Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

I just purchased a 2004 Nissan Xterra. I want to add a winch to the front. But the only bumper I can find is an ARB. Darn things cost half of what I paid for the vehicle. So my question is this...can a 9500 lb. winch be attached to a heavy duty bush guard that attaches directly to the frame?

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Got a link to the product? Most people think of brush guards as silly add ons that have no practical function or purpose beyond appearance. If the bumper you are referring to fully bolts and integrates to the vehicle frame , then adding a winch should be no issue...

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

You would need something like a winch cradle. A very strong box that the winch feet mount to that is well attached to the frame. A good bumper like the ARB has that built into it with correct mounts and fairlead placement. You can't go wrong with an ARB bullbar IMO.

Here is what the inside of my Summit bar looked like as I was putting it together. You can see where the winch goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2 and smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
When I build winch mounts, I make a "box" out of 1/4 plate. The bumper/brush guard is attached to that. When looking at properly made winch bumpers, this is something you look for. That's one of the reasons those bumpers are so expensive.

Scott

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

With a quick google search I found a half dozen winch bumpers for the 2000-2004 Xterra by typing "Xterra 2004 winch bumper" Nothing custom is going to be cheap. The cheapest being just over $500.

If your looking for the cheapest route find a local fabricator or welder and get them to build a custom winch plate on the existing bumper.

I would not trust the premade brush guards or push bar type bolt ons to hold enough force when winching without modifying them which goes back to the custom winch plate being cheaper and more reliable.

Last edited:

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gives me a lot more options.

Offroadtb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

When i make my bumpers i always start out with a 3/16" plate that goes across the top of the frame from one side to another. This acts as the cradle mount, the next piece is front fascia and it wraps around to the bottom and this is the front of your bumper. This photo is looking into the inside of the bumper as it attaches. There are only 4 holes that the bolt goes through the frame attaching it. I use t1 100 grade domex for the added strength.

Attachments

Reactions: The other Sean

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
When I build winch mounts, I make a "box" out of 1/4 plate. The bumper/brush guard is attached to that. When looking at properly made winch bumpers, this is something you look for. That's one of the reasons those bumpers are so expensive.

Scott
Probably something more important, that is given a thought in passing, is how that new bumper is attached to the vehicles frame. There are vidios of recoverys causing those bumpers to tear off. Those attach points can not be done with 2, or 4 bolts. 6 is good, and 8 is best. That gives 4 to a side, which insures a safe working load, especially in challenging MUD conditions.

I once watched a bumper pull that resulted in the trucks 2 frame ends joining each other due to the winch pull exceeding the frames strength. That is also where a proper BOXED WINCH MOUNT has the ability to keep that from happening. If you do decide on a winch bumper, ask how many bolts each side of the bumper has for those frame boxes. Some good nice looking bumpers are not as strong as they should be.

Just something to keep in mind[emoji2]

Reactions: The other Sean