rear now, just gotta adjust the file to print em.
117697531_313460013233403_4628435902464406737_n(1).jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
We have plans to do both the rear as well as add some to my hatch when it is open.

We are in development of the rear now, just gotta adjust the file to print em.
View attachment 170191
You print your own lights or the bracketing ? Amazing technology these days. That's a neat rack by the way. Very sophisticated compared to the one I have on my 2000 LRD2 rig.

probablytheguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

You print your own lights or the bracketing ? Amazing technology these days. That's a neat rack by the way. Very sophisticated compared to the one I have on my 2000 LRD2 rig.
We print the bracket for use on bowfin racks, could probably work on a prinsu but everyone we know has a bowfin so testing it is harder so far.
Still in the prototyping phases, I used this trip to field test them and only have a couple of simple notes so far to attend to.
@shawneeoutfitters on instagram to see what we are up to, it's just a fun passion project with my buddy James @ Voodoo Cruisers in Southern Illinois.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My instagram( Expo_d1 ) is where i post everything. the OB1 app still does not allow for quality photos to be posted :disrelieved:
Okay thanks. I dont use Instagram or I should say I dont know how to use it and won't use Facebook either. I guess this is my only social media if I can call it that.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Okay thanks. I dont use Instagram or I should say I dont know how to use it and won't use Facebook either. I guess this is my only social media if I can call it that.
................."and won't use Facebook either. I guess this is my only social media if I can call it that."..............

Basically my thought also. I posted why I joined Instagram......For the OB crowd and other like minded people, after mulling it over for almost 2 years. I am still trying to learn how to use it beyond it's most simple aspects.

@DesertRunner-lv

Last edited:

ryancarman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pakenham, ON, Canada
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Carman
Member #

Some of campsites from our recent trip to the Rockies.

Brule lake PLUZ (Alberta)
IMG_3169.JPEG

Kiska/Wilson PLUZ (Alberta)
IMG_5978.jpg

Livingstone PLUZ near Alberta Highway 40 (Forestry Trunk Road)
IMG_3316.JPEG

Kinbasket Lake, at the foot of Canoe Montain near Valmount British columbia
IMG_3187.JPEG

Kicking Horse River, just outside Yoho National park. Right on the river bed, Not somewhere you can camp in the spring.
My eyeball measure had us about 2-3 feet below the high water marks...
IMG_5962.jpgIMG_5963.JPEGIMG_3355.JPEG

Finally, my favourite site on the trip, we had packed up before we remembered to take a pic. Still epic!
Kootenay River.
182F0DF4-9CF9-48C3-A537-52345C755525.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Some of campsites from our recent trip to the Rockies.

Brule lake PLUZ (Alberta)
View attachment 170195

Kiska/Wilson PLUZ (Alberta)
View attachment 170198

Livingstone PLUZ near Alberta Highway 40 (Forestry Trunk Road)
View attachment 170197

Kinbasket Lake, at the foot of Canoe Montain near Valmount British columbia
View attachment 170196

Kicking Horse River, just outside Yoho National park. Right on the river bed, Not somewhere you can camp in the spring.
My eyeball measure had us about 2-3 feet below the high water marks...
View attachment 170200View attachment 170199View attachment 170202

Finally, my favourite site on the trip, we had packed up before we remembered to take a pic. Still epic!
Kootenay River.
View attachment 170204
I very much like your rig, your pictures and your adventures. I'd like to hear all about your rig and what you have done to it that I cant see in this post. Your snorkel is very different than what I have seen on others Disco's. Also noticed your still wearing the factory bumpers and wonder how you have managed to do that without damaging the plastic. It dosent appear that you have a winch either. Going solo aren't you fearful of getting stuck somewhere on the back woods trails ? Thanks for this post, the forests and rivers are beautiful.

ryancarman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pakenham, ON, Canada
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Carman
Member #

I very much like your rig, your pictures and your adventures. I'd like to hear all about your rig and what you have done to it that I cant see in this post. Your snorkel is very different than what I have seen on others Disco's. Also noticed your still wearing the factory bumpers and wonder how you have managed to do that without damaging the plastic. It dosent appear that you have a winch either. Going solo aren't you fearful of getting stuck somewhere on the back woods trails ? Thanks for this post, the forests and rivers are beautiful.
Hey Lanlubber!

Let me hit you back one at a time ;). The concept of getting stuck is always on my mind, but I'm cautious. You really have to make a solid effort to get stuck. I won't take the car near anything that resembles a beach or dunes when I'm alone, it's not work hours of digging to free myself. On the trails i'll turn around before attacking a big mud hole. I do carry straps, tree straps and a handful of shackles, along with my high lift jack and a shovel. If i got myself into a stucky situation i could get myself out, it would be a lot of work but I could manage.

I've only owned the car for two years and my priorities went:
  • General maintenance
  • Suspension
  • Wheels and tires
  • Sliders
  • Roof rack
  • Tent
  • House battery setup
  • 12v compressor fridge
  • Scene lighting
Future plans:
  • Heavier springs
  • Drawer system
  • Bumpers & winch
  • Forward lighting
Its a work in progress but I'm not going to sit at home until the truck is perfect, and I want to get out and use it and see where I need to improve. A good example is that the medium springs I have in the car are not stiff enough even without bumpers so the next step is to get HD springs. And honestly if I smash up those factory bumpers, which isn't likely as we don't wheel the car that hard it'll just be a good excuse to replace them :P

The Snorkel is from a company called Southdown in th UK. LINK I liked it because it has an old school look that I think fits the truck nicely. As well as being much more affordable than the "Safari" brand unit.

I appreciate your comments I'm hoping to write up a full trip report, and share it with everyone :).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey Lanlubber!

Let me hit you back one at a time ;). The concept of getting stuck is always on my mind, but I'm cautious. You really have to make a solid effort to get stuck. I won't take the car near anything that resembles a beach or dunes when I'm alone, it's not work hours of digging to free myself. On the trails i'll turn around before attacking a big mud hole. I do carry straps, tree straps and a handful of shackles, along with my high lift jack and a shovel. If i got myself into a stucky situation i could get myself out, it would be a lot of work but I could manage.

• General maintenance
  • Suspension
  • Wheels and tires
  • Sliders
  • Roof rack
  • Tent
  • House battery setup
  • 12v compressor fridge
  • Scene lighting
Future plans:
  • Heavier springs
  • Drawer system
  • Bumpers & winch
  • Forward lighting
Its a work in progress but I'm not going to sit at home until the truck is perfect, and I want to get out and use it and see where I need to improve. A good example is that the medium springs I have in the car are not stiff enough even without bumpers so the next step is to get HD springs. And honestly if I smash up those factory bumpers, which isn't likely as we don't wheel the car that hard it'll just be a good excuse to replace them :P

The Snorkel is from a company called Southdown in th UK. LINK I liked it because it has an old school look that I think fits the truck nicely. As well as being much more affordable than the "Safari" brand unit.

I appreciate your comments I'm hoping to write up a full trip report, and share it with everyone :).
Thank you for this post. It seems we are pretty much on the same build path. I purchased my 2000 disco in Feb 2019. It was a one owner with 101,000 miles. The owner was the kind of guy who maintained it properly but let little things go that didn't effect the cars drive ability. Example, if a window quit working properly he just wouldn't use it.

When I got it three of the four windows didn't operate. They all had good motors but the window rollers were shot. I replaced the front window rollers with new units. The brake light switch was not working but he didn't even know it was out until I told him after I found out quite accidentally. The plastic bumper in the rear was so broken it wouldn't hold the tail lights. The seller told me it got cracked when he dropped the spare tire on it and that started the crack and over time it just got worse. Anyway I bought a lucky8 rear steel bumper for it and that fixed the problem and gave me s good off road bumper.

The front bumper wasn't in too bad a shape but it limited my tire size so I replaced it with the lucky8 steel winch bumper and added a light bar to the new bumper. I felt it still needed a bit of a lift so I added 2" lift spacers from lucky8 and then bought new 265/75/16
Goodyear Ultraterrane A/T tires and four 1" wheel spacers for a better and wider stance.
I purchased the lucky8 rock sliders but have yet to install them.

I have most of the things you mentioned, a few more and a few less but like you I am working on it still. I'm in the recovery stage of a recent colon cancer operation and have been slowed down since May on my build.
I dont have the winch yet (no hurry) or a snorkel but I dont plan on going swimming just yet. I do want one and like yours for the same reason as you.

My roof rack was made in Africa for a diplomats disco. He sold his disco when he returned to the states and I was lucky to buy it from his wife who said it was taking up too much garage space, I paid her $400 for it and feel like I stole it. This is a pic of my Disco as it sits presently without the rack on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey Lanlubber!

• General maintenance
  • Suspension
  • Wheels and tires
  • Sliders
  • Roof rack
  • Tent
  • House battery setup
  • 12v compressor fridge
  • Scene lighting
Future plans:
  • Heavier springs
  • Drawer system
  • Bumpers & winch
  • Forward lighting

(I appreciate your comments I'm hoping to write up a full trip report, and share it with everyone :). )

I'm hoping you do that soon. I'd like to see how you handled the house battery issue as that is something I have been holding up on doing. I have most of the lighting I want to add but after another recent post in this thread, I realized I need to purchase 4 more exterior lights for the rear of the Disco and under the rear hatch similar to your lights. I currently have 2-9" driving lights to set on top of my light bar and I have 4 lights (2 for each side) for my roof rack. You cant get enough light out there in the boonies until after you get set up with the camp lights. There are so many little things that can make camping a lot more fun when you have them. Like you said, you add as you find your needs. Being slightly handicapped I need a few more things than the average camper needs. I need to get with it on the interior build. I have what I need to build what I want, it's just getting it done and finalizing a layout I can live with since I want to be able to sleep in my rig while on the road to my destination. Then I can Tent camp once there.

ryancarman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pakenham, ON, Canada
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Carman
Member #

Hey Lanlubber!

• General maintenance
  • Suspension
  • Wheels and tires
  • Sliders
  • Roof rack
  • Tent
  • House battery setup
  • 12v compressor fridge
  • Scene lighting
Future plans:
  • Heavier springs
  • Drawer system
  • Bumpers & winch
  • Forward lighting

(I appreciate your comments I'm hoping to write up a full trip report, and share it with everyone :). )

I'm hoping you do that soon. I'd like to see how you handled the house battery issue as that is something I have been holding up on doing. I have most of the lighting I want to add but after another recent post in this thread, I realized I need to purchase 4 more exterior lights for the rear of the Disco and under the rear hatch similar to your lights. I currently have 2-9" driving lights to set on top of my light bar and I have 4 lights (2 for each side) for my roof rack. You cant get enough light out there in the boonies until after you get set up with the camp lights. There are so many little things that can make camping a lot more fun when you have them. Like you said, you add as you find your needs. Being slightly handicapped I need a few more things than the average camper needs. I need to get with it on the interior build. I have what I need to build what I want, it's just getting it done and finalizing a layout I can live with since I want to be able to sleep in my rig while on the road to my destination. Then I can Tent camp once there.
Sounds excellent

I have to remind myself Rome wasn’t built in a day either...

ryancarman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pakenham, ON, Canada
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Carman
Member #

Hey Lanlubber!

• General maintenance
  • Suspension
  • Wheels and tires
  • Sliders
  • Roof rack
  • Tent
  • House battery setup
  • 12v compressor fridge
  • Scene lighting
Future plans:
  • Heavier springs
  • Drawer system
  • Bumpers & winch
  • Forward lighting

Thank you for this post. It seems we are pretty much on the same build path. I purchased my 2000 disco in Feb 2019. It was a one owner with 101,000 miles. The owner was the kind of guy who maintained it properly but let little things go that didn't effect the cars drive ability. Example, if a window quit working properly he just wouldn't use it.

When I got it three of the four windows didn't operate. They all had good motors but the window rollers were shot. I replaced the front window rollers with new units. The brake light switch was not working but he didn't even know it was out until I told him after I found out quite accidentally. The plastic bumper in the rear was so broken it wouldn't hold the tail lights. The seller told me it got cracked when he dropped the spare tire on it and that started the crack and over time it just got worse. Anyway I bought a lucky8 rear steel bumper for it and that fixed the problem and gave me s good off road bumper.

The front bumper wasn't in too bad a shape but it limited my tire size so I replaced it with the lucky8 steel winch bumper and added a light bar to the new bumper. I felt it still needed a bit of a lift so I added 2" lift spacers from lucky8 and then bought new 265/75/16
Goodyear Ultraterrane A/T tires and four 1" wheel spacers for a better and wider stance.
I purchased the lucky8 rock sliders but have yet to install them.

I have most of the things you mentioned, a few more and a few less but like you I am working on it still. I'm in the recovery stage of a recent colon cancer operation and have been slowed down since May on my build.
I dont have the winch yet (no hurry) or a snorkel but I dont plan on going swimming just yet. I do want one and like yours for the same reason as you.

My roof rack was made in Africa for a diplomats disco. He sold his disco when he returned to the states and I was lucky to buy it from his wife who said it was taking up too much garage space, I paid her $400 for it and feel like I stole it. This is a pic of my Disco as it sits presently without the rack on it.
Sounds like it’s coming along nicely