Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Manchester, does anyone have a map of the Class VI roads in NH?
Been posting on the Facebook Page, but... working with Gaia locating to locate those 2 track/dirt out of the way roadsScreen Shot 2020-02-14 at 1.11.38 PM.png. As mud season leaves, I'll be exploring these.

All those Gold lines are possible runs. That's as much as I have so far..

The 2 wheeled folk devised this N/S Route called the Hamster Run. Looks pretty cool!

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 1.15.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: slowrider

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Any familiar with the Franklin Reservoir Area? Assuming it's gated, but is it open in-season? Looks interesting!

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 11.06.46 AM.png

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
I have been in there to do some fishing, never occurred to me to spend the night as it is so close to home, there is a ranger station on site there and I would suggest giving them a call. There are a few places down along the river that might be nice for an overnight but the area isn't as isolated as you might think and frankly, some of the locals can be a bit sketchy. I am not sure I would want to spend the night there unless I was with a few people and maybe my Austrian friend Mr Glock.

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Has anyone explored into the State owned abandoned railroad bed system? Seems there's some 330 miles of it in our state! Also seems the state is interested in making a bit of it available for use. My question is... you know of any around you and is it gated/posted?

Update: Just came back from checking local entry points. Both were marked for Snowmobile or dry ground hike/bike.. I'll check a couple more in my area.

Additional update: Just received response from the state on my inquiries on the abandoned railbeds. Some are open to ATV's, yet none as of now are open to us... Bummer.. They send a link to this site which lists the Rail Trails and restrictions. https://www.nh.gov/dot/programs/bikeped/documents/StateTrailsPlanFullReport.pdf

Last edited:

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
Has anyone explored into the State owned abandoned railroad bed system? Seems there's some 330 miles of it in our state! Also seems the state is interested in making a bit of it available for use. My question is... you know of any around you and is it gated/posted?

Update: Just came back from checking local entry points. Both were marked for Snowmobile or dry ground hike/bike.. I'll check a couple more in my area.

Additional update: Just received response from the state on my inquiries on the abandoned railbeds. Some are open to ATV's, yet none as of now are open to us... Bummer.. They send a link to this site which lists the Rail Trails and restrictions. https://www.nh.gov/dot/programs/bikeped/documents/StateTrailsPlanFullReport.pdf
Nearly all of it that I have seen is gated and posted no wheeled vehicles. If you grab a NH snowmobile trail system map you will note that the two will almost completely overlay each other. You are forbidden from travel on most of them which is unfortunate, but if not atvs would surely have made them completely impassable by now. Sadly not everyone believes in treading lightly.

NHMachinist

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin NH
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Minzner
Member #

well the they just extended it 2 more weeks........... we can do this at my house maybe a cookout

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

well the they just extended it 2 more weeks........... we can do this at my house maybe a cookout
Real shame.. We're outside, like in the lot and coming in to purchase. This is all nuts..

You're willing', I'm in to meet up. You sure there's not a park / panic area nearby we can use? Curious if the Franklin Falls area is open?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Silly, I know, as it's not beer-related, but I have had an epiphany...there is an ice cream place on the river in Lowell Mass called Heritage Farm. They opened on thier normal spring opening day and have been serving through the ice cream windows. I was there like 3 weeks ago on a nice day and they were in full force. They just aren't letting anyone inside for a sit down (they serve burgers and dogs and stews and blah blah blah). They normally also have a classic car night once a week all summer and a motorcycle night weekly on another night.

Is there some place in NH that is operating like that, which we could take our business to EN MASS? That way, whether we go to someone's private residence or not, we could first go somewhere our business is welcome - a mom and pop shop that mught otherwise be struggling. With a parking lot where we could show off our rigs.

And we could show our appreciation through patronage, even if only outside.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: SuburbanSasquatch

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Never been there. Sounds like it might be good. And a petting zoo?! Sawyers as an alternative? More central? I'm not sure where everyone is coming from.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I should add, either works for me. Coming from the Boston area, it's an hour 43 to one, an hour 41 to the other, so not much of a difference for me

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Does anyone want to pick a date? I agree 110% about supporting a business.
Not so much the date but the location (and permission). NH is still in a 'No more than 10' in public places. Just showing up on a business may not be a good idea.. Thinking on their behalf here..

I've rolled into a few woods spots that are Public and remote, but still fairly small (room for 2-3 vehicles). I'm going to check another this weekend.

SuburbanSasquatch

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Troy, New Hampshire
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Eyring
Member #

Not so much the date but the location (and permission). NH is still in a 'No more than 10' in public places. Just showing up on a business may not be a good idea.. Thinking on their behalf here..

I've rolled into a few woods spots that are Public and remote, but still fairly small (room for 2-3 vehicles). I'm going to check another this weekend.
Good point, bummer, but still a good point.