Buying a(n) FTM-400xdr, what are the must have accessories?

• HTML tutorial

aahyut

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bridgton, ME
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Biggers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1NMW
7980A8A0-93FD-49F2-BDEA-0D915C31D6F9.jpeg Like the title says I have my cart ready from hro. What else do I need? I just passed my tech test and this will be my first radio. Should I get a specific programming software? I’ll probably do a APRS setup later down the line.

In my cart now is my radio, antenna, mount + cable, and antenna spring.

Thanks!

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Looks like just the RT Systems programming software is all you're missing. Unless you're planning to manually program it, that is.

TSnider

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carbondale, CO
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0UYA
You probably already have, but yes get the RT software. I programmed about 75 repeaters to the sd card in about 15 minutes using the software. Well worth the 25$. It has access to repeater book built right into it.

Reactions: dstock

aahyut

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bridgton, ME
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Biggers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1NMW
Yup got mine in. Used RTS to program which was easy to do.

The only thing I need is a better mounting solution for the mic and head.

Reactions: TSnider

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
On mine, I bought a ten foot extension for the mic and just tuck it in the console through one of the power cord gaps. The control head is sitting on the left side of the dash next to the A pillar secured with 5 pound rated Velcro to facilitate quick removal when not in use.
Wife is gone in the truck ATM, but I’ll snap a pic and post it in the morning when I get back home from work.

aahyut

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bridgton, ME
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Biggers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1NMW
I ordered a Lido mount with the mic holder tonight. It's the one that mounts under the seat. I hope it is strong enough to stay erect during high speed travel off road.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
It should hold up fine. I looked at a similar one, but I’ve already got a GMRS radio and my tablet in that area. The wife commented that she was running out of legroom so I went the Velcro route instead.

Here are a couple of pics for reference (Sorry for the dirty windshield. The pollen is horrible here right now.)

IMG_0131.JPGIMG_0130.JPG

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@jgardner04
Sucks that it's powder coated. You really need to have bare metal to metal contact with the truck and the underside of the mount where the coax attaches. It's obvious that the manufacturers don't understand this.
If you run a 1/2 wave 2m antenna you can run the mount as it is, for 2m anyway.
If you aren't running a shell or a bed rack you should be fine with that mounting location, it will be no worse than a front fender mount.

Also if you don't want to drill out the hole you can get NMO coax with a 3/8" center stud.

Reactions: jgardner04

jgardner04

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HHZ
@jgardner04
Sucks that it's powder coated. You really need to have bare metal to metal contact with the truck and the underside of the mount where the coax attaches. It's obvious that the manufacturers don't understand this.
If you run a 1/2 wave 2m antenna you can run the mount as it is, for 2m anyway.
If you aren't running a shell or a bed rack you should be fine with that mounting location, it will be no worse than a front fender mount.

Also if you don't want to drill out the hole you can get NMO coax with a 3/8" center stud.
Good info. I am new to all of this so anything is helpful.

I have a Diamondback Bed Cover over the bed but nothing on top of it. I ordered the Comet-NCG CA-2x4SR to go with it.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Good luck on your test, I am sure you will breeze right through it.
Considered taking the General exam?

jgardner04

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HHZ
Good luck on your test, I am sure you will breeze right through it.
Considered taking the General exam?
Passed the Technician and almost actually passed the General even though I had not even looked at the material so I might take the general next month. Still waiting to get my call sign in the database and still need to get the radio set up in the truck.

I am probably going to go with a hood lip mount instead of the Caliraised mount now that I have all my equipment in. Will make the final decision when I do the install. Might try to do it on Friday.

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I found the Yaesu MLS-200-M10 external speaker was a good accessory to get. Works well with the FTM-400XDR and is loud and clear, even jammed behind the dash.