Calgary, Alberta, Canada to Tegucigalpa, Honduras

• HTML tutorial

ToyotaAventureros

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Nanton, Alberta
Member #

Hey guys. Planning to leave in the new year, just getting things all set up.
Any suggestions on gear?
Also more importantly any suggestions on places to stop along the way?
I guess I should also add that we have two young boys (4 & 2) and we will be driving a Toyota Tundra with Four Wheel Camper.
Thanks in advance for any info you guys can offer.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
There are numerous historical interest points along your route. Might I suggest that you plan no more than 500 miles a day. This will allow time to stop at interest points and enjoy the trip. I did this on a trip from Anchorage to Fort Myers in 1996 and it worked out well. Took the kids to Devils Tower, Little big Horn, Mt. Rushmore, Custer National Park and the Badlands. Really Great Trip!

Another interesting point, we were 24 hrs ahead of a storm front that followed us into the mid-west. Every morning it was either snowing or rain when we left, then we would drive out of it and enjoy the day. The next morning was a repeat. It was kinda fascinating.

ToyotaAventureros

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Nanton, Alberta
Member #

There are numerous historical interest points along your route. Might I suggest that you plan no more than 500 miles a day. This will allow time to stop at interest points and enjoy the trip. I did this on a trip from Anchorage to Fort Myers in 1996 and it worked out well. Took the kids to Devils Tower, Little big Horn, Mt. Rushmore, Custer National Park and the Badlands. Really Great Trip!

Another interesting point, we were 24 hrs ahead of a storm front that followed us into the mid-west. Every morning it was either snowing or rain when we left, then we would drive out of it and enjoy the day. The next morning was a repeat. It was kinda fascinating.
Thanks WJ - yes we're certainly planning to limit our travel per day especially with the youngins. Probably won't spend a whole lot of time in the USA or Mexico this time around besides driving through and a few stops here and there. The plan so far is mainly just get to Guatemala, Belize and Honduras and explore. In recent years we have driven Honduras to Costa Rica and had such a great experience we'd love to do the entire PanAm soon.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

TylerC

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
C
Member #

Are you keeping track of your travels online? I'm from Calgary also and would love to do a trip like this with the family. I'd definitely like to see the progression of your travels.

ToyotaAventureros

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Nanton, Alberta
Member #

Are you keeping track of your travels online? I'm from Calgary also and would love to do a trip like this with the family. I'd definitely like to see the progression of your travels.
Hey Tyler,
We haven't decided yet about keeping a blog, maybe just a Facebook account with updates, but if not, we could certainly meet up when we get back and fill you in on how it went.

Reactions: TylerC

12vfummins

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alberta
Member #

I'm from a little north of Calgary myself and would like to follow your journey, the routes and places you go to should you decide to keep a blog.
Keep us updated!

Reactions: ToyotaAventureros

ToyotaAventureros

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Nanton, Alberta
Member #

I'm from a little north of Calgary myself and would like to follow your journey, the routes and places you go to should you decide to keep a blog.
Keep us updated!
Will do! Still not totally sure about a full blog, although maybe some trip reports with route maps. Thanks for the interest!

Nice rig by the way!

Contributor I

Hey guys. Planning to leave in the new year, just getting things all set up.
Any suggestions on gear?
Also more importantly any suggestions on places to stop along the way?
I guess I should also add that we have two young boys (4 & 2) and we will be driving a Toyota Tundra with Four Wheel Camper.
Thanks in advance for any info you guys can offer.
Congrats on starting your next adventure! We're currently in Colombia and drove from Virginia (18+ months ago). We're working our way towards Ushuaia on the PanAm and also have a Toyota Tundra with a 2005 FWC (Four Wheel Camper) Hawk. We loved our time in every country but our favorites (so far) have been Mexico, Honduras and Colombia. The rig has been reliable and we haven't had any major issues. Do you have any specific questions or are you looking for suggestions on anything in particular? We use Facebook, Instagram and have a blog www.TravelAmateurs.com. The blog is a bit outdated due to slow internet speeds and our laziness but it's nice to look back on adventures and be able to update family and friends. :) Let us know if you have any questions as you prepare! Jenna & Josh

ToyotaAventureros

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Nanton, Alberta
Member #

Congrats on starting your next adventure! We're currently in Colombia and drove from Virginia (18+ months ago). We're working our way towards Ushuaia on the PanAm and also have a Toyota Tundra with a 2005 FWC (Four Wheel Camper) Hawk. We loved our time in every country but our favorites (so far) have been Mexico, Honduras and Colombia. The rig has been reliable and we haven't had any major issues. Do you have any specific questions or are you looking for suggestions on anything in particular? We use Facebook, Instagram and have a blog www.TravelAmateurs.com. The blog is a bit outdated due to slow internet speeds and our laziness but it's nice to look back on adventures and be able to update family and friends. :) Let us know if you have any questions as you prepare! Jenna & Josh
Hey Josh & Jenna. Thanks for the response. We already avidly follow your blog and have gotten lots of great ideas from them. We have also been in contact with you guys from time to time. Love your blog and all the info you provide. If you want to follow our little trips (compared to you guys) feel free to search on facebook for @toyotaadventureros

Reactions: TravelAmateurs

Contributor I

Hey Josh & Jenna. Thanks for the response. We already avidly follow your blog and have gotten lots of great ideas from them. We have also been in contact with you guys from time to time. Love your blog and all the info you provide. If you want to follow our little trips (compared to you guys) feel free to search on facebook for @toyotaadventureros
Josh just told me he's talked to you guys lots through e-mail. :) Safe Travels!