Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
After our last trip and the third rebuild of our old Coleman lantern it was time to send the lamp to Coleman heaven. It required constant maintenance, not to mention having to replace the bags after every move, which, over the course of just one 5 week tour, cost around 20 bucks. I'm shopping now for an LED, rechargeable lantern. It isn't easy to do cause I don't want to have to buy another basecamp lantern in the near future. I'm thinking about the Apollo. A rechargeable battery pack would be extra, which for us would be the way to go as I just don't want to have to deal with batteries. Does anyone have any thoughts?
261780_21255_M.jpg

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Gas lanterns are great but like you said require maintenance, fuel and take up a good chunk of space. My favorite LED for camp right now is the Goal Zero Lighthouse 400. I don't really like the whole Goal Zero brand and product mix overall mainly cuz it doesn't really mix well with Overland travel but they have been doing impressive stuff with their standalone lighting. It's rechargeable, can be hung or sat on a table, dimmable in 2 modes (5-400lumens), and has a hand crank if you're really out of power. Their are a few more little features too but I love this thing so far. It's all about the warm white LEDs.IMG_3232.JPGMy only pic of it, in the driveway finishing up truck mods. Lighthouse 400 in the tree about 10' from the truck and my LED hatch dome is all that is illuminating the area.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
I actually own a few different lantern systems that I've picked up over the years for our camping gear. Goal Zero, Coleman, WakaWaka... But my latest favorite is the BioLite BaseLantern system that will be released next month (I got ours as part of a crowd funding campaign). They are taking pre-orders now, but you can check them out here.

What's really cool about them is that they are compact, durable, expandable, dimmable, color mixing, and they are bluetooth enabled so that you can monitor their battery status, control them, and they even have proximity detection and a built-in USB powerbank. I also carry their Power Light Mini in my pocket everywhere I go. :)

Judge

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Woodland Hills, CA
Member #

I have the Apollo and I love it. Enough so that I would like another one. I supplement it with these guys and a headlamp and lighting is covered. I don't mind batteries at all...

Attachments

Reactions: Walleyeye

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

After our last trip and the third rebuild of our old Coleman lantern it was time to send the lamp to Coleman heaven. It required constant maintenance, not to mention having to replace the bags after every move, which, over the course of just one 5 week tour, cost around 20 bucks. I'm shopping now for an LED, rechargeable lantern. It isn't easy to do cause I don't want to have to buy another basecamp lantern in the near future. I'm thinking about the Apollo. A rechargeable battery pack would be extra, which for us would be the way to go as I just don't want to have to deal with batteries. Does anyone have any thoughts?
View attachment 12019
Apollo is a great lantern, from first-hand experience.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm thinking about the Apollo. A rechargeable battery pack would be extra, which for us would be the way to go as I just don't want to have to deal with batteries. Does anyone have any thoughts?
View attachment 12019

I have the Black Diamond Apollo LED lantern, and like it a lot. I like that it is dimable, and uses 4 AA batteries, which can be found anywhere.

But instead of proprietary batteries, I prefer to use pre-charged NiMH batteries by Sanyo (now Panasonic) called Eneloop. I have probably 80-100 AA and 50-60 AAA Eneloop batteries, and several chargers. I use them everywhere except outdoors in winter, where I still use alkaline batteries.

The advantage of Eneloop and their ilk, is that, unlike most rechargeable batteries that are dead when you need them, they maintain their charge over time. They will still have 90% after one year and 70% after five years of storage. One of my chargers is USB powered, and can be charged from a car USB port, computer, airport USB charge port, etc. I have two semi-smart Eneloop brand chargers that slow down after reaching charge, and two nicer smart chargers, which can test, discharge/recharge, and charge at various rates. I have a 400W inverter to use the smart chargers on the road. I plan to eventually have solar charging capabilities so that I don't need a running engine to charge the batteries.

This has been a long-term conversion, buying my first Eneloop batteries in 2010, and adding over time. Anything with C123 batteries (mostly flashlights) or button batteries were replaced with AA or AAA powered devices.

Sorry to get off-topic, but this might be interesting to anyone looking at this thread.

Contributor I

Just to throw my 2 cents in here, Ive been using The Siege Lantern from Streamlight for about 4 months now and I gotta say its amazing, Runs 30 hours on high, 3 days on medium and 12 days on low with white LEDs, Has A red Led that has an S.O.S. setting, dirty tough, floats and can hang from just about anywhere. I recently just purchased the Super Siege which is rechargeable and has a USB outlet. Ive only had it for about a week and a half but my wife has already used it during a recent power outage to get ready for work. Long story short, it works really well and has proven well worth the 35 buck i paid for it ( the Super Siege was just over $100 but its bigger and rechargeable)

Reactions: Sean S

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

I have the Black Diamond Apollo LED lantern, and like it a lot. I like that it is dimable, and uses 4 AA batteries, which can be found anywhere.

But instead of proprietary batteries, I prefer to use pre-charged NiMH batteries by Sanyo (now Panasonic) called Eneloop. I have probably 80-100 AA and 50-60 AAA Eneloop batteries, and several chargers. I use them everywhere except outdoors in winter, where I still use alkaline batteries.

The advantage of Eneloop and their ilk, is that, unlike most rechargeable batteries that are dead when you need them, they maintain their charge over time. They will still have 90% after one year and 70% after five years of storage. One of my chargers is USB powered, and can be charged from a car USB port, computer, airport USB charge port, etc. I have two semi-smart Eneloop brand chargers that slow down after reaching charge, and two nicer smart chargers, which can test, discharge/recharge, and charge at various rates. I have a 400W inverter to use the smart chargers on the road. I plan to eventually have solar charging capabilities so that I don't need a running engine to charge the batteries.

This has been a long-term conversion, buying my first Eneloop batteries in 2010, and adding over time. Anything with C123 batteries (mostly flashlights) or button batteries were replaced with AA or AAA powered devices.

Sorry to get off-topic, but this might be interesting to anyone looking at this thread.
This is dead on. If you're going to be relying on electricity for light, make sure you have a good back up. Spare AA's or a travel charger battery can go a long way, and are simpler to replace then fuel and light bags.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Here's my Top 3 for Lanterns and Illumination out there now:
All three are durable, dependable, bright as the sun, and long lasting
I've had the opportunity to use all three long term and I can't complain about any of them.

(in no particular order)

Princeton Tec: Helix

http://princetontec.com/helix-rechargeable

Lightweight, Collapsable, and it glows in the dark!!!!
I think they make a bluetooth controllable version too - for the techies out there.

Gear Aid: Arc Power Station
http://www.gearaid.com/shop/arc-light-power

Super powerful, has different settings for brightness AND temperature - and can charge accessories.
Additionally, you can buy different mounts to adapt it to where you need to put it.

Goal Zero: Lighthouse 400
http://www.goalzero.com/p/379/lighthouse-400-lantern-usb-power-hub

I can go into depth about all of the features this SOB has, but the hand crank had me at hello.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Thanks for all your input guys. With your help and a bit more research on my part I ordered the Goal Zero Lighthouse 400. USB recharging is a priority for us, as we use a dual battery system and a 150 watt solar panel =ing 4 USB outlets. What really got me though, was the hand crank ! I have an old emergency led flashlight that cranks good light every time.

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I just got the Gear Aid Flux. I haven't used it outside of a few tests around the house , but it looks awesome. It appears that it's worth every penny I spent on it.

Now I just need to get it dirty and used it a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I had some built up points on the credit card and on the "gift list" was a Wagan Solar Powered Classic Lantern. I got one and after testing it out I was pretty impressed with the quick charge time and run time. I like the self charging solar idea since that will ease up on power needs. Im going to get 2 more so I will have one for the RTT Annex, one for up in the tent and one for under the awning outside :smiley:

Reactions: Viking1204

odingrey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Reviving an old thread, have you had a chance to use the GZ light yet? I'm curious about it, but that price seems awfully high to me.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Once out of the the box I'm very impressed with the overall quality and sturdyness of the product. It also fits very nicely in a "crown royal" sack. In April we are leaving out for a 6 week tour of the southwest, west and northwest. When we get back I'll write up a complete review if you like.

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I love my Gear Aid Flux. Used it twice now since Christmas and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I love my old Coleman propane lantern. I cant remember how many globes I broke bouncing it around. I found a wire globe a while back and its beyond perfect now. That old hissss is a memory maker of trips long past.