Bumpers for Jeep JL Rubicon

• Thread starter Deleted member 49645
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
Hey all,

Have a new Jeep JLUR that I’m starting to build out as an overlander but I want it to be capable for moderate off-roading. First to be replaced is the plastic bumpers! The problem I’m faced with is the weight. The steel bumpers that appear to be the most protective are well over 100 lbs. The ones I’m leaning towards is the Smittybilt XRC Gen 2, front and back; 130lb in front and 107lb in back. There’s a number of lighter steel bumpers in the 75lb range but they’re just thin steel shells and I feel they’re just a waste of money. The aluminum bumpers are nice but too exspendy at the moment.

What to do? Go with the heavy duty and deal with less payload or go light with more payload?

Thoughts?

Reactions: Marman

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
I have a steel aftermarket front bumper with winch on my jl , It was the first thing I installed!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Hey all,

Have a new Jeep JLUR that I’m starting to build out as an overlander but I want it to be capable for moderate off-roading. First to be replaced is the plastic bumpers! The problem I’m faced with is the weight. The steel bumpers that appear to be the most protective are well over 100 lbs. The ones I’m leaning towards is the Smittybilt XRC Gen 2, front and back; 130lb in front and 107lb in back. There’s a number of lighter steel bumpers in the 75lb range but they’re just thin steel shells and I feel they’re just a waste of money. The aluminum bumpers are nice but too exspendy at the moment.

What to do? Go with the heavy duty and deal with less payload or go light with more payload?

Thoughts?
Smiyybilt is not a great choice for best buy or strength or engineering. Try AEV for bumpers, they actually engineer in strength vs weight and might be the best buy.

Reactions: Ubiety
Thanks guys. I’ve been shopping around for something other than smittybilt. I found MetalCloak and their “frame built” bumpers look decent. I did talk to AEV since I’m probably going with their 2.5” lift. Their JL bumper isn’t available yet but I do like the front, not so much the back.

Reactions: Ubiety

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
I am looking hard at the CavFab rear bumper (have Jeep steel front bumper with winch already). I really like the wrap around for some added protection, not sure on the weigh though.

CavFab Rear bumper