South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I definitely grab a bag from wherever I go! I use a french press on my travels. My brother, being the coffee snob that he is, has "suggested" that I get a hand held grinder to bring with me to make my coffee experience that much better. I don't disagree with him, but am also lazy in the morning! :laughing:
I think the ceramic grinder gives a more even grind so there is less sludge in the last swallow.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Ceramic grinder!? Now we are gettin fancy! That is definitely something I hadn't considered, I usually just suffer with the sludge lol
Eh, it's adjustable and low tech. Makes you appreciate the coffee a little more...and smelling those fresh ground beans! But, that Nescafe instant gets it done too! And, there are several choices.

Reactions: Shahn

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
every trip we do is different, and so it is with our coffee. on the rare occasions we're hanging around camp in the morning and cooking breakfast, then we usually do perk coffee. perk coffee goes great when the morning is cool and crisp and there is a pan of bacon and eggs next to it and maybe a nice view.

we use the aeropress when time is short and only one of us wants coffee before heading out. we also take a french press for the same reason, but its bigger so we both get a cup.

typically, i am up pretty early by myself and i want to get a quick hit of caffeine, so i do a very strong cowboy coffee and then put it thru the french press to strain it and then add condensed milk for the cream taste and sugar rush

we also love hitting local coffee places. we just got back from north georgia and bought coffee from this place. it was pretty good and of course we hung out and chatted with the people there and really enjoyed hearing the story of how they started, etc.

1670072254518.jpeg

Enthusiast II

Sparta, WI, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Harazin
Tasters Choice instant French Roast. If you mix it strong enough it tastes like Army dfac coffee. I got a little plastic french press some time ago that I intended to keep in my teardrop, but instant is just so damn easy.

Reactions: Todd S.

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
We use a Nespresso on the trail... yes. We spoil ourselves. Haha! The upside is pretty damn good coffee anywhere we are. The downside is, we had to put a giant inverter in the car... then more good news. We can run just about anything we want on AC!

Attachments

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I use whole beans, Knock Feldgrind, Aeropress, and a kettle. Throw the kettle in the fire (I also have a jet boil for a backup if there is no fire.) Grind while the water comes to a boil. Aeropress for great coffee! Even though this is simple, I have impressed many people with how good it can be. It's really all about the beans and the grind.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
there's a new way of doing cold brewed that looks pretty interesting...

View attachment 259680
I keep some of these around for driving when a little tired. Does better than the energy drinks. Not as messy as the infusion. I wreckormend the Black Coffee instead of all the flavored stuff.

Reactions: grubworm

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
I've tried most of the common ways to make coffee at camp (perk, French press, pour over) and I've gravitated to a single serve coffee maker since I have electricity and it doesn't need a lot of power. I don't waste any water and clean up is easy. I bring the beans already ground.

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

We grind coffee before we leave. Hopefully make enough. I can do w/o but the wife "needs" it.
We boil water in our JetBoil MiniMo and then use the JetBoil French Press. French press parts pack into the MiniMo.

AcJ

Rank V

Member III

Kootenai County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andrew & April
Last Name
Jansen
Member #

We use a French press (just switched from GSI to a Stanley). Also we grind our coffee and take with us prior to the trip. We use the jet boil for the water. We carry instant….. for those just in case moments. And international house of coffee flavored coffees are great for flavor too.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Instant Folgers and some of that from the fridge flavored creamer in the smaller containers. Boil up a cup or 2 of water in the jet boil throw a table spoon of instant in the Ozark Trail tumbler, pour in the hot water, some creamer stir, drinkin coffee within 5 minutes.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Not how I make it at home, but when I'm out I like ground coffee to keep it simple and use a single serve steel french press that I got as a gift a few years ago. Nice and simple so I can just boil the water right on my grill or fire, rinse it out and reuse it as a pot if I really needed it.

Little tip, add a pinch of cinnamon and a small small dash of salt to your grounds. Makes a little difference in a really nice way.

oldsoldier181

Rank IV

Influencer II

Ayer, Massachusetts, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
reed
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1WTR
Service Branch
Army
Well, I have to confess, this past weekend, on a 4 day trip, I switched over to the old french press. We were in middle VT, and I got some weird flavored coffee grounds, as I had totally forgotten my coffee at home. It is like a caramel something or other. Being a man that drinks coffee black, it tasted odd.
Then I added a touch of maple syrup.
I now have a new love of flavored coffee, lol. Just a hint of sweet in it, made it SO much better! I have resurrected my french press!!