CAISOB 2012 Tacoma Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I did pocket flares and just used self tapping screws with fender washers to mount them instead of the plastic push clips they came with and they have held up well.

Stephanie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Goldston, Chatham County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
stephanie
Last Name
Curlee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4CNY
Service Branch
Army
Great looking rig. Hey on your amazon awning. Is it a outsunny? If so, does it have a channel at the back where the awning is attached to the aluminum? I'm trying to see if a ARB tent room will work on one. I Know it has the front channel . I appreciate your help with this.

French

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Irvine California
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Frechette
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Nice Rig! Very inspirational thanks for posting all the great information and pictures.

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

Great looking rig. Hey on your amazon awning. Is it a outsunny? If so, does it have a channel at the back where the awning is attached to the aluminum? I'm trying to see if a ARB tent room will work on one. I Know it has the front channel . I appreciate your help with this.
It is! And, yes, it does have a channel on the back.

Reactions: Stephanie

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

Went out and did some wheeling and camping over the weekend. Met up with a small group on Saturday and enjoyed what Citrus WMA had to offer.
IMG_7846 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
Fun way to start the day Saturday - responding to an SOS from Captain Morgan...
20180519_094126 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7848 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7859 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7878 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7899 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7903 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
20180518_174512 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Reactions: French

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

Just to make sure it has a extra channel where a ARB room can attach under the awning channel?
I'm not familiar with the ARB room, but the channel on the back is the same as the channel the awning slides into. I'll be opening everything up to air out at some point this week (once the rain stops). I'll snap some pictures when I do.

Stephanie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
stephanie
Last Name
Curlee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4CNY
Service Branch
Army
That would be great. Look up ARB touring room. It's really cool. The ARB awning has a channel for the awning part, and a lower channel that the tent/ room slides into. Then there is a front zipper piece that slides into the extra channel at the front of the awning. The rest are clips that attach to the poles. How would you grade the outsunny? Even if it doesn't have the extra channel in the back. I'll buy a awning channel and attach it to the main structure and go from there. I appreciate your help in this. Its actually sunny here today for a change.

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

Yesterday and this morning - Upgraded my comms. I had been using a Midland 75-822 and had a Baofeng UV-5RTP for scanning duties. I recently switched from a 4' Firestik back to an old 102" whip which boosted the hell out of the performance of the Midland. I decided to go with dedicated mobile rigs for both. Cobra 25 WX NW ST for CB and BTECH UV-25X2 for UHF/VHF.

20180526_173339 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Earlier today, I swapped wheels and tires with a Tacomaworld member and joined the dirty-five club

20180526_135120 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Parked next to a stock Taco at Advance Auto Parts

20180526_160652 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Reactions: Stephanie

CAISOB Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cocoa, FL
Member #

So, I have been trying to sort out interior storage/organization and found a couple of good ideas of replacing the rear 60 seat with a flip-up platform. Before I ran to Home Depot to get the items I needed to do the deed, I went through the garage to see what I already had on hand. That's when I spied the pallet that my SOS skids had been delivered on. I decided to repurpose the pallet for the platform!
20180527_112410 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
20180527_123959 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Not too shabby if I say so myself. I've got stuff that I should rarely need under the platform (jumper cables & tools accessible by flipping up the 40 seat, bags with bungee cords & ratchet straps accessible by opening the passenger door). I still want to seal it and add some tie down points to strap down my cooler and other gear that will be back there.

I also met my wit's end yesterday with the craptastic velcro straps on the Smittybilt RTT. I had one strap come loose twice in 5 minutes yesterday, so I rigged a bungee cord to hold the strap in place. Today, I cut off the original straps and replaced them with mil-spec webbing and buckles that I attached to the bed rack. I need to pick up some more tri-glide slides to finish up the webbing management, but I'm much happier with it now.
20180527_133941 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
20180527_133932 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Stephanie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
stephanie
Last Name
Curlee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4CNY
Service Branch
Army
It is! And, yes, it does have a channel on the back.
Hey just got my awning thanks for helping me make the decision. Now the ARB room is next. I hate they discontinued the old version. I don't like the non privacy of the new one. But do like it can act as a sun shade on the front.